Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Truck Bed - Bike Rack Setup
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a great setup they would be willing to share :)

Family of 5 looking for organized option.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Truck Bed - Bike Rack Setup [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I move a lot of bikes - and bought these clamps and drilled them into the top edge - means you have to take off front wheel but I can get a minimum of 6 bikes in the back.

https://www.ebay.com/i/321823289498?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Truck Bed - Bike Rack Setup [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have those same clamps (and maybe a Thule one that’s the same but more expensive), anchored into a 2x6 that’s cut to the width of my truck bed. Easily removable if I need the bed space. I have three on the board so I can fit mountain bike handlebars, but you could go narrower, or put second one on the other end of your bed and alternate them.

Lots of options out there on truck and mountain bike forums. I want to get a rack system that goes over my tonneau cover, but I could buy a really nice wheelset instead for that money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can always go the PVC route.

https://www.utahmountainbiking.com/...TruckbedBikeRack.htm

This was the starting plan for my 7 bike rack in my garage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching this thread.

I was just looking these:
http://www.pipelineracks.com/products4.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2x8 measured to the width of the bed. I have 2 fork mounts screwed into the 2x8 and I have a Thule Wheel On holder for my front tire once I take it off and mount it to the truck. I got tired of having to put it in the back seat and make sure that nothing could fall over onto my wheel/spokes. I can easily take the 2x8 out of the truck when I need to haul something.
Quote Reply
Re: Truck Bed - Bike Rack Setup [Rdracer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I had a truck I drilled & bolted the fork mounts right into the bed. Best way to transport a bike unless it rains!
Quote Reply
Re: Truck Bed - Bike Rack Setup [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the past I have used a 2 x 10 cut to span across the bottom of the bed holding an old Yakima cross bar I had from an old car roof rack. On that cross bar I mounted different fork and wheel mounts for road and MTB bikes. The nice thing about it was when not in use I could pick it up and lean it against the wall in my garage.

I just bought a 7 bike Dakine tailgate pad for MTBs. It is the one you see where the bikes are resting with their front wheels over the tailgate. It also works just fine for road bikes. It has velcro loops to secure the down tube and it also has webbing to hold it to the tail gate. It is heavily padded, at some point I will put my tri bike on it. For $120 it is a cheap way to carry a lot of bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Truck Bed - Bike Rack Setup (Keeping Wheels On) ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any solution to keep the wheels on?
Quote Reply
Re: Truck Bed - Bike Rack Setup (Keeping Wheels On) ] [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Dakine tailgate pad allows you to keep the wheels on.
Quote Reply
Re: Truck Bed - Bike Rack Setup (Keeping Wheels On) ] [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
The Dakine tailgate pad allows you to keep the wheels on.

i do NOT suggest this with carbon, especially for longer drives. The DAKINE (and similar) pads are great at protecting the truck tail gate but rub the bottom of the downtime quite badly. Either you will need a soft towel or blanket to protect, or you will get pad rub. As well it does nothing for carbon wheels dangling out the back asking for someone to swing by and undo a QR skewer.

For wheels on the best solution i have seen used (mainly for MTB, but road/TT will be the same) is to build some wheel/tire holders in the bed out of wood, similar to what is described above, and then simply use a tie down strap around the bars/stem to anchor down on each side while standing up so it won't tip over. Given how easily front wheels come off on road/TT bikes however, i second the designs shared above with a front wheel adapter bolted to a piece of 2x8"/10" wood.
Quote Reply
Re: Truck Bed - Bike Rack Setup [Rdracer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rdracer99 wrote:
I have a 2x8 measured to the width of the bed. I have 2 fork mounts screwed into the 2x8 and I have a Thule Wheel On holder for my front tire once I take it off and mount it to the truck. I got tired of having to put it in the back seat and make sure that nothing could fall over onto my wheel/spokes. I can easily take the 2x8 out of the truck when I need to haul something.

+1 on this option. I have a long bed truck, so one 2x8 on either side of the wheel well. Staggered mounts give me a six bike capacity. Easy and cheap.

Only those who risk going too far can find out how far they can go...
Quote Reply