Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are CeeGee's slow? [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
If you're worried about the drag coefficient of your pads, then you better be winning races or getting edged out by seconds :).

Few watts on the FTP, Few watts from CDA, Few watts from Rolling Resistance.

Rinse/repeat ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Are CeeGee's slow? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
If I have learned anything from these sessions it is that getting narrower tended to be the best option. It tends to be physically easier and results in more substantial drag reductions,...for me at least.

Thanks for the pointer, any bias between narrow at the shoulder vs elbows?
Quote Reply
Re: Are CeeGee's slow? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
...For me adding stack made me faster, whether that was pads, body or whatever who knows....

This is very interesting. Do you think you got faster from adding armrest height because of easier breathing, leading to better power output?

And if so, at what point does the height increase break over from a power output enhancer to an aerodynamic drag increaser?

I've been messing around with my armrest height and wondering about this the whole time. Added 30mm for a month, was breathing easier and putting out good power, now just took out 20mm to get a little flatter and monitoring power to see what happens.

I can say this. I saw John Cobb the day after Ironman Texas 70.3 for a fit many moons ago. John was brutally honest with me upfront and said he would never slam me. While it might be fast it would't be sustainable and it was clear to him that I need to be more upright as that is how I generate a lot of power. As John said, "I need you rockin' and rollin'". Nearly everyone else always tries to get me lower but they don't really understand that I am 5 feet 8 with a 33.63 inseam and some other restrictions like a severely tight upper thoracic spine which I use (with the supporting muscles) to stabilize and use almost like a second core and that really limits me as well.

At the end of the day it is up to the athlete to find the right balance of aero/comfort etc. For longer distance triathletes I like to err on the side of caution - it just isn't worth it. For one, I just don't believe aero dynamics are as import as there are so many people on the course anyway the equation tilts back to rolling resistance and power for most athletes. For any age-grouper at the front, all alone, my opinion would definitely change. But secondly, I like an upward slopping torso that allows fluids/foods to stay in the bottom of the stomach. And many athletes end up spending a significant amount of time out of the aerobars. Every second they are out of the aerobars because of comfort they would be much better off with higher bars. But this is why I say it is up the athlete. The best thing is practice and being consciously aware of how you are riding, your power, your digestion, and the sustainability of the position. Then to think about it in your racing and adjust along the way. It is an subtle evolution that should happen. Sometimes you might take two steps forward then one step back.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Are CeeGee's slow? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Super D wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
...For me adding stack made me faster, whether that was pads, body or whatever who knows....

This is very interesting. Do you think you got faster from adding armrest height because of easier breathing, leading to better power output?

And if so, at what point does the height increase break over from a power output enhancer to an aerodynamic drag increaser?

I've been messing around with my armrest height and wondering about this the whole time. Added 30mm for a month, was breathing easier and putting out good power, now just took out 20mm to get a little flatter and monitoring power to see what happens.

I can say this. I saw John Cobb the day after Ironman Texas 70.3 for a fit many moons ago. John was brutally honest with me upfront and said he would never slam me. While it might be fast it would't be sustainable and it was clear to him that I need to be more upright as that is how I generate a lot of power. As John said, "I need you rockin' and rollin'". Nearly everyone else always tries to get me lower but they don't really understand that I am 5 feet 8 with a 33.63 inseam and some other restrictions like a severely tight upper thoracic spine which I use (with the supporting muscles) to stabilize and use almost like a second core and that really limits me as well.

At the end of the day it is up to the athlete to find the right balance of aero/comfort etc. For longer distance triathletes I like to err on the side of caution - it just isn't worth it. For one, I just don't believe aero dynamics are as import as there are so many people on the course anyway the equation tilts back to rolling resistance and power for most athletes. For any age-grouper at the front, all alone, my opinion would definitely change. But secondly, I like an upward slopping torso that allows fluids/foods to stay in the bottom of the stomach. And many athletes end up spending a significant amount of time out of the aerobars. Every second they are out of the aerobars because of comfort they would be much better off with higher bars. But this is why I say it is up the athlete. The best thing is practice and being consciously aware of how you are riding, your power, your digestion, and the sustainability of the position. Then to think about it in your racing and adjust along the way. It is an subtle evolution that should happen. Sometimes you might take two steps forward then one step back.

Thank you, great thoughts about...what to think about!

I'm now starting to understand better how TT fit relates to certain factors, and Tri fit includes a host of other factors to be considered and accommodated.
Quote Reply
Re: Are CeeGee's slow? [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To answer the basic question being asked - I had several top bike splits last season while using Ceegee's, so I don't feel they slowed me down. Maybe I could be a tad bit quicker with less tall pads, but I think there are a lot of other things to worry about other than the thickness of pads, especially once we're talking of a rider on the bike.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Are CeeGee's slow? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this post an April Fools joke?
Quote Reply
Re: Are CeeGee's slow? [Jezza78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jezza78 wrote:
Is this post an April Fools joke?