Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long drive before Ironman
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done a long drive prior to an Ironman? I live in Toronto and to save costs I am thinking of driving to Ironman Florida which is a 2 day drive. I plan on arriving Wednesday so I can settle in before Saturday.

Thoughts? Anyone done anything like this?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Long drive before Ironman [trainerdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you worried about, in particular? If you are used to driving long distances, I don't see how it would be a problem.

While I haven't done a two-day drive before a race, I did drive from Philly to Louisville this year for the race which was about an 11 hour drive. Two stops only. I don't think it negatively affected my race at all. Drove home the day after.
Quote Reply
Re: Long drive before Ironman [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think my biggest worry would be that it would affect my body. Legs in particular. But I figure if I stop and stretch, I should be ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done a few ironmans after 2 days of driving. If you arrive on wed, that should give you plenty of time to recover for th race. Do some short workouts thurs and Friday to wake up your muscles and rest Saturday and kick ass on Sunday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear compression socks during the drive. My legs always feel way better that way after long trips
Quote Reply
Re: Long drive before Ironman [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
I’ve done a few ironmans after 2 days of driving. If you arrive on wed, that should give you plenty of time to recover for th race. Do some short workouts thurs and Friday to wake up your muscles and rest Saturday and kick ass on Sunday

Sound logic above and tracks w/my experience. Actually I did a 2 day drive before IMCDA last year and arrived on Friday in time for packet pickup. KQ'd on Sunday. Full disclosure, a buddy of mine who owns several running stores gave me some special socks that are good for sitting on planes, etc. they go knee high and look somewhat geeky, but...

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply