Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoulder pain when running
Quote | Reply
I have been getting pain in my right shoulder when running. After looking at shoulder muscle diagrams, I am almost certain the pain is coming from my rhomboid major on my right side. This pain only comes when running. Never swimming or during work where I am very active physically. On a scale of 1-10 in pain, 10 being the worst pain, this gets up to a 7-8, and can last a few days with sharp pains when twisting. Doesn't come every run, just occasionally. The only other time other than running when I got this pain was years ago when driving a truck snow plowing. The constant movement of my right arm reaching for the passenger seat while turning my head to back up caused the pain.
Anyone else have this issue? Any remedies? I am doing my first ironman this summer and am worried this pain will possibly get me a dnf.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder pain when running [Wsufan18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not had that particular problem, but my go-to for deep pain is trigger point therapy. It has solved at least 70% of my issues, and it has never made things worse. It's typically very quick to know if it will help or not. Ton of info on Google. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your rhomboids are rarely the source of pain, rather, you are experiencing a referral of pain coming from your neck. Find a McKenzie credentialed physical therapist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When is the last time you had your blood pressure checked or bloodwork done?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder pain when running [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pain is directly under my right lower shoulder blade. I had my wife poking around until we found it. So maybe not R. Major.
I had blood pressure done last year once when sick. I cannot remember what the numbers were but the nurse asked if I was a runner and said it was “good”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because your shoulder is not a prime mover you really can't injure it running, unless you fall on it or something like that. I would however definitely get a complete physical in order to rule out more serious conditions.
Quote Reply