Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much time will latex tubes save at IMTX?
Quote | Reply
Asking for a friend.

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply
Re: How much time will latex tubes save at IMTX? [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enough that your friend should use them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yoe400800 wrote:
Asking for a friend.

1 to 3 minutes. If you flat and aren't prepared, 10-30 minutes- meaning carry a spare butyl tube as C02 doesn't work well with latex. IMTX is what, 4 weeks away? I'd be riding them now on my long rides.
Quote Reply
Re: How much time will latex tubes save at IMTX? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Riding the same tubes now you’d race on? Do They need to be “broken in” or something?
Thanks.

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just practice installing them.

Then leave them in for several weeks so you know that there isn't something wrong.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Apr 1, 18 11:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yoe400800 wrote:
Riding the same tubes now you’d race on? Do They need to be “broken in” or something?
Thanks.

I would be riding my race wheels and tires during my last several rides to make sure nothing goes wrong with them. Other people have different opinions on this, but I would never ride a "fresh" tire and tube installation at my big race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5-10 watts which is 90 seconds to 3 min at race speed

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
IMTX is what, 4 weeks away? I'd be riding them now on my long rides.

I wouldn't think there is any real reason to use them for your long rides unless you just happen to use your race wheels also. I certainly *would* ride them a few times before the race just to make sure all is well with the installation. Other than that it's unnecessary.

That said, I keep latex tubes in my race wheels, and when I ride my race bike outside I also ride the race wheels.

I, too, am racing IMTX in a few weeks but being from the cold northeast I haven't done any outdoor riding in months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yoe400800 wrote:
Thanks.

I'd ride them just for piece of mind. It took me awhile to get them due to a couple horror stories, so I rode a couple hundred miles on mine during training to get the "they're going to flat" thoughts out of my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
yoe400800 wrote:
Thanks.

I would be riding my race wheels and tires during my last several rides to make sure nothing goes wrong with them. Other people have different opinions on this, but I would never ride a "fresh" tire and tube installation at my big race.

Yeah I agree.
Quote Reply
Re: How much time will latex tubes save at IMTX? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
yoe400800 wrote:
Thanks.

Yeah I agree.

I do as well, but I wouldn't be trying to hit a particular mileage or time. A few miles should be enough to determine if something went wrong on the installation. After that it's just general road riding bad luck. I don't think anyone has ever flatted with two hundred miles on a new set of tires and said 'I obviously screwed up the install'.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
meaning carry a spare butyl tube as C02 doesn't work well with latex.

And it's just a pain to install them compared to Butyl. Not so hard you shouldn't do it, but enough of a process that I do it slowly, indoors, and triple check I'm not pinching the tube.

After installation and putting a few miles in them, they're one of the nice upgrades I've put on my bike. You notice a difference immediately in the ride. Not that you "feel" the time savings, they are just a comfortable ride. Still carry butyl spare kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how many people use them

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: How much time will latex tubes save at IMTX? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I consider myself somewhat decent at changing tubes. 4-5 minutes tops and 3 minutes if everything goes right.

BUT! I have busted so many Latex tubes installing them myself that I just have the bike shop do it. Lame. I know.
Quote Reply
Re: How much time will latex tubes save at IMTX? [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
I'd ride them just for piece of mind. It took me awhile to get them due to a couple horror stories, so I rode a couple hundred miles on mine during training to get the "they're going to flat" thoughts out of my head.

Is this actually a thing to worry about? I've never used latex tubes before, but following the don't overthink it thread I got the following:
  • Tires: GP4000SII – These are close to the top aerodynamically, Crr, comfort, and durability
  • Tubes: Vittoria Latex

I was always planning on having my LBS here in Gainesville install them, as I pretty much have them install everything. But are there other precautions I need to know about? Suddenly I'm nervous.
I have St. Anthony's in 4 weeks, and IM70.3 Gulf Coast 2 weeks after that. I was planning on taking the bike in this week or next, to put the tires/tubes on and get a general "tune-up." I figured that gave me 2-3 or so weeks to ride the new setup before the race. I assumed I'd be okay riding the tires/latex tubes during training rides (I have the regular tubes in my change kit), I guess I just want assurances this is normal. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about bikes in general.
Quote Reply
Re: How much time will latex tubes save at IMTX? [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
rjrankin wrote:

Is this actually a thing to worry about? I've never used latex tubes before, but following the don't overthink it thread I got the following:
  • Tires: GP4000SII – These are close to the top aerodynamically, Crr, comfort, and durability
  • Tubes: Vittoria Latex

I was always planning on having my LBS here in Gainesville install them, as I pretty much have them install everything. But are there other precautions I need to know about? Suddenly I'm nervous.
I have St. Anthony's in 4 weeks, and IM70.3 Gulf Coast 2 weeks after that. I was planning on taking the bike in this week or next, to put the tires/tubes on and get a general "tune-up." I figured that gave me 2-3 or so weeks to ride the new setup before the race. I assumed I'd be okay riding the tires/latex tubes during training rides (I have the regular tubes in my change kit), I guess I just want assurances this is normal. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about bikes in general.

I overthink everything. Just heard they’re difficult to install, pinch flats etc. I do add a little sealant to my tubes but buy them in bulk off PBK and always ride them now with a butyl spare just in case. I’d learn to install them yourself. It’s pretty easy, and worth knowing how to do in case someone isn’t there to do it for you.
Quote Reply
Re: How much time will latex tubes save at IMTX? [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubes are tubes.

Just be a bit more careful with latex because they are more expensive.
Quote Reply