Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where should I invest my time?
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I’ve been getting into tri for the last couple of years, I got into cycling back in 2014 and was a national level swimmer up to about 18 (11 years ago!)

Anyway last year I did my first HIM, it was super hilly and I’m from a pretty hilly area! I got a stress fracture 4 weeks out so didn’t run at all that last month hoping it would heal by the time I raced. I ended up with a 29 swim, 3.45 bike and a 2.30 run. Pretty abysmal, I didn’t fuel at all!!- on the bike, it was chucking it down with rain and a pretty miserable ride, I properly bonked around mile 45 and crawled back to t2 where my wife convinced me to just run/walk if needs be. I have no idea why I didn’t take on a gel when I started to bonk on the bike but then downed 8 gels in t2 (astoundingly this actually helped LOADS and didn’t give me ridiculous GI problems!!)

All in all the whole experience really gave me a proper appreciation for the toughness of these kind of events (and utter respect for IM!)

Anyway this year my training has been consistent although I don’t have as much time as I’d like to devote to it. I’m averaging around 9 hours per week, split roughly as 2 hours running and 7 biking. I havent done a swim session since I quit swimming and I’ve always just coasted by on swims in tri, that said the HIM did make me realise that’s about my limit off technique alone, I reverted to backstroke for half of it because that’s was always my stroke and I needed the rest!

I do plan on putting in some swims, and I know I definitely need to sort that, but I not going to spend ages on it, so I’ll just fit in what I can there. My question is really for my bike/run work, what kind of split would you recommend? Race pace half marathon is 1.40 and my ftp is about 3.5w/kg at the moment so nothing stellar and I’m not expecting to be FOP but I’d love to maximise what I can do with my 9-10 hours per week. Work was pretty nuts last year so after the HIM I let the stress fracture heal properly and took most of the year off, I’ve only really been back at it since January so I’m really only looking for measurable ‘results’ towards the end of the season at best!
Quote Reply
Re: Where should I invest my time? [Pb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pb wrote:
Ok, so I’ve been getting into tri for the last couple of years, I got into cycling back in 2014 and was a national level swimmer up to about 18 (11 years ago!)

Anyway last year I did my first HIM, it was super hilly and I’m from a pretty hilly area! I got a stress fracture 4 weeks out so didn’t run at all that last month hoping it would heal by the time I raced. I ended up with a 29 swim, 3.45 bike and a 2.30 run. Pretty abysmal, I didn’t fuel at all!!- on the bike, it was chucking it down with rain and a pretty miserable ride, I properly bonked around mile 45 and crawled back to t2 where my wife convinced me to just run/walk if needs be. I have no idea why I didn’t take on a gel when I started to bonk on the bike but then downed 8 gels in t2 (astoundingly this actually helped LOADS and didn’t give me ridiculous GI problems!!)

All in all the whole experience really gave me a proper appreciation for the toughness of these kind of events (and utter respect for IM!)

Anyway this year my training has been consistent although I don’t have as much time as I’d like to devote to it. I’m averaging around 9 hours per week, split roughly as 2 hours running and 7 biking. I havent done a swim session since I quit swimming and I’ve always just coasted by on swims in tri, that said the HIM did make me realise that’s about my limit off technique alone, I reverted to backstroke for half of it because that’s was always my stroke and I needed the rest!

I do plan on putting in some swims, and I know I definitely need to sort that, but I not going to spend ages on it, so I’ll just fit in what I can there. My question is really for my bike/run work, what kind of split would you recommend? Race pace half marathon is 1.40 and my ftp is about 3.5w/kg at the moment so nothing stellar and I’m not expecting to be FOP but I’d love to maximise what I can do with my 9-10 hours per week. Work was pretty nuts last year so after the HIM I let the stress fracture heal properly and took most of the year off, I’ve only really been back at it since January so I’m really only looking for measurable ‘results’ towards the end of the season at best!

I'm around the mid 4.30s for a 70.3, I just do my own program and it's heavily run focussed. People scoff at it because of the disproportion, but I'm going OK. I have a bit of a swim background, I usually swim 8kms a week, ride only 100km a week and run 70km a week. I've found that the run fitness has obviously helped my run heaps, but also my bike goes OK despite the low mileage. I get told that because of the low bike volume my run will suffer, but I haven't experienced any notable issues.

It really depends on what your goals are, what you enjoy doing and how you are going injury wise. I would at least double your run mileage and drop your bike volume.
Last edited by: zedzded: Mar 31, 18 20:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a 6-8 week swim block every year early in the season. You can cut way back after that. Run at least 5x a week even if it's short. Bike as much as you can. Your training is more suited for Olympic distance? That's what you mostly do maybe just stick to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey
If you know how to swim and have 9h per week to train that's more than enough to finish in decent time. I think you could even be FOP on this volume at some point. If you are injury prone I would not run more than 60min at a time but more frequently. 7h b 2h r is a bit too bike heavy. I would run 3-4h.
Good luck, you'll be doing well.
Uli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How to improve your bike/run times?

