Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Uber settled - that seems very quick. stem the bleeding?
Quote | Reply
I can not begin to imagine how much it was worth to them to shut this down as quickly as they have.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/29/uber-settles-with-family-of-woman-killed-by-self-driving-car
Quote Reply
Re: Uber settled - that seems very quick. stem the bleeding? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I can not begin to imagine how much it was worth to them to shut this down as quickly as they have.

https://www.theguardian.com/...-by-self-driving-car

I would say the quickness of the settlement also speaks to the fact that the video suggested the woman who died was primarily at fault, which means the incentive for her family to go to court was lower. The settlement may have been relatively small (i.e. $1m or less) but still a good sum for the family given the risk they could lose in court.
Last edited by: Kay Serrar: Mar 29, 18 5:49
Quote Reply
Re: Uber settled - that seems very quick. stem the bleeding? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Uber settled - that seems very quick. stem the bleeding? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arizona is a pure comparative negligence case, so while the pedestrian was likely at fault to some degree, she probably wasn't 100% at fault, which means that Uber would have had to pay damages at whatever percentage it was deemed to have been at fault.

The pedestrian's negligence may have given Uber some leverage, but in a death case, comparative negligence might still have given her family even more.

I don't think any of that is what lead to such a quick settlement, as those aspects were not out of the ordinary.

The best explanation for why it settled this quickly is that Uber didn't want to see all the bad publicity that a suit would bring. First, there's the press conference that the family's lawyered up, with corresponding coverage. Then, there's the news articles on the complaint that has been filed. Then new articles on every new development in the case. Etc. And each time it gets caught up in the media, there's more pressure for political action based on knee-jerk and unfounded reactions to "dangers" of an autonomous vehicle, threatening their project. An early settlement helps avoid that.

Of course, Uber had ot have paid a premium for settling early.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber settled - that seems very quick. stem the bleeding? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Arizona is a pure comparative negligence case, so while the pedestrian was likely at fault to some degree, she probably wasn't 100% at fault, which means that Uber would have had to pay damages at whatever percentage it was deemed to have been at fault.

The pedestrian's negligence may have given Uber some leverage, but in a death case, comparative negligence might still have given her family even more.

I don't think any of that is what lead to such a quick settlement, as those aspects were not out of the ordinary.

The best explanation for why it settled this quickly is that Uber didn't want to see all the bad publicity that a suit would bring. First, there's the press conference that the family's lawyered up, with corresponding coverage. Then, there's the news articles on the complaint that has been filed. Then new articles on every new development in the case. Etc. And each time it gets caught up in the media, there's more pressure for political action based on knee-jerk and unfounded reactions to "dangers" of an autonomous vehicle, threatening their project. An early settlement helps avoid that.

And of course it also cuts off discovery. The car didn't appear to see her at all. Or maybe it did and executed it's 'kill all humans' command routine.

Either way, if the files show a complete failure by the car it is a very bad look, even if the pedestrian has a lot of fault.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber settled - that seems very quick. stem the bleeding? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

And of course it also cuts off discovery. The car didn't appear to see her at all. Or maybe it did and executed it's 'kill all humans' command routine.

Either way, if the files show a complete failure by the car it is a very bad look, even if the pedestrian has a lot of fault.

NHTSA is investigating this it is still going to come out, and yes at this point I have not heard a single person who understands Lidar even trying to explain how the Lidar didn't see her. My guess it did, the programing had some kind of error and did not take action on what the sensor saw. But all will come out. The settlement of this lawsuit won't stop the federal investigation.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber settled - that seems very quick. stem the bleeding? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
j p o wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

NHTSA is investigating this it is still going to come out, and yes at this point I have not heard a single person who understands Lidar even trying to explain how the Lidar didn't see her. My guess it did, the programing had some kind of error and did not take action on what the sensor saw. But all will come out. The settlement of this lawsuit won't stop the federal investigation.

But can it cover up the 'KILL ALL HUMANS' sub-routine? They really should have come up with a better name for it. Stupid killer robots.

NHTSA investigations can take a while. I imagine we will be several levels of advancement past the current version by the time they are done.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply