Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seattle Area - Seeking Guidance on Bike Fitter Selection
Quote | Reply
Just so everyone reading this knows I've done my "forum due diligence", I've already looked at the Bike Fitters page for my area (Seattle) on the ST web site (there isn't much info in there, beyond the list of fitters) and searched the Forums for past threads on my topic (the ones that had potentially relevant info are all a number of years old - likely somewhat outdated). Hence, my new thread...

Specifically, I'm looking for any recommendations related to choosing a bike fitter in the greater Seattle/Puget Sound area. Thought it might help to add some details on what I'm looking for, in case any of you have used local fitters for similar services recently.

Last year was my first year doing Tris. Since I wasn't sure how well I'd like the sport, my first bike purchase was a (relatively entry level) road bike (Giant Defy 2 Disc). I used that bike - riding on the hoods - for all my Tris last year. At the end of last season, I decided to start working on riding aero, so I had "short bars" installed on my road bike, along with a brief fit adjustment to balance position between being on the hoods vs in the short bars (didn't change anything else on the bike geometry, such as seat post angle, as I'm saving my pennies for upcoming purchase of a Tri bike later this year).

My plan for this year is to again ride with my road bike, probably spending some time in aero and some on the hoods (as I build up my endurance for riding in aero position). Meanwhile, I'll be keeping my eyes out for good deals on purchase for a dedicated Tri bike (again, relatively entry level - most likely, something like the Felt B14, but possibly in the "entry-level plus" range [P2, PR3, etc] per Dan's recent series of review articles).

So, with all that long pre-amble out of the way, I'm looking for a bike fitter to perform the following services:

1) Check the quality of the fit on my current road bike and adjust as needed, given that I'll need a fit that balances between short bar aero position and hood position (on a bike with road geometry). Yes, I realize that fit will not be optimal, but it'll have to do for the short term (until I buy a Tri bike).

2) Perform a fit assessment (sizing?) for me for my Tri bike purchase later this year. That is, give my my optimized fit coordinates (stack, reach, etc...) and provide recommendations for which bike suppliers/models/sizes/etc are compatible for my fit needs. Also, help me find a saddle that will work on the tri bike.

3) After I purchase my Tri bike later this year, refine my fit on that bike.

My understanding (which I recognize may not be correct) is that most fitters can do the fit on an existing bike more easily, but are not so equipped for the prospective sizing and matching of fit coordinates to the geometries of various tri bikes (i.e. - recommending models that are consistent with my fit needs).

Any recommendations for bike fitters in Seattle/Puget Sound who can do these services well? Especially, any experiences with fitters who have done all this for you?

Thanks in advance for your guidance and recommendations.

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Area - Seeking Guidance on Bike Fitter Selection [Mongo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neal Goldberg
http://footworkspt.com/2009/node/13

Sam Wheeler
http://r2bicycles.com

Eric Moen
http://corporesanopt.com/about/

I’ve seen Neal and Eric for problem solving and the related evolution of my fit. Sam fit my dad and I’ve generally heard good things. All three have a good reputation.

Contact each of them and choose based on their response to your inquiry.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Area - Seeking Guidance on Bike Fitter Selection [Mongo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No brainier, hit up fredly on this forum. Great fitter, great coach, in charge of the diamondback fit program, works with Neal (mentioned above). He has both fit me on existing bikes and on a fit bike for purchasing purposes.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gonna give a second to Eric Moen at Corpore Sano.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Area - Seeking Guidance on Bike Fitter Selection [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To GreatScott, CCF, and brider --

Thanks for taking time to respond to my request and provide recommendations. I appreciate it. I will be following up on your recommendations, and will report back with my experiences from the fit/sizing.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam +1
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle Area - Seeking Guidance on Bike Fitter Selection [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 for Neal, worked him for years and couldn't be happier. Many friends and teammates as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for Eric Moen. He adjusted my road bike for both road and tri positions with the Redshift system, and I went back to him when I bought a tri bike. He also showed me areas to work on and specific stretches to improve flexibility.
Quote Reply