Swim!

If you can put at least some time into swimming so you're not completely exhausted out of the water, it will set you up well for the next two events.

I know that you can probably torch us all in the swim, but even 1x per week will ensure you're working aerobically.
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 1, 18 17:01
Quote Reply
Re: Where should I invest my time? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s really interesting to hear and quite comforting too tbh. I think most of the stuff I read on here applies to the majority, but there are always outliers and with my swim usually putting me top 3 without any training it’s pretty difficult to find the motivation to hit the pool (a decade of high level swimming training and the knowledge that I’ve most certainly had my swimming peak don’t help either!)

From reading these comments it seems like I need to pick up the run training, I might aim for 3-4 hours of running and 5-6 biking. As we move into summer here in the UK I’ll probably up the bike just because I love getting out on the roads but I’ll maybe aim to use that as ADDITIONAL training time whilst making sure I stick to a minimum of 3 hours running.

I love the idea of a swimming block then cutting back, I think that’s definitely one for the off season at the end of this year. For now I will aim to start just putting in one session a week in the pool just to compliment the other training.

Would be really nice to think I could be competitive, at the moment I feel like I could get my bike closer to FOP but the run speed just seems a little out of reach. One of the main reasons I like the idea of HIM/IM racing is that it suits my pace a bit more, I find that I can redline for a long time and endurance has always been my ally. I won’t ever be able to run the kind of paces at 5k and probably 10k but I know I can keep going!

I think the main thing for me is just improving my own fitness and competing against myself for now, but part of that for me is getting the biggest bang for my buck in terms of hours spent training :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pb wrote:
That’s really interesting to hear and quite comforting too tbh. I think most of the stuff I read on here applies to the majority, but there are always outliers and with my swim usually putting me top 3 without any training it’s pretty difficult to find the motivation to hit the pool (a decade of high level swimming training and the knowledge that I’ve most certainly had my swimming peak don’t help either!)

From reading these comments it seems like I need to pick up the run training, I might aim for 3-4 hours of running and 5-6 biking. As we move into summer here in the UK I’ll probably up the bike just because I love getting out on the roads but I’ll maybe aim to use that as ADDITIONAL training time whilst making sure I stick to a minimum of 3 hours running.

I love the idea of a swimming block then cutting back, I think that’s definitely one for the off season at the end of this year. For now I will aim to start just putting in one session a week in the pool just to compliment the other training.

Would be really nice to think I could be competitive, at the moment I feel like I could get my bike closer to FOP but the run speed just seems a little out of reach. One of the main reasons I like the idea of HIM/IM racing is that it suits my pace a bit more, I find that I can redline for a long time and endurance has always been my ally. I won’t ever be able to run the kind of paces at 5k and probably 10k but I know I can keep going!

I think the main thing for me is just improving my own fitness and competing against myself for now, but part of that for me is getting the biggest bang for my buck in terms of hours spent training :)

I mostly swim because I like it, if I didn't I reckon I could get away with 1 swim a week and still be fine. 1900m with a wetsuit, in the ocean drafting off someone is a walk in the park.. One thing I've found being an OK swimmer is that it benefits the bike. I hadn't really noticed until the last year when I realised was consistently outbiking much stronger bikers, guys who smash me in training. They're coming out of the swim absolutely nailed and don't get their HR down until 10kms into the bike or whatever. 1 guy even complained his run suffered because he overcooked the swim!?
Quote Reply
Re: Where should I invest my time? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a lot to learn to get the balance right with the training, pacing and nutrition. It's not impossible though. Enjoy the journey.

I was always a pretty mediocre swimmer and a very injury-prone runner so I concentrated on the bike loads. I reckoned that i could lose 5 minutes on the swim but gain 30 minutes on the bike and then it's "only" a half marathon so it's a matter of running at a bit slower than open HM pace and just holding on until the end. This has tended to work ok. The one trick i learned early on was to train efficiently - don't just plod along adding miles but make every hour count.

Try Trainer Road for their biking plans as this provides a bike focus that seems to work. I made my running focussed on a hill set, an interval set and a long run and kept it below 20 mpw, that even got me through IM, I think mainly because i got off the bike with fresh legs.

If you can already swim fast and have a 3.5W/Kg FTP then you're half way there- that's not FOP yet, but a bit of training and who knows....
Quote Reply