Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone use a smartphone as a bike computer?
Quote | Reply
Anyone here use a smartphone as a bike computer? What’s the best way to mount to your handlebars? How’s the battery life? Just wondering as I’d like a screened device right on my handlebars.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use a smartphone as a bike computer? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quad lock hands down. I’ve used mine for about 2 years with zero problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have thought about it, but the thought of putting my emergency communication device front and center if I crash just sounds like a bad idea.

Right now I use Strava for GPS mapping, put the phone in my back pocket and ride. I have a basic computer for speed and cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use a smartphone as a bike computer? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd agree with that. 2 months I got hit by a car. My Edge 1030 broke off the mount, but my iPhone in my back jersey pocket survived and was used to call my wife to assist with my broken bike while I was taken to the hospital.

AndysStrongAle wrote:
I have thought about it, but the thought of putting my emergency communication device front and center if I crash just sounds like a bad idea.

Right now I use Strava for GPS mapping, put the phone in my back pocket and ride. I have a basic computer for speed and cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use a smartphone as a bike computer? [AdamL2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AdamL2424 wrote:

Same here. I have the QuadLock Out Front mount and it works great. I have several other QuadLock accessories, too, like a car window mount and a tripod mount. I use the QuadLock case as my everyday case, and it has saved my phone from damage on several drops.

The only caveat to using a smartphone instead of a standard a bike computer is somewhat limited battery life. A phone just isn't optimized to run GPS tracking/mapping as efficiently as, say, a Garmin 520. I can get 3-4 hours out of an iphone 6s running Strava or Ride With GPS including mapping. I rarely ride more than 2 hours, so that works for me.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use a smartphone as a bike computer? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. Based off the info I think I’ll forgo the smartphone on the bars. With that little battery life I can imagine running way too low. Given I also run Road ID at the same time I’ll just stick with dedicated GPS. Taking a very long and hard look at Byrton 310, 330, or 530.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Thanks everyone. Based off the info I think I’ll forgo the smartphone on the bars. With that little battery life I can imagine running way too low. Given I also run Road ID at the same time I’ll just stick with dedicated GPS. Taking a very long and hard look at Byrton 310, 330, or 530.

I have a Bryton 100E and I haven't had any issues. I know some people have had quality issues with the micro USB port, but it's been good for me. It picked up both of my Cadence/Speed sensors without any issues. I'm using it mostly as a display device, but it's handy as a backup when I forget to start my watch. When I first had it I uploaded a few rides to compare how it tracks with my Garmin, and it was pretty close, but I was riding in the desert, so it was pretty easy GPS terrain.

With the 310 selling for $80 on Amazon, you probably can't go too wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
AdamL2424 wrote:

Same here. I have the QuadLock Out Front mount and it works great. I have several other QuadLock accessories, too, like a car window mount and a tripod mount. I use the QuadLock case as my everyday case, and it has saved my phone from damage on several drops.

The only caveat to using a smartphone instead of a standard a bike computer is somewhat limited battery life. A phone just isn't optimized to run GPS tracking/mapping as efficiently as, say, a Garmin 520. I can get 3-4 hours out of an iphone 6s running Strava or Ride With GPS including mapping. I rarely ride more than 2 hours, so that works for me.

How to you deal with the sweat dripping onto your phone with something like the Quadlock? Curious, as I would never mount an uncased phone onto my bike mainly due to the very real situation that I'll pour a river of sweat right onto it and short it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use a smartphone as a bike computer? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

How to you deal with the sweat dripping onto your phone with something like the Quadlock? Curious, as I would never mount an uncased phone onto my bike mainly due to the very real situation that I'll pour a river of sweat right onto it and short it out.

I use it on my road bike, where the Out Front Mount puts the phone out of "sweat drenching range" for me. I prefer something more compact on the triathlon bike, and use a 310XT watch with quick release for that. They do have a "Poncho" for most iphone and many Galaxy models. I have one that I throw on if there's a chance of rain.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 30, 18 10:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

iPhone 7 and X are "water proof". Anyway totally sufficient for sweat or surprise shower.
Was a big relieve when I made the switch. Using my iPhone with Quadlock like previous poster.
Battery life is greatly extended when you have the screen off and use the voice cues from RideWithGPS.

gary p wrote:
lightheir wrote:

I use it on my road bike, where the Out Front Mount puts the phone out of "sweat drenching range" for me. I prefer something more compact on the triathlon bike, and use a 310XT watch with quick release for that. They do have a "Poncho" for most iphone and many Galaxy models. I have one that I throw on if there's a chance of rain.

Quote Reply