Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

giving up on cycling
Quote | Reply
got my new HED Jet 6+ yesterday and tried to mount Corsa Speed tires last night..

Used two layers of the HED rim tape, got the tire on by making sure it was in the center channel, made sure the tire bead didn't pinch the tube, and now I simply can't get air in them.. I inflate and inflate and inflate and just not getting anywhere. I thought maybe I punctured the tube when mounting the tire so I took it out and inflated it and it was fine.

I've watched the HED video.. help!
Quote Reply
Re: giving up on cycling [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Them" - as in same thing with both wheels? Possibly your pump can't deliver pressure....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you using a valve extender? Maybe it's leaking? It might not show when you have the tube inflated outside the tire since the pressure is so low. But as soon as it get's inside the tire the pressure increase may show the leak.
Second suggestion may be a faulty pump. But that seems a bit to unlucky to have that happened just when you mount a new set of tires.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is that something is not right with the valve and/or the valve extender, or some combination thereof.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Def. Sounds like a valve extender issue. Are you using the supplied HED valve core type extenders?
Regardless of which type of extender you are using, maybe try some plumbers tape on the threads for a better seal.

Also - why are you using two layers of the HED rim tape?? Pretty sure you only need one.
Quote Reply
Re: giving up on cycling [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Def. Sounds like a valve extender issue. Are you using the supplied HED valve core type extenders?
Regardless of which type of extender you are using, maybe try some plumbers tape on the threads for a better seal.

Also - why are you using two layers of the HED rim tape?? Pretty sure you only need one.

Ah, I thought it was two layers. I'm using tubes with 80mm valves so that shouldn't be the issue. Pumped worked fine on another tire this morning but I'm wondering if maybe it just doesn't have enough pressure to "pop" the tire into place?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, you'd still feel pressure building in the pump. Sounds like you have air exiting somewhere if the pump handle still moves up and down. Either a leaking valve extender seal or a leaky seal of the pump head on the valve. You definitely have the valve end open, right? :)
Having the extra layer of tape would have nothing to do with the issue, but might make it slightly harder in general to get tires onto the rim, since the extra layer of tape takes up more height room..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigredrude wrote:
got my new HED Jet 6+ yesterday and tried to mount Corsa Speed tires last night..

Used two layers of the HED rim tape, got the tire on by making sure it was in the center channel, made sure the tire bead didn't pinch the tube, and now I simply can't get air in them.. I inflate and inflate and inflate and just not getting anywhere. I thought maybe I punctured the tube when mounting the tire so I took it out and inflated it and it was fine.

For their tubeless tape, Hed specifically says 1 layer per wheel. Maybe the second layer is preventing the bead from seating...

Edit: My apologies, I missed that you were using a tube.
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Apr 3, 18 12:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Either a leaking valve extender seal or a leaky seal of the pump head on the valve. You definitely have the valve end open, right? :)

Yes.. I do, but that's a fair question. What's strange is the tube inflates and keeps air in when it's out of the tire. When it's mounted on the rim with the tire on I can still move the pump handle up and down but it's like I can hear air coming out. I've been riding for a while and never had any issues like that.
Last edited by: bigredrude: Apr 3, 18 8:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigredrude wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Either a leaking valve extender seal or a leaky seal of the pump head on the valve. You definitely have the valve end open, right? :)

Yes.. I do, but that's a fair question. What's strange is the tube inflates and keeps air in when it's out of the tire. When it's mounted on the rim with the tire on I can still move the pump handle up and down but it's like I can hear air coming out. I've been riding for a while and never had any issues like that.

As others have said, find the source of where the air is coming out. Options should be: pump, valve extender, or maybe a there is now a whole in the tube somewhere. If the pressure was high in the tube you would have difficulty pumping which is not the case. With the tubeless beads, you do sometimes need to pump over your intended PSI to get all of the tire to snap into place. It then requires a partial deflate and re-inflating to the desired pressure but that is a separate issue.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigredrude wrote:

Any reason you use 2 layers of rim tape? I have the same wheels and had zero issues setting them up. Once you get them going, you will love them.
Quote Reply
Re: giving up on cycling [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treyedr wrote:

Any reason you use 2 layers of rim tape? I have the same wheels and had zero issues setting them up. Once you get them going, you will love them.

Just that I thought I read somewhere it was two layers.. I think that was for a different type. I'll keep tinkering tonight and hopefully something will work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How far does the valve extender come out of the rim? Is there enough of it, say, at least an inch, for your pump to get a good grip on?
If the tube still pumps up fine when not on the wheel (but still with the valve extender on), then the issue has got to be that your pump head isn't getting a proper grip on the extender when it is in the wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
How far does the valve extender come out of the rim? Is there enough of it, say, at least an inch, for your pump to get a good grip on?
If the tube still pumps up fine when not on the wheel (but still with the valve extender on), then the issue has got to be that your pump head isn't getting a proper grip on the extender when it is in the wheel.

This.

When the tube is out of the tire, put the pump head on the valve fully, lock the pump head, and notate on the extender with a mark of some sort how far the pump head covered it. now put the tube back around the wheel (it doesn't even need the tire seated around it, and see if the valve sticks out enough where you can see that mark you put on the extender. If you can't see it, your extender is too short and your pump head can't engage it properly.
Quote Reply