Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wahoo Tickr
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone. I know there's already a lot out there on the Wahoo Tickr via search function but it's mentioned so often I can't really sift through the crap to get the info I want.

Can anyone comment to longevity? My Garmin hard strap is still working but the elastic has become essentially an old pair of underwear that barely stays up... Think about upgrading to something that has the dual band tech. I would prefer to stay chest strap as 1) the accuracy is still unbeaten, and 2) I'm forgetful and likely to grab my device on a weekly basis finding the HR dead. The issues I have is I once had a garmin soft strap several years back and that was chafe city. Is this the same?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Tickr [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Hey everyone. I know there's already a lot out there on the Wahoo Tickr via search function but it's mentioned so often I can't really sift through the crap to get the info I want.

Can anyone comment to longevity? My Garmin hard strap is still working but the elastic has become essentially an old pair of underwear that barely stays up... Think about upgrading to something that has the dual band tech. I would prefer to stay chest strap as 1) the accuracy is still unbeaten, and 2) I'm forgetful and likely to grab my device on a weekly basis finding the HR dead. The issues I have is I once had a garmin soft strap several years back and that was chafe city. Is this the same?

Where was the chafing? I have a year old Garmin soft strap and have no issues. I did have an older strap that caused chafing at the latch point (i.e. where the plastic hook at one end connects into the fabric loop and the other end). They've since modified the strap so there's a piece of fabric under the latch and I haven't had any chafing issues since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem with my soft strap from garmin. Red marks on my chest below the sensor after every use. I switched to a Wahoo Tickr (the basic version) a couple of years ago. No more marks or any other problems. The strap still seems fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get the scosche rhythm + instead. it's ant+ and bluetooth and you don't have to wear a chest strap. The optical seems to work pretty well on the upper forearm.

The tickr I have is junk. The strap rusted out in months. Now I use it with a garmin strap when on the trainer and half the time I pick it up it's dead or won't respond and I have to take the battery out and short the battery connections to get it to wake back up.

https://www.amazon.com/...rmband/dp/B00JQHTJS2
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Tickr [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

Where was the chafing? I have a year old Garmin soft strap and have no issues. I did have an older strap that caused chafing at the latch point (i.e. where the plastic hook at one end connects into the fabric loop and the other end). They've since modified the strap so there's a piece of fabric under the latch and I haven't had any chafing issues since.

It was right on the sternum. Never had an issue with any other strap I've ever used including some very old and very basic Polar and Timex straps. This thing would just cut my chest all the time.

Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Tickr [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
get the scosche rhythm + instead. it's ant+ and bluetooth and you don't have to wear a chest strap. The optical seems to work pretty well on the upper forearm.

The tickr I have is junk. The strap rusted out in months. Now I use it with a garmin strap when on the trainer and half the time I pick it up it's dead or won't respond and I have to take the battery out and short the battery connections to get it to wake back up.

I've heard many good things about Scoshe but the caveat I carry with any optical armband is battery life. I don't like the fact I have to charge my HR monitor, and I have to charge my GPS, and I charge my headphones. Just one more thing to forget about. I have also wondered what Scoshe users do for Ironman.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've owned 5 garmin and one wahoo the wahoo is 2 years + old i use it every day and love it. i use the garmin soft strap with the wahoo snapped on it. garmin was too glitchy for me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the tickrFit. So much better than the chest strap. I prefer to run with it versus the strap around my chest. But both are good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tickr has actually held up better than my Garmin straps. I do not find the snaps from the strap to the transmitter very robust and have unsnapped them by bumping it. It has, however, lasted much longer than my Garmin straps.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Tickr [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe a dumb question, but I assume the Tickr transmits to Garmin devices (Fenix and Edge)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

Can you explain to me how a fabric strap rusted? I am so confused.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Tickr [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. The Tickr broadcasts in ANT+ and Bluetooth

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Tickr [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes sir. Just like all the other ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only had garmin straps hard and soft the soft rusted out on me twice where the buttons connected replaced once second time I bought a tickr. I have been using it daily for about 5 months and love it so far no issues at all but its only been 5 months.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Tickr [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
Sean H wrote:

Sure thing.

You see there are these metal parts on the strap that connect to the HRM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
Sean H wrote:

Sure thing.

You see there are these metal parts on the strap that connect to the HRM.

So it's not the strap that rusted then. It's the connectors? I've had my Tickr since it first released, probably have over 1000 hours on the thing. No rust on mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Tickr [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good lord, the connectors are part of the strap.

Well they were until one rusted and popped off attached to the hrm.

Well I guess I had better be 100% clear so you don’t get confused again, the metal bits connecting the connector to the strap are what rusted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
Get the tickrFit. So much better than the chest strap. I prefer to run with it versus the strap around my chest. But both are good.

I actually was considering it. How long have you had it? One of my primary concerns is longevity. After all it's replacing the epic tank that is known as the Garmin Hardstrap. On that matter why doesn't Garmin make a dual band hardstrap? If I went optical I would want to go Wahoo because of the battery life. As stated earlier I can be forgetful. Adding a HR strap to the list of things to charge could be a pain.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also how about wearing it beneath a wetsuit? I'm assuming it's plenty comfortable but how well does it stay in place when you take it off?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to me. I always took the same side off, and never washed the strap (yes, I know.. gross). With a small screwdriver I was able to get the snap bit out of the hr sensor and bought a new strap. Good as new, and now after every use I unsnap the sensor completely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the thing about the TickrFit. The HR itself is great. It picks up quickly and I really enjoy running with it and not being constricted with something around my chest. With that said, when it become wet, I mean really wet, the band itself starts to unravel. I guess one side of the band comes apart from the other side if that makes sense. Once that happened I cut that piece off and it still works like a charm. I talked to Chip (founder and CEO) about this issue and they are aware of it. They're are currently working with some manufacturers to get create a better band.

I, personally, use it every day. I haven't tried using it under a wetsuit yet, but I did try and swim with it. It was, eh, alright. My goal is to strip off the wetsuit and throw it on in transition. It's easy to slip on. I'd say almost like putting on one of those livestrong bracelets.
Quote Reply