Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Everyday wheelset
Quote | Reply
STer's, looking for some input on buying a wheelset for my roadbike.

Looking for something about 30mm deep that is robust and wont' break the bank. I have HED Ardennes now but there are so many miles on them.

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Everyday wheelset [Skipp80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought Fulcrum racing quattro's as trainingwheels. They've been through belgian winter and have been hitting cobbles on almost every trainingride. Seem to be bombproof and pretty cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: Everyday wheelset [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered a similar set as well, from Merlin, Fulcrum Racing 7's. Came to under $200 Canadian -with- shipping (they had a promo code going).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another set of HED Ardennes? Is there something you don't like about them?

I just bought a set and really like them. It's my first set of wheels with wide rims.
Quote Reply
Re: Everyday wheelset [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Another set of HED Ardennes? Is there something you don't like about them?

I just bought a set and really like them. It's my first set of wheels with wide rims.

They are great, but I am looking for a cheaper option to replace them. I bought them used and they had a quite a bit of mileage on them then and I have piled on quite a bit more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My next set of road bike wheels will be Ardennes Black. I have a set of light Vuelta wheels that I love, but they are narrow rims. I am running 25c tires, so it is a PITA to get the wheels on and off through the brakes. Ardennes is the only wide set of rims I have found that are also light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I like the Vision Team 30's and 35's.
The 35's are deeper (35mm) and narrower (17mm internal), 18/21 blade spokes
The 30's are shallower (30mm) and wider (19mm internal), 20/24 blade spokes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipp80 wrote:
STer's, looking for some input on buying a wheelset for my roadbike.

Looking for something about 30mm deep that is robust and wont' break the bank. I have HED Ardennes now but there are so many miles on them.

Any suggestions?

Flo 30s

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get the hed jet+ 4s. bonus you can use the front as a race wheel in windy races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would just keep riding the HEDs as long as they stay true and you don't break a spoke. I had a pair of Rolf's that lasted nearly a decade and about 60,000 miles. I never trued them, never replaced bearings or spokes, and rode them on gravel a bunch.

You could try Flo 30s. The hubs, bearings and spokes are great. They are tubeless ready, wide, and very aero for a 30mm deep rim. My experience has been that the rim material isn't as high quality as a HED, so I tend to put some dents in the bead hook after a couple years of use, but at 80$ for a replacement rim it isn't a big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just saw these in the classifieds

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Re: Everyday wheelset [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I would just keep riding the HEDs as long as they stay true and you don't break a spoke. I had a pair of Rolf's that lasted nearly a decade and about 60,000 miles. I never trued them, never replaced bearings or spokes, and rode them on gravel a bunch.

You could try Flo 30s. The hubs, bearings and spokes are great. They are tubeless ready, wide, and very aero for a 30mm deep rim. My experience has been that the rim material isn't as high quality as a HED, so I tend to put some dents in the bead hook after a couple years of use, but at 80$ for a replacement rim it isn't a big deal.

Spokes breaking has been my issue, two last year and one the year before has made my decision for me (disclaimer: our roads are absolute crap).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Boyd altamont ceramic rims built with White Industries T11 hubs and DT Swiss comp spokes that are amazing all around wheels. Fairly light, stiff, strong, awesome braking, and not super pricey. Would highly recommend them or a similar set up with whatever your hubs and spokes of choice are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The heavy set that comes with it!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano Ultegra wheels, or look at a set from November.

Last edited by: M----n: Mar 29, 18 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: Everyday wheelset [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super cheap you can get a used set of the Giant wheels that come with the Propels. The PA2. It's 30mm and seems pretty bomb proof.

They are a little heavy.
Quote Reply
Re: Everyday wheelset [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my Flo 30's
Quote Reply
Re: Everyday wheelset [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
Personally I like the Vision Team 30's and 35's.
The 35's are deeper (35mm) and narrower (17mm internal), 18/21 blade spokes
The 30's are shallower (30mm) and wider (19mm internal), 20/24 blade spokes

+1 for the Visions. I have the Team 35's and they are strong. I'm a clydesdale and have been riding these for a year with no issues. They can be had quite cheap brand new as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo 30s--good quality product, reasonably priced, great customer service.

Flo is developing a next generation of wheels, it might be worth inquiring on timelines there.
Quote Reply
Re: Everyday wheelset [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can milk another season out of your current wheels, watch mybikeshop.com starting around the 1st of the year. They have an annual special on HED Ardennes Plus wheels, but quantities are limited. Pricing this year started out under $500, then went to $575 as spring approached. They're already sold out for 2018.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Everyday wheelset [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should have that of that, since that's what I run on my city bike. But they do weigh a lot...

Quote Reply