Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: April Fishes [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr,

I suggest you get in the pool by the change rooms, swim a 25 to get to the good end, then do your intervals from there.

My OCD is being triggered bigly, and this insanity that you promote seems to be spreading.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I suggest you get in the pool by the change rooms, swim a 25 to get to the good end, then do your intervals from there.

My OCD is being triggered bigly, and this insanity that you promote seems to be spreading.

Nope. My OCD requires starting with a push off from the starting-block end of the pool. I can't start with a 25 from the wrong end.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sitting here at surgery day D+1, I've reached the point of thinking, "was surgery really worth it, the pain is far worse now!" I'm not sure this NORCO isn't just a placebo.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry you're in so much pain :-(

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 mi easy 35:42
1125 yd swim

100, 200, 250 on a 1:30/100 base
50 kick
100 fast 1:16
50 swim
50 kick
100 fast 1:14
50 swim
50 kick
100 fast 1:13
25 kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
recovery from surgery sucks. My wife just recently went through it (gall bladder) and she was VERY "uncomfortable", to say the least., in the days following the op.

It does get better though...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big double for me, MTB ride this morning and this noon swim:

3x(3x150s/150IM kick@3;30) swims@2;20(2;10/09/08)pulls@2;10(1;56/55/54/53/53/52)IM kicks(2;55/50/45)
300 steady pull@4;10(3;51)100 dolphin(2;02) 100SD
2300SCY
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2x500yds
2x400yds
2x300yds
2x200yds
2x100yds
1x800yds
1x400yds

My 1st 4200yd swim!

Swim time 1:25. Tiatal time 1:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Sitting here at surgery day D+1, I've reached the point of thinking, "was surgery really worth it, the pain is far worse now!" I'm not sure this NORCO isn't just a placebo.

Hey get better...sometimes its a case of "gotta get worse before we get better".

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev. Quite a bit better today. Have gone all day without any pain pills. Might take one to help sleep tonight.

May try to mow the lawn tomorrow. We'll see.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4.1 mi easy run
775 yd swim (500/50 kick/200 swim/25 kick)
4.2 mi easy run

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last bunch of workouts, I have been doing a 40-60 minute weight + rowing circuit (typically 25 min of reasonably hard rowing) and then 60-70 min in the pool. I have not had a really good swim in terms of times/splits the last 5 days on account of all the weights and rowing, but trying to mix up how my body gets stressed. Probably most of it is from the last part of the swim being well into the second hour of exercise, but I'm using the opportunity of running my own startup for a long mid day break as otherise it is pretty well 7 am to 11 pm of working in some form or the other. In any case, the stroke that gets the slowest after rowing is free. Fly and breast seem to be unaffected!!! Then again, my breast stroke is so bad, that nothing makes it slower or faster. I think could do 800m breast stroke as fast as 50m!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 mile swim race in a lake. 68° water and I wore my Huub wetsuit with is not nearly as warm as my DeSoto, so it was perfect fore these conditions. Anyway it’s a two-loop course with a beach entry and a short 20 foot run between loops. After about 50 yards I found second place and watched the antic of the leader who would stop and adjust his goggles, then backstroke next to me and then flip over and race ahead, only to repeat essential the entire race. Another passed me about 200 yards into the race and the three of us took on a good 20 yard lead at about 700 yards. We finished the first loop with the two leaders 10 yards ahead. But I caught them at the far end of the rectangular course only to both of them play those same antics the leader was earlier. They finished together about a minute ahead of me and I came in 3rd overall. 3687 yards in 47:57. Turns out they’re two high school swimmers swimming for fun before state championships – that’s what I heard. The winner can do a 500 SCY in 4:30 something.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Last edited by: HalfSpeed: Apr 29, 18 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: April Fishes [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kids these days ;-)

on Saturday I went for a 45 min very easy walk
on Sunday I ran a half in 1:54:42

today
AM
I ran 5.6 mi w/ 2.7 faster (8:27, 8:20, last .7 @ 8:13), swam 300 yards JUST FOR JASONINHALIFAX, then did hip exercises.

PM
1400 yd swim in the outdoor pool! My first outdoor swim of the year.

PM was
2 x [500 swim, 50 kick]
2 x [100 swim, 50 stroke]

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Apr 30, 18 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got held up at work, and got to the pool late this afternoon. Only had 42 minutes before the age groupers came in and took over all but one lane, but I needed 3000 yards to get to my training distance goal for the month (50k yards). I spontaneously decided to just do a straight 3000 pull, no paddles. Started out at a ~1:19/100 pace, but descended from there. Ended up going 38:19, and felt like I had a fair amount of gas still in the tank. All I could think of when I was done was, "My God, I can't wait to actually race in a wetsuit." I have one, and swam one short workout in it in a very choppy lake. It felt pretty good then, but I'd really like to try it again now that I've spent most of the winter working on my mile pace.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friday 5
WU (1000)
500 sw
300 pull
200 K
100 drill

main set (900)
25 ez/25 all out on 20s
50 ez50 all out on 45
100 ez/100 all out on 1:30
200 ez/200 all out on 3:00
100 ez/100 all out on 1:30
50 ez50 all out on 45
25 ez/25 all out on 20s

WD
500 ez/drill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My April swim training has been in the tank due to some biz travel.

On a plus note, I have run 8 days out of 8. At the rate I am going, I will get kicked out of the fish thread, between my crap technique and running so much....but my running gait is starting to flow again after 4+ years of endless frustration. At the rate I am going, I could do an Olympic tri this summer....I ran 15km this morning.....10x4min "running" followed by 1 min jogging.

I think I will just resign myself to my longest swim hiatus of 2019 (5 days) and wait till Thu afternoon when my flight gets back from Europe and go straight to the pool on the way home and ignore my family in favour of swimming, like any proper fish. I am sure my family will understand and if I am lucky they will boot me back out and tell me to just move permanently onto the pool deck for the trangression of insufficient swimming in April.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do realize Dev that you are posting to last years April fishes thread? I'm sure there is a current one, but I have been sick for 9 days now and completely shattered because I may have to miss my nationals because of this layoff..)-;
Quote Reply

Prev Next