Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pilgrimman vs Firmman
Quote | Reply
Looking at doing either Pilgrimman or Firmman. Anyone done both? How do they compare? Swag? Food? Advance.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Pilgrimman vs Firmman [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Looking at doing either Pilgrimman or Firmman. Anyone done both? How do they compare? Swag? Food? Advance.

I've never done either and hadn't even heard of Pilgrimman, but Firm triathlons in general are low/no frill events. There's also a half ironman on Martha's Vineyard about that same time of year, I was considering that one.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last FIRMMan was in the previous century so I can't provide any recent comments. It's definitely a low-key race as are all FIRM races. SWAG is minimal for their shorter races so I wouldn't expect much. Maybe others can provide more recent feedback.

The FIRM races have gone downhill recently. I was surprised they put any races on this year (their schedule was definitely late).

Are you interested in a September HIM distance race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did FirmMan in 2013 and last year. In ‘13 there were 240 people in the half, last year the half had only 85 people. They also have a duathlon and a sprint (I think) so it looks like more people than that but definitely small and apparently getting smaller.

That said, I like the race just fine. I like ocean swims even though I suck at swimming. The bike is relatively fast though it depends on what the wind is doing along route 1. The run has a few out and backs so you can see and keep track of where you’re at . Post race food was good, not much swag though.

I haven’t done Pilgrimman but I have done Pumpkinman which is around the same time and a pretty popular race. Though in truth I’d just as soon do Firmman again since it’s closer to me and I think the run is nicer.
Quote Reply
Re: Pilgrimman vs Firmman [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
My last FIRMMan was in the previous century so I can't provide any recent comments. It's definitely a low-key race as are all FIRM races. SWAG is minimal for their shorter races so I wouldn't expect much. Maybe others can provide more recent feedback.

The FIRM races have gone downhill recently. I was surprised they put any races on this year (their schedule was definitely late).

Are you interested in a September HIM distance race?

Yep, looking for a half this year. Kind of looking for value since my girlfriend convinced me to rule out IMLV until next year, but still would like a damn fine race. Being a Massachusetts triathlete I’m all too familiar with the downward movement of Firm. Last few years it’s been a source of minor annoyance to thaw out later and later every year to pay seemingly an annual price increase, and then get handed a cotton T. The socks were cool for a while though.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer - read this as Finman and was excited to see what crazy stuff Pilgrimman had done to earn the nickname...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

If you're looking for a September New England half, I highly recommend Pumpkinman in Maine. Fun race, well organized, great vibe. In my opinion Firm races don't meet the standard set by other New England race organizers such as Sun Multisport and Maxperformance, but if you want a low key race I suppose it would OK. My wife did Pilgrimman a couple of years ago, and while the organizers seemed well intentioned, I'd have to say I wouldn't particularly recommend the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Pilgrimman vs Firmman [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

If you're looking for a September New England half, I highly recommend Pumpkinman in Maine. Fun race, well organized, great vibe. In my opinion Firm races don't meet the standard set by other New England race organizers such as Sun Multisport and Maxperformance, but if you want a low key race I suppose it would OK. My wife did Pilgrimman a couple of years ago, and while the organizers seemed well intentioned, I'd have to say I wouldn't particularly recommend the race.

So the weekend of Sep 8-9 there is FirmMan, Martha's Vineyard Half, Pumpkinman Half, SOS, and IMLP 70.3. Obviously the last two are a little more national or regional than local to Mass, but either way seems like there might be too many options that weekend.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Pilgrimman vs Firmman [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the Maine double that weekend: Lobsterman Oly on Saturday and Pumpkinman Half on Sunday. Good opportunity to support independent races at their best.
Quote Reply
Re: Pilgrimman vs Firmman [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
Do the Maine double that weekend: Lobsterman Oly on Saturday and Pumpkinman Half on Sunday. Good opportunity to support independent races at their best.

And Lobsterman? I didn't look, just assumed Pumpkinman and Lobsterman steered clear of each other. There's going to be nobody at these races, because they'll all be racing elsewhere!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Pilgrimman, FIRMman, and Vineyard Half.

They are all fairly small Half-Iron Distance Races.

Having done all three, I like the course for the Vineyard Half the best, and that's why I'm doing it again this year.

Pilgrimman is 4 loops on the Bike and Run, all inside Myles Standish, so it's a little repetitive, and the vehicle traffic going through the park makes it hard to navigate lap traffic.

FIRMman has a nice swim venue being at Narragansett Beach, and the run finishes on the beach as well.

Vineyard Half is another beach swim, you bike the entire Island, and have a pretty nice rolling run course too.

I swim fast because I'm afraid of sharks.
Quote Reply
Re: Pilgrimman vs Firmman [Mike200fly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike200fly wrote:
Vineyard Half is another beach swim, you bike the entire Island, and have a pretty nice rolling run course too.

Is the swim on the beach where they filmed Jaws?

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Pilgrimman vs Firmman [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
Mike200fly wrote:

Is the swim on the beach where they filmed Jaws?

Yes

I swim fast because I'm afraid of sharks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you from? Im going to race Firmman because Im a RI guy and theres nothing better than rolling out of your own bed and having a race in your backyard. That being said, the race production has suffered in recent years as participants number have dwindled -- they struggle to get enough volunteers as well. I feel somewhat of an obligation to support it.

Pilgrimman has far better race organization, "swag," etc, but the course is 4 loops in each discipline (bike is 48.8 miles). This isnt terrible, but can be somewhat congested.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Pilgrimman vs Firmman [JPDMD25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering Firmman as I have good friends who live in North Kingstown, so logistics are simple. Wondering how the course compares to Patriot or Pumpkinman if you have done either? I've heard very mixed reviews about Pilgrimmnan, and Pumpkinman is pricey.
Quote Reply
Re: Pilgrimman vs Firmman [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Firmman run is more difficult than Patriot and the bike is about the same (with Firmman being a single loop...climbing or lack thereof is equivalent for both). The Firmman swim can be more challenging if the surf is kicking.

Overall, I like the Firmman course (swim and run) better than Patriot, but Sun Multisport Events have awesome production.
Quote Reply
Re: Pilgrimman vs Firmman [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:

Or come to Pumpkinman and do the Great Pumpkin Challenge - sprint Saturday, half Sunday. No, a sprint is not an oly, but you also don't have to swim in the ocean, you can stay in one place, and the food is damn tasty. Of course, I'm biased - I'm a Pumpkinman ambassador. (PM me for a discount code!) But I wouldn't be an ambassador if I didn't believe in the race and the athlete experience.

I have raced the Pilgrimman; albeit the sprint. I absolutely love the location; Myles Standish is just a nice place to race. Especially since they repaved the park roads not very long ago. What I have heard in the years subsequent is the concern of too many athletes on a looping course, now that all three races are going out on the same day. The half swim is 4 laps of the swim course, the oly is 3 on the same course and the sprint 1 lap. Same with the bike - 4 laps/2 laps/1 lap - and the run - also 4/2/1 laps. That's going to mean a lot of traffic. Personally, lots of small loops is not my idea of fun for a long-course event, but if you're taking spectators, it could be an advantage I suppose.
Quote Reply