Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cant see Garmin 520 because of screen polarization
Quote | Reply
I just got some nice new Oakley Flak XLs and to my surprise I can't see my 520 screen anymore. It turns out the Garmin 520 is polarized at a 45 degree angle. So my only solution on my ride today was to turn the Garmin at 45 degree angle the other way making reading the numbers a bit challenging.

Is there a way to remove the polarization? Is it a film on the plastic case or the actual display?

Thanks.

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Quote Reply
Re: Cant see Garmin 520 because of screen polarization [GrahamK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its the display itself. The liquid crystals are sandwiched between two oronthoginally polarized glass plates to produce the images.
Quote Reply
Re: Cant see Garmin 520 because of screen polarization [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply. Am I the only person to have this problem? I guess the only solution is to rotate the unit or dump the glasses. I don't think the 520 an be displayed I landscape. Thoughts?

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Quote Reply
Re: Cant see Garmin 520 because of screen polarization [GrahamK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem but since glasses are vertically polarized the screen isn’t black, just a darker. I was thinking I’d gotten used to it but recall now that I moved my Garmin to the stem and I look at the screen below my glasses. Not ideal but short of getting non polarized glasses I’m not aware of any elegant solutions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I stopped buying polarized lenses primarily for that reason. I haven't missed them. Not that that helps you now but for future purchases, I think they're overrated, at least for cycling. Perhaps I would feel different if I rode by large bodies of water often on sunny days..
Quote Reply