Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swimming pool water 'standard' & systems
Quote | Reply
Is anyone here informed about this?

In a nutshell by local pool is disgusting, not only with bit and pieces in the pool (which I can put up with) but the water is heavy with chemicals, leaving me with rashes, blocked nose etc.
It is unpleasant to swim in, and many other swimmers say the same. The front of office staff won't engage with us about it, beyond saying that it needs to be warm for the old people and full of chlorine because there are so many kids in the pool.

Multiple (4 that I have tried) other pools in the area have what I call 'clean water', there is no funny tinge to the colour, it is clear, it feels refreshing and I don't feel like I have been rinsed in chemicals after using it, in fact I feel great.

All the pools are run by local councils (for those not in the UK this means they aren't a private gym, they are run by local governments) and vary in age but at least one of the clean ones is as old as my local.

What I'd like to be able to do is to go the management and say you are using 'x' to clean your pool and it is disgusting, horrible and unnecessary. You should use 'y'. If they complain about cost I can direct them to the other council run pools that manage it.

But I have no idea what 'x' and 'y' are and googling has left me none the wiser.

Help gratefully received.
Quote Reply
Re: swimming pool water 'standard' & systems [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suspect that you could find as much evidence as you want but it would be to little purpose. Seems like you can already direct them to the other pools for guidance.

Use one of the other pools. Why persist with swimming in the sewer?

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: swimming pool water 'standard' & systems [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More incentive to swim open water!

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: swimming pool water 'standard' & systems [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Unfortunately it adds nearly an hour to the round trip for my swim session, so isn't feasible.

It also irritates me, on an incompetence level, why everywhere else can get it right and they can't.
Quote Reply
Re: swimming pool water 'standard' & systems [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy a cheap test kit and a thermometer. Typical workout pools are 78-82 degrees F. (I'm sure you can do your own conversion.)
Keep the old ladies warm pools are 85+.
That's also a good temp for teaching kids to swim.
Fill a plastic bottle with pool water and test it at home. Report results to your council.
You'd be looking at total chlorine, free chlorine, pH.

If the pool is too hot, they are wasting a lot of energy and $. That may help the council.
Quote Reply