Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell Me About Your Tubeless (Road) Tire Setup
Quote | Reply
Just as the title states. I'm curious to know:

1. What tires have you used?
2. What rims were they mounted on?
3. How hard was the installation?
4. How many flats have you had since going tubeless?
5. How difficult was it to repair the flat?

Thanks to all who respond. I'm hoping to turn this thread into a resource for the forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me About Your Tubeless (Road) Tire Setup [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. What tires have you used? Vittoria Corsa Speed Open TLR
2. What rims were they mounted on? HED Jet+ 6
3. How hard was the installation? Almost impossible (had to use metal tire lever)
4. How many flats have you had since going tubeless? 1 after about 200 miles of riding (I stopped using these after the first flat)
5. How difficult was it to repair the flat? Impossible. The cut was large enough that the very thin tire would not grip a tire plug.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1. What tires have you used? Spesh Roubax. Not a race tire, but I love it for everyday riding.
2. What rims were they mounted on? Shimano Ultegra
3. How hard was the installation? Hard the first time. Much, much easier once you figure out the tricks, like leaving the tire in the sun first.
4. How many flats have you had since going tubeless? One.
5. How difficult was it to repair the flat? Couldn't easily fix on the road - it was a big cut. I booted it once I was home and it's held ever since. The tire is pretty close to it's bitter end, now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

1. What tires have you used? corsa speed
2. What rims were they mounted on? hed jet 9
3. How hard was the installation? one tire i had to use a lever the other tire i did with bare hands I think they must be making the tires bigger now... I haven't ridden them yet I just wanted let people know that they aren't that hard to mount. funny thing the easy tire had a greenish label on the tire itself and the harder to mount i ordered a month earlier was a grayish label but really it wasn't that hard to mount. ( i had bought a tire jack in fear but no need)

Thanks to all who respond. I'm hoping to turn this thread into a resource for the forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Bontrager R2, R3, R4; IRC Roadlite, Formula Pro Light, Formula Pro RBCC; Specialized Roubaix 2Bliss; Schwalbe Ultremo ZX, One, Pro One. I have a pair of Hutchinson Fusion5 Performance, but have not mounted or used them yet.

HiFi Mix Tape, American Classic Victory 30, American Classic Argent, Velocity A23, Shimano 6700.

Varied, but the Specialized were generally the easiest (could do with fingers), followed by the Schwalbes. The Bontragers are the hardest. The American Classic rims were harder than the others. I have a Kool StopTire Bead Jack that makes installation a bit easier as well.

I average maybe 3 - 4 road flats per year in ~8000 miles per year of riding. I've been on road tubeless since 2011. I was an early adopter since there are goatheads where I live (NM), and I ride road bikes on dirt pretty regularly.

I've never attempted a "repair", if sealant doesn't work after a minute or two of fussing with it I just put in a tube. I've carried Hutchinson FastAir (sealant and CO2 in one can) with me sometimes, but have yet to use it. To repair a tire at home (assuming the cut/hole isn't too big), I just use a standard patch and keep using the tire.

I also have experience with a number of gravel/CX tires and rims, but you asked for road - so I limited it to that.
Last edited by: vjohn: Apr 3, 18 12:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. What tires have you used? Panaracer Race A Evo 3 (23mm)
2. What rims were they mounted on? Bontrager Paradigm TLR
3. How hard was the installation? Getting the tire on the rim wasn't too hard, needed a compressor to inflate though.
4. How many flats have you had since going tubeless? None (did probably 2000 miles on this setup)
5. How difficult was it to repair the flat? N/A

1. What tires have you used? Schwalbe Pro One (25mm)
2. What rims were they mounted on? Bontrager Aeolus (3 front, 5 rear)
3. How hard was the installation? Getting the tire on was like wrestling Godzilla. I didn't use Schwalbe's rim lube stuff though. Inflation after that was trivial, just a hand pump required. And the system held air well before I put sealant in.
4. How many flats have you had since going tubeless? None (I've been using this setup for a little over 1000 miles now).
5. How difficult was it to repair the flat? N/A
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me About Your Tubeless (Road) Tire Setup [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How hard is it to get one of the Schwalbe tires off to put a tube on in the event of a repair?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless 23c, Compass Bon Jon Pass 35c (gravel bike)

- Schwalbes are currently mounted on Stans Alpha 340's.
- Compass are mounted on Stans Grail.

