Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Opening Day! [spirogeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having grown up watching Brooks, Palmer, Ripken etc. I am thinking along the same lines. They should be good enough to get a good 70+ wins guaranteed.
Quote Reply
Re: Opening Day! [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only the second time in MLB history that its happened. I remember when Dwight Evans (one of my all-time faves) did it off Jack Morris in '86.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Opening Day! [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A's win in 11, strike out Trout in the top of the 11th with two men on. The rest of the season has been cancelled. A's win the division!

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Jays canā€™t hit. And they have Vlady Guerrero Jr in AA. Iā€™d rather he come up and play.

Why force him to stay in the minors. Bring him up and letā€™s see what he can do. Everyone says heā€™s ready. But nobody goes from A ball to the majors. I guess because thatā€™s how itā€™s always been.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Opening Day! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given his walk off dinger in MTL, the other night, I'd imagine he'll be in the big league lineup at some point this year. Looks like a fun player to watch as his dad was.

Quote Reply
Re: Opening Day! [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

We didn't do so good, ouch...lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Given his walk off dinger in MTL, the other night, I'd imagine he'll be in the big league lineup at some point this year. Looks like a fun player to watch as his dad was.

Iā€™ll be watching where heā€™s playing in the minors. If heā€™s staying at 3B and they are out of it then I would expect Donaldson to be traded and maybe they call him up.

But if they are hanging around the wildcard spot and heā€™s still at 3B then I canā€™t see him coming up. Maybe if he started playing 2B or OF then they might have plans to bring him up.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Opening Day! [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Its Time for Dodger Baseball

And the Dodgers are in last place, where they belong! Kershaw is delt his first loss of the year!
Go Giants!

~Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
How do you feel about your team as yet another season begins? Red Sox had a good spring and have healthy pitching, starters look solid between Sale, Price, Porcello (spent the entire spring training working with Derek Lowe on perfecting his sinker) and Eduardo Rodriguez, plus have Pomeranz (17 wins last year) on the shelf. Only big lineup shift was adding JD Martinez, who should fill some of the power void that was missing last year with Ortiz retired and Hanley Ramirez dealing with shoulder issues. AL East looks deep as usual.

Let's play two!

The Tigers had to cancel their opening day yesterday due to rain, and instead are having it today in crisp early spring temps. Could be a harbinger of a season to come, to be honest, because they hadn't sold out for Opening Day, something that hasn't happened in awhile.

"And they'll walk out to the bleachers, and sit in shirt-sleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game, and it'll be as if they'd dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they'll have to brush them away from their faces. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game -- it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again." -Terrance Mann

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Opening Day! [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best scene/quote in the movie. That and ā€œHey rookie! You were good ā€œ. Gets dusty in the room.

Quote Reply
Re: Opening Day! [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Its Time for Dodger Baseball

Wait till next year

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Best scene/quote in the movie. That and ā€œHey rookie! You were good ā€œ. Gets dusty in the room.

Growing up, we were like the kids in that move 'The Sandlot.' We played all day, every day -- sometimes at the park on a real diamond, sometimes down at the corner elementary school gravel-filled playground, sometimes with rocks and broomsticks in the alley that ran behind our houses (we called that 'Rocky Mountain Baseball').

Sometimes we'd make a batter's-zone sized-box on a brick wall of the school and played 'Strikeout', using one of those hardware store-bought white rubber balls (stamped "Major League") that were the size and weight of a hardball. Usually, you played that if there were only two or four of you and you couldn't get anyone else to play. One pitcher and fielder against two batters. Three outs and you switched. Home runs had to clear the school fence. Triples had to land a certain distance, and so forth. We played wherever we could, whenever we could.

We also played a game out on the sidewalk in front of our houses called "Running Bases." You walked off a certain distance of sidewalk squares and had two fielders, one on each opposite designated sidewalk square. Then you put a runner on one of the squares. The goal for the runner was to "steal" the other base (the opposite sidewalk square). There were runs awarded, and if you were thrown out you became the fielder while the one who tagged you out became the runner. We didn't realize it, but we were developing varsity-level base running, throwing and fielding skills just by playing on a city neighborhood's sidewalk.

We got our gloves either from Western Auto (when it existed) or the corner hardware store (they had a nice selection of Rawling's and Spalding gloves) or Sears. Same for bats, which were wooden, not aluminum (at least, not until junior high), and we scored a new Louisville Slugger, stamped with a favorite Detroit Tiger, on Free Bat Day (can you imagine passing out full-sized, MLB-approved baseball bats today? ;-).

Back then, the "batter's glove" really wasn't in widespread use (I didn't use one until high school), and we all tried to imitate the batter's stance of our favorite players (Willie Horton's was a bear, believe me ;-). Doing Joe Morgan's insane elbow-drop thing was always worth extra style points. Hahahahaha!

Quote Reply
Re: Opening Day! [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We did the same with the rundowns, calling it ā€œpickle ā€œ. Usually there were enough kids around to get some type of game going, whether in someoneā€™s yard or a nearby field. Weā€™d also do home run derby with a whiffle ball/bat where youā€™d hit towards the back of the house and depending on which floor you hit determined double, triple, homer etc. I donā€™t think kids do stuff like that anymore.

Yazā€™s stance/swing was a bitch to copy. I got yelled at by my little league coach for doing it in a game.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
We did the same with the rundowns, calling it ā€œpickle ā€œ. Usually there were enough kids around to get some type of game going, whether in someoneā€™s yard or a nearby field. Weā€™d also do home run derby with a whiffle ball/bat where youā€™d hit towards the back of the house and depending on which floor you hit determined double, triple, homer etc. I donā€™t think kids do stuff like that anymore.

Yazā€™s stance/swing was a bitch to copy. I got yelled at by my little league coach for doing it in a game.

I never tried his, mainly because I never had the style and panache needed to pull it off. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Opening Day! [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went on a baseball trip with my son last year following the Royals up and down the west coast. Truly interested to hear why you say Petco is the best fan expirience in MLB? Isn't winning the best fan experience?
Last edited by: D.O.: Mar 30, 18 16:02
Quote Reply
Re: Opening Day! [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
You all can stop with the silly predictions.

The Mariners will end the longest playoff drought in pro sports by going to and wining the world series.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

King Felix with the win.

Nelson ā€œ Boomstickā€ Cruz hits one out.

Mariners in first place.

Wire to wire.
Quote Reply
Re: Opening Day! [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
davec wrote:
You all can stop with the silly predictions.

The Mariners will end the longest playoff drought in pro sports by going to and wining the world series.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

King Felix with the win.

Nelson ā€œ Boomstickā€ Cruz hits one out.

Mariners in first place.

Wire to wire.

Nice to see Felix win a close one and hand a loss to Kluber.
Quote Reply
Re: Opening Day! [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Still hockey season!

But dammit! Giants - MadBum surgery. Royals - Savy - surgery.

What team is closest to you now? Reds?

Probably a wash between the Reds and the Braves. We have the Oakland As triple A team here and their stadium is only 1/2 mile from my house.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Opening Day! [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Bunch of crooks

https://www.thestar.com/news/investigations/2018/03/29/jays-get-a-cut-from-online-scalpers.html

Quote Reply
Re: Opening Day! [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mets and Yanks both won yesterday, so that's a good season opener for me!

Did anyone see the season over and under for the Yankees....94.5 wins! Whew, that's a big number, too high for my money.

Mets look like a safer bet to me at 81.5.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! šŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! I thought this was going to be about trout season

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next