Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 is the last year for Ironman 70.3 Raleigh [karstens22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
making that left turn on the bike and seeing the city skyline always gave me a second wind..White Lake..easy but boring..Lake Logan on the list this year
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 is the last year for Ironman 70.3 Raleigh [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a feeling that this race was doomed when I saw the number of vendors at the expo last year. It was pretty bad. Maybe Ironman needs to take another look at their fee structure to be a vendor at their races. But yes, it's about the money.

I think one of the reasons this race hasn't sold out is that it's an honest race. You're not getting the aided swim, or the flat bike course, and it's hot on the run. A lot of people seem to want to do easy races. I thought Ironman was about being tough and doing a hard race, not seeing if we can make it as easy as possible for everyone to cover 70.3 miles. But that's just my 2 cents.

I also agree that I didn't think it was that tough to navigate the point to point logistics of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 is the last year for Ironman 70.3 Raleigh [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:
That race was a logistical mess

I also disagree. I did the race 4 times. Skipped last year. Wrote the race off for this year after seeing the new run course, but this recent news has me thinking I'll take one last shot..........

Reading comprehension fail? He was talking about the defunct FS HIM.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 is the last year for Ironman 70.3 Raleigh [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You assume USCoregonian was replying to post #3. My money is on a reply to post #1.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 is the last year for Ironman 70.3 Raleigh [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
You assume USCoregonian was replying to post #3. My money is on a reply to post #1.

Yeah, I did. I lost that bet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in the Raleigh area (Cary to be exact) from 1993-2004. In-laws still live there. I have registered for this race twice but haven't been able to make it work because it always fell on my son's last week of school, except for last year but we had a vacation in Hawaii scheduled the same week. Had it been a week later on the calendar each year I would've probably done it every year.

Sad that I will never do it.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Mar 28, 18 13:20
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 is the last year for Ironman 70.3 Raleigh [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been doing triathlons for over 30 and I did not quit doing Raleigh because I was looking for an easy race. I have learned my limitations during that time. Except for one year Raleigh always occurred during our first time of heat. If it was a September race and I had time to acclimate I would have done it again for sure.
While numbers were dropping, if another production company was to put this race on only a 1/10 of the participants would sign up at most.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 is the last year for Ironman 70.3 Raleigh [karstens22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raleigh lost the Raleigh/Cary to Pinehurst route for Tour de Cure last year also. I haven't seen a May date for a USAC Falls Lake road race this year either.

I'm not really a fan of speedway crits, but seems to be plenty of those. And CX stuff in the fall.

I wanted to definitely do the Falls Lake race. I emailed a guy from the speedway series claiming still in the works, not sure I can believe that if they didn't put any placeholder on a calendar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for Raleigh 2018.. It'll be my first 70.3. I'm still excited for it!

Maybe I'll be the only one racing? WOOO!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 is the last year for Ironman 70.3 Raleigh [MikeM126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, I’m signed up too! Also my first 70.3! I’ve grown up in Raleigh and am about to graduate from NC State and move to Durham, so it’ll be a good send off to the city for me. Sad it’s the last one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why has no one asked.....

Will it be wetsuit legal?!?!?

:-)

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply

Prev Next