Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubular Spares/Repair Procedure
Quote | Reply
Someone I know offered me a set of race wheels at a good price. Enve SES 6.7s tubular. I bought them without really thinking. I've never had tubular wheels before. My LBS glued the tyres on but then there was a problem with the rear wheel and it had to be removed to re tension the spokes. When they refitted it they used tape. So now the front is glued and the rear is tapped.

The tyres I got are GP 4000s II. Which I now understand have butyl inners and not very fast rollers, they are also very narrow. I need a spare to carry for my upcoming Ironman.

What should I do about a spare, the current tyres and the tape/glue mix? Wonder if I should buy a new set of faster tyres and get both put on with tape. Keep one of the GPs for a spare. Will the tape stay on the rim if I need to change in the race? Is it best to put slime in now or carry Pitstop?

This is my first IM and I am not going to be fast so want some decent puncture protection at the expense of rolling resistance but also don't want to be being robbed of speed from the tyres.

Other option which seems extreme is to sell them on and buy a set of clinchers and stick with what I know!
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Spares/Repair Procedure [iwaters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Either glue or tape is fine. Arguments for/against each, but in the end, either will do the job. Hopefully the tire that is glued isn't glued on so well that you won't be able to pull it off on the side of the road.

As far as a spare goes, you don't need to pre-glue/tape it. It can be brand new (pre-stretched is good), and will stay on the rim just fine as a temporary replacement to get you through a race. Just don't take any 90 degree corners at 50km/hr and you'll be fine.

That said, given all the variables and your lack of experience with tubulars (which is understandable), I'd recommend selling and getting clinchers. I'm a long time tubular user/lover, and even I made the switch to clinchers a few years ago. I think they make much more sense for triathletes for multiple reasons...

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Spares/Repair Procedure [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I think you might be right. I am a bit limited in choice as the current wheelset has a Powertap hub and I want the same. These look good value. I should easily get the money back from selling the Enves.

https://www.cyclepowermeters.com/powertap/powertap-wheels/powertap-g3-amp-50-wheels.html

They are shallower than the Enves though (this might work in may favour as my race is Lanza and those cross winds). Looks like they are made by Reynolds. Enve had no rider weight limit (I am a big chap 6'5'', 225lbs) and it looks like Reynolds wheels are the same.

These are 2.5x the price

https://www.cyclepowermeters.com/powertap/powertap-wheels/powertap-g3-enve-ses-4-5-carbon-clincher-wheelset.html

Can they honestly be 2.5x better?

Would be good for my piece of mind. This is my first IM and my wife and kids are all coming for a holiday, Be a shame for it to go wrong struggling to swap a tub, or worse messing it up and it rolling off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iwaters wrote:

Can they honestly be 2.5x better?

Nope. Marketing.

You could get a set of Flo wheels, just as fast as any others, aluminum brake surface ,etc., and spend money saved on a stages crank arm PM or similar. May also find HED Jets on sale for the same price as flo's if you shop around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Put orange seal in you tires, that's your first line of defense.
2. A can of Hutchinchin Fast Air Inflator or Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex Espresso Cartridge, those are my fix a flats of choice.
3. If the above 2 do not work, cut the tub off, I use a tiny Swiss Army knife, or peel it off. Slap on your spare tub of choice. Mine is a Tufo Elite Jet 160 Tubular Tire, it rolls up really small , half fill with co2 to line it up, finish the canister of co2, final check for alignment. Roll. No longer than changing a clincher. Just relax and don't panic.
4. Second can of Hutchinson or Effetto in case of a second flat. Never needed.

Above is for longer than 70.3 races.

Just check your spare tub. They can dry rot especially around the valve. And don't use a spare tubular with latex. The CO2 loss is much much MUCH faster than butyl.

For a 70.3 I just carry 2 cans of sealant, with sealant in my tubulars. Running Vittoria Corsa Speeds with 1oz of orange seal in each.

I glue my own tubulars with Mastick, I’ve never used the tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Spares/Repair Procedure [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with everything mike s said.......question is, as someone with zero experience using tubulars and about to go race your first ironman, are you comfortable with all that? :)

The fact that you needed your bike shop to put the tires on for you......what are you going to do on the side of the road during the race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tape is slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the real worry for me. I tried to put them on myself and I ended up with huge blisters. If they flat I will be in race mode (HR/Adrenaline) panicking that I can't get it on. A clincher I can change in minutes and have done it loads of times.

Those AMP wheels look ok and at £1K are a bargain. To be honest I can keep the enves as well at that price and use them on shorter races
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you decide to keep the tubulars, PM me and I'll walk you through a ridiculously easy way to get them on the rims, no blisters, no glue mess (but still uses glue).

But yeah, everything kind of points to the fact you should go clinchers for now IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have received some good info below. Here is my 2 cents.
I like you bought my first pair of Tubular Race wheels when I was new to the sport over 10+ years ago, and tubulars then were faster than clinchers and less expensive. However, I gave that time back with Gatorskins the first few years, because I was worried about flatting (Bad choice on Go Fast wheels).
I also rode with Tubular's on my Road Bike for 8 years as my Off season and Fun bike, so I am pretty comfortable with Tubulars. Although I am all clinchers now,( I had 1 to many afternoons cleaning old glue off of rim, and a few extra bucks that needed spending).
1) GP 4000's for your tires. Fast, Good puncture resistance. etc. They just work.
2) Learn to glue your own tires. Yes it is a time suck, but you will know they are on right. After all the bike shop mechanic will not be on the bike with you on a twisty 40 mph decent. Plus you will be comfortable with changing a flat.
3) Carry a razor blade or knife to cut tire off rim if you flat and the sealant fails. I never flatted in a race with tubulars, but did 4 or 5 times on training rides. My Pitt Stop worked about 50% of the time. The good news about tubulars they do not puncture in my (N1) experience as easy as clinchers. I never used sealent in an un punctured tire.
4) Important little nugget here, especially if you do not have strong hands. Pre stretch your spare! Put it in the dryer for 5 minutes, stretch it onto a spare rim inflate it and let it still for 48 hours. I have never owned Enve's, but getting tires onto the old dimpled Zipps was a workout (and I am strong). This also goes for installation of new tires when you replace them.
5) At the beginning of the season put new rubber on. Yes I know a season of just racing will barely put any wear on the tires, but just do it. Plus if you glue your own, it is good practice.
6) As others have said, changing a tubular should not take any longer than changing a clincher.
7) Race day. I found a bag (X Lab tubular saddle bag) to fit my Tubular Spare (Gatorskin bigger than the Tufo Jet, 1 can of pitstop, knife, and 2 CO2). Depending upon my raceday and distance kit. Put this in my back pocket (Desoto Tri Suit 70.3 / Rear Cycling Jersey Ironman) or duct tape behind the seat. (Ugly but secure). Some people use a spare water bottle with the lid removed I could not fold the Gatorskin small enough to fit this way.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help. I have ordered the Amp wheels. I will decide whether or not to keep the Enves later.

Its a weight off my mind now. Just got to worry about hauling 225lbs up 2.5Km of climbing into 25mph headwinds over 112 miles now :-)
Quote Reply