Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim follow through drills?
Quote | Reply
I've struggled with fully finishing my stroke for a long time, and it's definitely the last low hanging fruit to improve my swim. The problem is that when I extend as far as I should, it feels incredibly awkward, disjointed, and not smooth at all. Plus, whenever I get tired, the first thing I do is shorten my stroke. Are there any tips/drills I can focus on to ingrain it?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Swim follow through drills? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kickboard vertical between the thighs like a pull buoy, upper third to half should beabove the water. Every stroke, tap the kickboard as you recover.

Also, when you swim normally, my favorite stroke cue for finishing the stroke is that when you accelerate your hand to the end of your stroke properly, your hand flips itself out of the water instead of you having to lift it out. Hope that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you shortening the pull or the catch? if pull, then drag your thumb on your hip as a reminder to pull all the way through. If it's the catch, swim w/ hands in fists.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Swim follow through drills? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s the pull, so I’m pulling my hand out at around my waist line.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try dragging your thumb along your hip / upper thigh, then.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying to squeeze everything out of the last part of the stroke is more often counterproductive. That it feels awkward and difficult is a clue. You are trading a quick return to the "fat part of the pull" by spending more time in the weakest part. You are also probably screwing with the timing of your kick and rotation and maybe breathing, which is probably why it feels awkward.

Let it go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's definitely the last low hanging fruit to improve my swim. //

There is no fruit there, unless you are competing in who can take the least stroke competition. Like Dave said, Let It Go....
Quote Reply
Re: Swim follow through drills? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, when you swim normally, my favorite stroke cue for finishing the stroke is that when you accelerate your hand to the end of your stroke properly, your hand flips itself out of the water instead of you having to lift it out.

Thanks a lot for this tip. Not my thread, but I always felt that I could not relax my arms during recovery....During practice I wanted to try how this “popping out of the water“ would feel like and I realized that I have invested way too much power in pulling my arm out of the water...when I wait for my arms to reach the surface recovery feels soo much easier...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kickboard between legs is really good drill for finishing your pull.

Here’s one more: hold a 2lbs weight with one hand on your low back. Pull a freestyle stroke with your free hand. At the end of that stroke with your free hand, exchange the weight to that free hand. Do another stroke with the new free hand. Alternate like this for a 50. We call this drill “left to right”.

You will find your self kicking strongly, rotating well and breathing more efficiently as well as finishing your stroke.

A good set would be 4x 50 with weight, rest:15. Put the weight up and swim a 100 rest :30. Do this twice through.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim follow through drills? [swims2day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are barking up the wrong tree.
Quote Reply