Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Turning a 70.3 into a bike race, with a swim.
Quote | Reply
I've got my first race of the season in about 5 weeks, but I've been crippled with PF and assorted foot issues all winter so I'm basically a non-runner at the moment. I can't get a refund so my plan is to just swim and bike and then limp to the car park without my medal and T-Shirt.

I'm thinking though of turning it into a bike race. I've got a new bike coming next week so this could be a great first outing. Will it be a "dick move" though to come out of the swim (mid pack) and then have a leisurely T1 into roadie gear and then race the course as a roadie, complete with socks?

I'm quite looking forward to it. I'm curious to see how competitive i can be on a light climbing bike (3500ft course) compared to the TT bikes, bearing in mind that i won't have to worry about running a HM afterwards.

Has anyone else done this, was it a great day out, or was it still disappointing not completing it with the run?
Quote Reply
Re: Turning a 70.3 into a bike race, with a swim. [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the same thing last year, couldn’t run for 6 weeks before the race and it wasn’t my A race of the year. Did a nice easy swim, took about 10 minutes in T1, and then hammered the bike. After the bike gave my timing anklet to the RD (don’t forget) and took another easy swim because I had to wait to take my bike from transition.

Was it a dick move? In my mind nope, the race got my money and I completed as much as I could while staying with in the rules.

Have fun and hammer the bike!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's a big deal so long as you don't disrupt the race.
i.e If others thought they were competing with you and your pacing influenced their performance that would be unfortunate.
However, since you plan to swim mid-pack and take it very easy in T1, before riding on your road bike, it's unlikely you'll influence anyone near the front and anyone further back should be pacing to their ability anyway. So I don't think there's much wrong with it.

P.S. I always wear socks on the bike when doing a triathlon (I don't do sprints)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a slightly dickish move, but compared to the other dickish things that some of your SRS BZNS competitors are likely to do at the race, it will hardly rate. You've paid your money, there's no refund or transfer policy, so go make the best day out if it you can. If that means whooping some ass on the bike leg, then bowing out, have at it.

I've been accused of hammering the swim, then coasting the rest of the way. Truth is, I'm just a much better swimmer than biker or runner ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 29, 18 4:41
Quote Reply
Re: Turning a 70.3 into a bike race, with a swim. [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking forward to this now.

I'm a 34 minute swimmer but a 2:30 rider so on my new Emonda SLR this should be a fun race.

Just got to hope it doesn't piss with rain all day...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
I've got my first race of the season in about 5 weeks, but I've been crippled with PF and assorted foot issues all winter so I'm basically a non-runner at the moment. I can't get a refund so my plan is to just swim and bike and then limp to the car park without my medal and T-Shirt.

I'm thinking though of turning it into a bike race. I've got a new bike coming next week so this could be a great first outing. Will it be a "dick move" though to come out of the swim (mid pack) and then have a leisurely T1 into roadie gear and then race the course as a roadie, complete with socks?

I'm quite looking forward to it. I'm curious to see how competitive i can be on a light climbing bike (3500ft course) compared to the TT bikes, bearing in mind that i won't have to worry about running a HM afterwards.

Has anyone else done this, was it a great day out, or was it still disappointing not completing it with the run?

SBQ...Swim, Bike, Quit.

Been there, done that.

As long as you don't interfere with other competitors, who cares how you approach the race.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally, 100% fine.

Most of the HMs and even Olys have had relay teams on the same course, and not all of them are just 'for the fun of it' slower relay racers. I remember getting passed by a whole squad of 8 riders illegally drafting cruising at around 24mph on a flat (who got later flagged by a ref) - turns out they were mostly relay riders, probably most of whom weren't aware of the bike draft rule in tri. Took me awhile to realize why their bibs looked different than mine - it was a minibummer as I was chomping at the bit to run all these guys down since none of them were on tribikes, so I figured cycling would be their strength by far.

At another HIM I did I was surprised by the number of female riders keeping up with me and passing me back and forth. I'm not bike stud, but it's unusual to have 6-7 female AG riders surrounding me in the group; turns out nearly all of them were relay riders and were part of a bike racing team/club - I actuallly complimented one of them on her bike prowess as she came up neck and neck with me after a good hour of back and forth, and she told me she and the other girls were in a racing club and doing the race relay style so no running for them, just bike hammering.
Last edited by: lightheir: Mar 29, 18 6:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with it at all as long as you are interfering with others. Have fun with it!

SBB

Swim Bike beer
Quote Reply