Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So what's the deal with Ironman 70.3 Santa Rosa?
Quote | Reply
Found out that my wife booked our week vacation during Eagleman race week (hmmm...accidental?) and thus won't be able to do Eagleman a third year. In the same breath, she also said perhaps I could do Santa Rosa 70.3 as a substitute in late July. As I'm planning on doing the 140.6 in Louisville and would like a full train up, this seems a good option, especially as we have family in the area as well. I must say, tho, I am a little surprised SR is still open for regular registration. I understand this is a changed course from Vineman, but was wondering if there's any intel on the course on here? I see the swim is no longer the Russian River and is now Lake Sonoma; the bike course is still pending....how bad is this run going to be in late July? Understanding I am trading the sufferfest of Eagleman for this (potentially) would appreciate any insights on this race.

And watch Eagleman be record cool and overcast this year!

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: So what's the deal with Ironman 70.3 Santa Rosa? [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that the bike course route has been published.

The swim is likely to be too warm for a wetsuit. I'd prep for about 2000 or feet of elevation on the bike, with some varying quality roads. The run might be pretty warm - I did the May version of the 70.3 last year and the run was JUST right temp wise... but in July you might be looking at some stretches of the bike path with no shade and very sunny. However, if you are fast enough to finish by noon, you should be ok even if it is a very hot day.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: So what's the deal with Ironman 70.3 Santa Rosa? [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked it. Swim was good but with a really long steep run to transition. The bike is beautiful. Bad roads sometimes, but that is my local ride all the time anyway. The run (agreed) could get very hot with this new date. About half is in the shade by the river, half exposed. Not much elevation change. Perfect race to bring the wife to and spend a few days in Healdsburg or other surrounding areas.
Quote Reply
Re: So what's the deal with Ironman 70.3 Santa Rosa? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sure water will be that warm for no wetsuit?
Last edited by: gesekee19: Apr 1, 18 15:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the area and have done Vineman in the past and I am signed up for SR 70.3 this year. It is one of my all time favorite races, and definitely my favorite 70.3. I think the new course has people hesitant to sign up which is fine with me. The original Vineman course was superb, and I am not a big fan of having transition smack dab in the middle of SR. The run course is sweet and I have done the Santa Rosa half marathon many times and it is the same course, which is excellent for a 70.3. July can be hot, but it can also be mild. It's the Bay Area and we could get a random, insane heat wave at that time. I like the new run course compared to the Vineman course if we do get a heat wave at that time. The bike course is gorgeous, you can't beat it. I would definitely register for the race, you definitely won't regret it. I am a biased local, but it really is a great 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: So what's the deal with Ironman 70.3 Santa Rosa? [gesekee19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gesekee19 wrote:
You sure water will be that warm for no wetsuit?

They definitely went out of their way to find some spot in the lake for the full last year that measured just wetsuit legal. Just.

So bring both a wetsuit and a swimskin race morning.

Ian
Quote Reply