Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anyone see this altred suppliment stuff?
Quote | Reply
https://www.sur.co/altred

it was linked on the galveston 70.3 facebook page. this is HEAVILY marketed to triathletes. anyone know anything about it? the way its marketed its essentially a magic pill that makes you faster and stronger.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see this altred suppliment stuff? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its just beet extract. Nothing new here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$40 of each $50 can must be going to marketing.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Discussed here once before:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6573254#p6573254

FWIW, we have found that the vast majority of beet-based supplements do not contain 1) as much nitrate as claimed, or 2) enough to likely have any physiological effect.

Note that it is just as much of a crap-shoot for those who say "I just eat beets", as 1) there can be huge variation even between those grown side-by-side, and 2) you need to eat 4-6 of even nitrate-rich beets to likely see an effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just emailed the National Science Foundation as its total crap they are using NSF and never mentioning what it stands for and they are not associated with the NSF. Def trying to ride their reputation.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see this altred suppliment stuff? [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
https://www.sur.co/altred

it was linked on the galveston 70.3 facebook page. this is HEAVILY marketed to triathletes. anyone know anything about it? the way its marketed its essentially a magic pill that makes you faster and stronger.

Buy raw beets or buy the pre-steamed beets at your local supermarket if you like beets. Otherwise you can get 2.2lbs of Beet Root for $18.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see this altred suppliment stuff? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you saying they are associated with the National Science Foundation? I see nowhere on their site for what NSF stands for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The NSF Sport certification requires practices that should reduce the chance of contamination of the supplement with banned substances.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I am saying that Altred's claim that they are NSF Certified Safe for Sport is truthful. You are the one who mistakenly assumed that NSF stands for "National Science Foundation" (instead of National Sanitation Foundation: http://www.nsf.org/).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys-

Want to clear up any confusion on the product. NSF is not the "National Science Foundation", it is a sports certification from NSF International (http://www.nsfsport.com). This is a rigorous and expensive certification that helps athletes, coaches and consumers make educated decisions when choosing sports supplements.

The product itself is completely different than beets. Beets have been known to use 'nitrates' to produce nitric oxide in the body. AltRed contains NO nitrates and NO sugar. Just 1 simple ingredient called Betalain.

There are 2 clinical studies published on the benefits of AltRed (https://sur.co/phytoscience/) which show significant performance and recovery benefits.

As an athlete/consumer myself, there's so much bullshit out there promising this and that. I was skeptical as many of you are before using AltRed, but I can honestly say that this stuff does actually work.

We've just partnered with Timex Mulitsport Team which contains some of the sports top professional and amateur athletes and are currently working on some very exciting partnership agreements.

If you're still a doubter or think its some "marketing scheme" then just try it for yourself. I'll personally give you your money back if you don't see results. Do an FTP test this week, use AltRed for a 2-3 weeks in training and do another test.

Feel free to email personally if you have questions about the product or want to try it out, but I wanted to clear up any confusion about NSF and the National Science Foundation.

I just ask before you think its another marketing push or scam, you try it for yourself. You can use code SLOWTWITCH50 to try it yourself for 50% off. If it doesn't work, email me and I'll refund your money personally.

Thanks
Eric
eric@sur.co
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see this altred suppliment stuff? [erengel23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erengel23 wrote:

The product itself is completely different than beets.

Given the term "beetroot extract" is on the label of your product, I don't think it's quite accurate to call it "completely different than beets."

Edit: Also according to the label it's not "just 1 simple ingredient." The label says it also has rice fiber and gelatin. (and an artificial red coloring). And 75% of the beet extract is not betalains (if it's standardized to 25% as claimed).
Last edited by: trail: Apr 8, 18 14:08
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see this altred suppliment stuff? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I should clarify that.

It does come from beets, but what makes it completely different than all other "beet" products is the way it's used in your body. Beet products claim that their products work because of the nitrates in the beets. Your body turns the nitrates into nitric oxide. Although you cannot measure nitric oxide levels in the body directly - this is the claim being made.

AltRed, through a patented process, has removed everything (including the nitrates and sugars) from the beetroot extract, leaving only the ingredient Betalain. This powerful phytonutrient is what makes AltRed different. Betalains are found in beets but are attached to sugars/nitrates which makes them not bioavailable. Similar to Diamonds. Yes, they come from carbon, but when you see a big rock on a girl, do you say man that's a huge piece of carbon? Maybe a bad analogy but I'm trying :)

Without sugar and nitrates - the Betalains are bioavailable - thus unleashing their effect in the body. Our product contains 50 mg of Betalain.

So yes, they do come from beets. But no, they don't work the same way as beet products on the market. Two separate pathways.

Does that help clear it up a bit?

Edit to your edit: The rice fiber is a filler for the capsule. The gelatin and carmine are from the red capsule. The product is 50mg of Betalains
Last edited by: erengel23: Apr 8, 18 14:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the clarification. The studies are interesting. Though the question is going to be asked if the purported antioxidant effect could be detrimental to the long-term training effect, as has been suggested with other anti-oxidants.

But whether antioxidants are a race-day tool or OK for chronic use might be another thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
erengel23 wrote:
you cannot measure nitric oxide levels in the body directly

This statement is incorrect. Nitric oxide levels are readily measurable in expired breath (and increase significantly after nitrate ingestion).

Nitric oxide sensitive electrodes (similar to a pH electrode) also exist, and while I have yet to see it done, you could fairly easily use this approach to measure nitric oxide in, e.g., microdialysis fluid, or even insert such an electrode directly into tissue (e.g., muscle).

Of course, one could also ask whether it is more important to quantify nitric oxide levels, or to quantify the actual physiological effects of nitric oxide (e.g., increase in cGMP, decrease in blood pressure).
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Apr 8, 18 15:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is not a test of nitric oxide in the blood. Nitric oxide has an extremely short half life in blood (like 1 sec or less). Many of the methods to measure the effects of nitrates on performance have used the method you mentioned "nitric oxide in exhaled breath".

This is not a completely accurate representation of what is happening in the bloodstream.

Some of our current studies do show however, a significant increase in nitric oxide attached to hemoglobin with AltRed. Where as the same study on certain "beet performance drinks" showed no increase in these levels of nitric oxide attached to hemoglobin.

I'm no scientist by any means, but I appreciate all the feedback and it helps us serve athletes better! Thanks for helping dive into all of this Andrew! We have a great group of scientists from all over the world so if there's any question I can't answer I'll certainly get one for you!

Thanks

Eric
eric@sur.co
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,
I realize this is a very old thread, but can you share the references to studies showing that betalains increase nitrosylated-hemoglobin?
Thanks,
Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certainly wish that coupon code still worked all these years later

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see this altred suppliment stuff? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Save your money. Snake oil, as Coggan showed.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see this altred suppliment stuff? [technocardic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
technocardic wrote:
Hi Eric,
I realize this is a very old thread, but can you share the references to studies showing that betalains increase nitrosylated-hemoglobin?
Thanks,
Ian

@realbdeal of this parish seems to be a brand ambassador: perhaps he could help?
https://sur.co/blogs/athletes
See also Matt Hanson, Danielle Lewis, Jackie Herring, Sam Long(?)
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Mar 28, 22 0:58
Quote Reply