Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Desert Dude diet was just scientifically proven [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL!!

nickwhite wrote:
Trauma wrote:
Science doesn't prove anything... Science fails to disprove things, which strengthens the possibility that things might be true. So what you're actually saying is that science failed to prove that this diet was not effective, which suggests that it might be effective (in the population that they tested, with the constraints that they imposed...).

Wow, you must be fun at parties.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Desert Dude diet was just scientifically proven [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
So has anyone gotten this to work while doing daily doubles? I train early in the am and late pm and fasting would mean I wouldn't get protein after one of the workouts. Now I know that Desert Dude says you can eat efter a workout, but that ruins the entire point of intermittent fasting. I got some recommendations from people saying you can do only amino acids till lunch, and the break fast from lunch but haven't tried yet. I'm at around 4-5kkcal/day

I do IF. I Do 16-8, with two 18-6 days a week. Depending on the workout day, I will break the fast after a big morning workout. So I might actually do the fast protocol 4-5 days a week.

Again, it depends on the workout. I don't break the fast after swimming and rarely after running. But if I do a brick or multiple hour bike ride, I will eat breakfast after the workout. I will run up to 13 miles w/o breaking the fast.

I only break the fast for recovery and injury prevention, not out of hunger. As for the hunger, I have conditioned myself to accept and not feel the hunger after working out and can make it 5 more hours till lunch time.

Now what does get me are evening workouts. I have a hard time in the evenings even though I have already ate. It's weird, but I have plenty of energy in the morning before eating.

I eat very clean. Lots of veggies, lean protein, like 100 eggs a week, complex carbs, healthy fats. No sugar and no alcohol.
Quote Reply
Re: Desert Dude diet was just scientifically proven [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aren’t you worried about not getting protein after the evening workout? Seems like recovery would be a lot worse which is what I’m worried about.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Desert Dude diet was just scientifically proven [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Science doesn't prove anything.

That's why I quit science and became a mathematician. We prove things all the time.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Desert Dude diet was just scientifically proven [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
Trauma wrote:
Science doesn't prove anything... Science fails to disprove things, which strengthens the possibility that things might be true. So what you're actually saying is that science failed to prove that this diet was not effective, which suggests that it might be effective (in the population that they tested, with the constraints that they imposed...).

Wow, you must be fun at parties.

He's also correct ;)
Bots don't eat ;)
Seriously?
What is the point of this post?
Quote Reply
Re: Desert Dude diet was just scientifically proven [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
It is true for the closed thermodynamic systems. Live humans are - fortunately - not closed systems.

Sure we are, the body itself is a closed system which takes in air and food as fuel for bodily maintenance and work output. All calories taken in must be used somehow and if you don't burn them off, then they become fat. They sure as hell don't just evaporate or get taken away by some as of yet undiscovered bodily process.

Further, one other thought on the "all you need to do is eat healthy" theory, and now this is just "anecdotal", but I know it must have happened to many STers as well as myself. Every single time we have a birthday lunch for someone in my office, which is about once a month or around 120 in past 10 yrs, at least 1 if not 3 or 4 people, who are invariably overweight, will scold me about eating too much of X, Y, and/or Z. When i remark that I swam 4000 m this morning and plan a 30 mi bike/4 mi run after work, they say "well, you still shouldn't be eating that fatty/high sugar food". Of course, as i said, these guys/girls are always overweight if not obese and they never seem to lose any weight, so their "healthy eating" does not seem to be working.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Desert Dude diet was just scientifically proven [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
High-fitness endurance athletes were not used in the study. There really isn't any reason to believe the results apply to humans who already are burning large amounts of calories and who already have a high degree of metabolic fitness. There ARE reasons to believe that these athletes would NOT benefit. There's a squaring of the curve involved in these things....longevity, mortality etc.. The idea is that endurance athletes are already realizing benefits from their exercise and diet habits. There is probably not much more headroom left in the curve to square.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, but you can't skin him twice.

nickwhite wrote:
Quote:
Timing your meals may help with weight loss. That’s what it seems to do in mice.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...8ce41436a_story.html

Quote:

Known as time-restricted feeding, or TRF, the approach is simple: Eat more or less what you want, but don’t consume anything before or after the allotted time.