- Schwalbes sealed up with a CO2 cartridge. I double taped the rims, installed valve stem, installed tire, removed valve core, dumped in sealant, reinstalled valve core, hit it with a CO2 and they were set.
- Compass tires - I gave up on those and took it to a shop.

- Zero on either.

- N/A.
Last edited by: c.mont.811: Apr 3, 18 13:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. What tires have you used? SCHWALBE PRO-ONE
2. What rims were they mounted on? ENVE 2.2
3. How hard was the installation? SEMI PITA , HAD TO BUY ONE OF THOSE DUAL CHAMBER PUMPS
4. How many flats have you had since going tubeless? ZERO
5. How difficult was it to repair the flat? I DONT WANT TO FIND OUT
Last edited by: spntrxi: Apr 3, 18 13:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll answer three times, once for each setup:

1. IRC Roadline 25mm
2. DTSwiss R24 Spline
3. First install, very very easy. Subsequent setup after they've stretched a bit was more difficult (easy to get on, tough to inflate)
4. 2
5. Both cases the flat destroyed the tire (huge slash, big screw). Would have ruined any tire.

1. Schwalbe One 23/25mm
2. Giant P-SLR0
3. Piece of cake to install
4. 1
5. Tire sealed itself with ~ 25psi remaining. Enough to roll back to the car but not enough to finish the race.

1. Specialized Roubaix 32mm
2. DTSwiss R42 Spline, HED Tomcat
3. First setup easy. After moving around to other wheels, tires stretched. Easy to mount, tough to inflate without a compressor.
4. No flats while running tubeless in ~ 2500 mi
5. Wouldn't know
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

1. What tires have you used? Hutchinson Intensive 700 x 25, a few years ago
2. What rims were they mounted on? HED Ardennes
3. How hard was the installation? Very difficult.
4. How many flats have you had since going tubeless? I burped some air once and had to add CO2, but the seal held well otherwise. Sidewall cut another time, would not seal.
5. How difficult was it to repair the flat? I had standard plastic tire levers in my bag when I got the cut, and wanted to boot the cut and use a tube to get home, but I could not get the tire off the rim while on the side of the road. And I'm not particularly weak. Just needed better tools. Got the wife to pick me up that day, but decided to go back to tubes so I would not be stranded in the future.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They've gotten successively easier with each iteration. The Ultremo's were tough, the One's a bit better, the Pro One's not hard at all. Same as a regular clincher imho.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Corsa speed
Dash disc and alto rims currently. He’d H3+ previously.

Dash - not horrible but much harder to deal initially.

Alto - pita first time but easier to remove/reinstall. It stretches for sure.

Hed - total pain but made it work.

1 flat on alto rim. Broken bottle. Huge gash.

Repair was slow for two reasons- sealant everywhere and getting the valve out. A paper towel would have been nice. Pliers for valve nut (silca) could have made it quicker. Getting it on/off wasn’t that bad because it had some miles on it.

Note - I moved tires around last week and saw two spots sealed that I never knew. So does that count?...

I like it. No way I have my wife ride tubeless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schwalbe Pro One (25 and 28)
Enve SES 3.4
Gave it to my LBS...
One with the 25, sealant did it's job but it kept happening again then changed to 28.
I had a pretty bad one on the 28: a cut on the side wall while riding on gravel. Sealant was useless, it just made the bike very dirty.
Fixed it with a gel wrapper and tube. Was slightly harder than changing a tube with Conti GP4000.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me About Your Tubeless (Road) Tire Setup [SimonN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How hard was it to get the bead off when putting the tube in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
How hard was it to get the bead off when putting the tube in?
With tire levers it was OK. Harder than a regular clincher but once I managed to grab it out, it was business as usual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread has cemented the view I already had... that life is already complicated enough!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mavic Yksio pro UST
Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon ust
Tires went on went thumbs. Regular biker pump to inflate.
Zero
N/A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump because i like this thread
Quote Reply