Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strength Training
Quote | Reply
How much? How often? What works best (I'm aware we are all different)? Anybody have plans they have used that are effective and efficent?
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training [kw259801] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm usually doing 3-4x a week, with 2x of those being on the longer and more intense side (60-75min). The others are usually 20-30m sessions and more recovery focused (lighter lifting to warm-up and then mostly stretching / foam rolling).

For structure, I really like Bridge Athletic's approach (http://bridgeathletic.com/), though I'm using their swim-specific program.

On the effects of all this, I don't get much opportunity to bike outside though I live in a great area for it (SF Bay Area). I'm now 6-8 months into bringing weight training into my routine and able to climb easily on the bike again like I used to a few years back when riding outside all the time - so all the leg work is definitely showing.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training [kw259801] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First you have to know what you want to achieve. If you don't know that or don't post that here no one can really give more then a shot in the dark.

If I want to maximize my performance on the bike or running then I target the areas of my body that seem to take the most beating on the bike and/or run and work those areas lightly to moderately. For example, When I'm just running and biking and not doing any strength training my core and upper body get very weak. Therefore I focus on those areas so they hold up better during the long runs or rides.

If on the other hand I have a strength goal to lift X amount of lbs in certain lifts I train totally different. Then I really reduce the runs and rides and spend a lot more time lifting.

We gotta know what your goals are.
Quote Reply