Quote:

The researchers compared two groups of mice, both of which consumed the same number of calories. One group was limited to an eight-hour window, while the other could eat at any time. After four months, the eight-hour mice weighed 28 percent less than the anytime eaters. “When we saw the results, they were so unexpected,” he says. “Even I didn’t believe it.”

Pretty interesting stuff. For those wondering what the Desert Dude diet is, it can be found here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=1192024#p1192024
Last edited by: DJFaithful: Mar 28, 18 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: Desert Dude diet was just scientifically proven [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diet shmiet. This article gives me the impression that to lose weight I should consider:
a) not breathing

or consider raising my metabolic rate by:
b) spending the day trying on all my clothes
c) cooking
d) vacuuming
e) sweeping

cnn.com/2018/03/26/health/lose-weight-where-does-it-go-partner

For extra metabolic rate credit, should I also do my hair and nails?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Desert Dude diet was just scientifically proven [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
Can someone explain how you do an intermittent fast(8 hr eating window) while training for an Ironman? I train in the morning at 5am with just coffee preworkout. If I eat from 7am-3pm, then I am starving by bedtime. I've also tried eating only from 11am-7pm, but I am starving after my morning workout. If I am not training, then 11am-7pm works fine.

You do it by telling yourself "I can't wait to eat breakfast" and that comes sooner if you fall asleep and forget the hunger.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Desert Dude diet was just scientifically proven [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
High-fitness endurance athletes were not used in the study. There really isn't any reason to believe the results apply to humans who already are burning large amounts of calories and who already have a high degree of metabolic fitness. There ARE reasons to believe that these athletes would NOT benefit. There's a squaring of the curve involved in these things....longevity, mortality etc.. The idea is that endurance athletes are already realizing benefits from their exercise and diet habits. There is probably not much more headroom left in the curve to square.

Great points, the concept of "metabolic fitness" is not very often discussed but should be. When i think of metabolic fitness, i think of a very efficient metabolism wherein the food taken in is metabolized quite quickly. Further, high metabolic fitness results in a high resting metabolic rate when measured on a per pound basis.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Desert Dude diet was just scientifically proven [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:

I'm not sure what "squaring the curve" means. Google didn't help much. Like a sudden drop off in effectiveness of the time-of-day method as a function of fitness? I'd speculate that it'd be more gradual, with the law of diminishing returns being an appropriate model.

But if that's the case, your theory works both ways. High-fitness endurance athletes tend to have much more constrained body mass issues to deal with. Getting into race-day form from the off-season might be 1-2kg. So there may not be much more headroom left, but they also don't need as much headroom. Highly fit athletes could plausibly benefit from the marginal effects of time-of-day variation in metabolic efficiency and hormone levels, etc.

Maybe they don't, but I don't think you can just hand-wave it away without some sort of actual evidence.
Quote Reply
Re: Desert Dude diet was just scientifically proven [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
Can someone explain how you do an intermittent fast(8 hr eating window) while training for an Ironman? I train in the morning at 5am with just coffee preworkout. If I eat from 7am-3pm, then I am starving by bedtime. I've also tried eating only from 11am-7pm, but I am starving after my morning workout. If I am not training, then 11am-7pm works fine.

jdais, I'm not sure exactly when your night workout ends, so it might not fit into the 8 hour fasting window before you get up, but....

I found that taking a protein supplement before sleeping has really helped my body maintain 20 hour training weeks, continued improved speed in triathlon (4:28HIM, 9:55IM) at 44 years of age, and get a good sleep and feel great. I'm 180cm, 75kg, will range 75-77 in training, 74-75kg race day. My body loves to get fat easily, probably because 7 years ago I was 105kg. I used 32Gi Recover, which is 2.6/1 carb/protein. I like it because it tastes great, vegan protein source (I'm not vegetarian, but avoid whey protein when I can.) This has really worked for me in terms of regulating my blood sugar for training the next day and suppressing the hormones that make me feel hungry.
Quote Reply
Re: Desert Dude diet was just scientifically proven [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I'm not sure what "squaring the curve" means. Google didn't help much.

Sounds like something the fucking engineers I work with would say, just to sound smarter than us finance assholes

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next