Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Substitute for Fizik Ares Saddle
Quote | Reply
I have used the Fizik Ares for about 10 years. It is tolerable, which is probably the best you can hope for with a TT saddle. I ride it with the nose about 1.5 cm lower than the back, or as much as I can get away with without feeling like I am sliding forward. Off and on I have experienced numbness and other problems due to pressure on the perinium. My saddle is wearing out and needs to be replaced. Can someone help me with identifying a few saddles that fit similarly to the Ares but offer some relief for the perinium? I tried a split nose saddle many years ago but my thighs are close together and rubbed on the sides of the nose. Maybe I was sitting on it incorrectly? I tried a Specialized Sitero and it was unacceptable. I do not have a shop near me that stocks a bunch of different tri saddles, so I want to narrow the list of saddles to try. I ride with about 12 cm of drop from saddle to pads if that makes any difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Substitute for Fizik Ares Saddle [wtboone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(Shimano) Pro Stealth
Prologo Dimension Series
Cobb Randee or Tenace
Specialized Power

All are short-nosed saddles like the Ares was, but all are better designed & padded, with perineum relief.

You run most of these level, or with up to 10mm drop from tail to nose.

Edit: I should add, while most of these saddles will likely be an improvement over the Ares, that you're running it angled down so far may indicate that it's in the wrong place. Too high, too far forward, etc. As is often repeated, it might not be the saddle as much as the overall bike fit.
Last edited by: vjohn: Mar 30, 18 7:10
Quote Reply
Re: Substitute for Fizik Ares Saddle [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your help. Do you have any experience with the Aerofuel? It looks like a Pro Stealth with a little more padding at the nose. Of course the Ares is not very padded.

With respect to fit, I agree that some very small changes make a difference. I have switched bikes several times, but if I get the saddle height just a little off, it can make a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT/Track rider
I went from the Ares to the Mistica and have been happy with that change. I had similar issues with split nose saddles (although that was many years ago on the first ism)
The Mistica is kind of like an Arione with the front chopped off and a channel in the middle, might be something to try.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No experience with the Aerofuel, looks interesting though, and appropriate as a potential Ares replacement. If you try one, measure the nose width (I'm curious).
Last edited by: vjohn: Mar 31, 18 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: Substitute for Fizik Ares Saddle [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered a Mistica and rode it for a couple of hours without issue. I was planning on only riding one hour and then switching to the road bike, but it was fine so I just stayed on the TT bike. I did have to set the nose about 3 cm further back than the Ares. Was that your experience as well? I put the Ares on top of the Mistica and lined up where the saddle starts to flare to where your sit-bones go. When I did this the Mistica's nose appeared to have about 3 cm shorter than the Ares. It looks like the Mistica has its extra length at the rear of the saddle where you will never use it. I am guessing this a UCI rule dodging device. My saddle set-back is about 8 cm with the Mistica, the same as my road saddle (Antares). Glad I have a bike that allows a 75 degree angle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,
Yeah my mistica went back from where I had my ares which was already pretty far back.
Glad it seems like a good fit for you

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a yellow Ares. Less than 1000 miles, but shows a little wear. PM me if you're interested.

Have you been fit? If so, what did the fitter say about this? Most of the folks I know that ride with their saddle tipped down that much do it because the saddle is too high to start with. A few have serious pressure issues and were better off on a split-nosed saddle. The downside to tipping the saddle downward is that you're using energy to keep from sliding forward.
Quote Reply