Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Saddle Question (kinda noobish)
Quote | Reply

Preface: This is regarding a Fizik Mystica angled about 1.5* nose down. Also, this is the 4th tri saddle I've used but to be fair, I've never ridden/trained as much as I have this year (so not sure if experience has anything to do with previous decisions on older saddles).

Ok, so I'm not sure if its just the saddle design or if I'm not sitting on it properly - but I cant seem to find a happy medium when looking for a sitting location on the saddle itself. Its either:

a) I sit towards the nose and after 20 mins start getting numbness down there (contact point is on the perenial area)

b) I sit more towards the back where i can feel my sit bones making contact with the saddle, but on the down "push" part of the pedal stroke i can feel the back of my leg (read section of the hamstring that connects with the glute) kinda pinch against the saddle edges.

Any ideas/theories/fixes ST would like to throw in?

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Saddle Question (kinda noobish) [CBass@3toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are lots of posts on saddles on this forum. I gather the consensus is that each person has to find the saddle (and the position for that saddle) that is right for him/her. From your description, you might want to try a go at a noseless saddle (e.g., ISM) which tends to eliminate the numbness issue caused by sitting too far forward (no perenial area pressure from sitting forward because there is no nose up front). Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Saddle Question (kinda noobish) [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
There are lots of posts on saddles on this forum. I gather the consensus is that each person has to find the saddle (and the position for that saddle) that is right for him/her. From your description, you might want to try a go at a noseless saddle (e.g., ISM) which tends to eliminate the numbness issue caused by sitting too far forward (no perenial area pressure from sitting forward because there is no nose up front). Good luck.

If you look at the Fizik Mystica that I'm using you'll see that there It doesn't have a nose and has a channel to avoid pressure in that area. Which is why I'm asking

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CBass@3toronto wrote:
hugoagogo wrote:

If you look at the Fizik Mystica that I'm using you'll see that there It doesn't have a nose and has a channel to avoid pressure in that area. Which is why I'm asking

It sounds like the Mystica is too narrow for your sit bones, and so you're sitting on soft tissue. The standard Mystica is 55mm wide at the nose, they make a wider 65mm version that may work better for you. ISM and Dash (to name just two) make a number of "off the front" saddles that are wider than 55mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the channel to not be pressuring you the ridges either side need to be supporting you. You can search the forum and find better descriptions than I can give of the part of the pelvis that should be making contact with the ridges. One possibility is the saddle is too narrow for you and so those parts of the pelvis fall either side of the saddle ridges. But you are in the best position to figure that out. Once you know which part of the body that is you should be able to feel it. They do 2 versions of that saddle. One is 55mm wide at the nose and the other is 65mm wide. So then you should be able to figure out if, for example, you have the 55mm and it's too narrow, then maybe the 65mm is worth a go.

But basically figure out if the right part of your pelvis is in contact with the ridges and then go from there.

edit - what vjohn said
Last edited by: OddSlug: Mar 26, 18 15:08
Quote Reply