Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "a raging river in a much larger doping ecosystem" [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
The thing that is confusing to me in this article is the apparent lumping together of all peptides. My understanding is that peptides and proteins are the same thing (strings of amino acids) but with peptides having strings of less than 100 and proteins of 100 or more. I am guessing there must be thousands of different peptides in the food we eat all the time. So there are only a subset of peptides that would be considered PEDs. I think some (or all) hormones are peptides -- is that correct? Can someone that understands this straighten me out?

Good point. I did some Google-fu, and you're right. It's a huge catch-all. It seems that HGH and some forms of EPO are actually "peptide" hormones. So some specific peptide structures have specific effects in the body. I guess the guy in the article markets some of them as "designer peptides" that do specific things. It seems like a lot of it is just marketing shtick. He could be synthesizing any kind of hormone.
Quote Reply
Re: "a raging river in a much larger doping ecosystem" [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That's some weird sophistry. We don't "demand super human feats". It's the nature of sport that competitors wish to win, and the dope works. That's about it.[/quote]

Sure we do. The faster someone rides or runs, the higher they jump, the more endurance they have, the more records that they break the more interest we collectively have in them and the more adulation they receive.
Last edited by: Daydreamer: Mar 27, 18 20:35
Quote Reply
Re: "a raging river in a much larger doping ecosystem" [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
If USADA has really exhausted all their options to hold people accountable, they should just publish the whole list and let the athletic communities shun those athletes.

I agree with this

I can imagine there would be some sort of privacy or liability issue with doing this. However, it would seem that USAT, USA Cycling, NCAA, could have a clause in your license stating you waive any right to privacy if your name and address appears amongst the list of transactions. No sane person would conclude that this business could have possibly had ANY legitimate clients (I.e., researchers who would be using these peptides for non-human use).
Quote Reply
Re: "a raging river in a much larger doping ecosystem" [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I would love it if some hacker got that list and put it up somewhere. And it seems from the article that it was primarily sprint and power sports, at least what they mentioned. Football, Track, weight lifting, etc. Somewhat encouraged that not one mention of an individual endurance sport was flagged, at least something kind of positive I guess.

They probably don't mention endurance sports because they do not believe that anyone cares.

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
And we care about these:

discus throwers to sprinters to pole-vaulters to weight lifters to wrestlers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
And we care about these:

discus throwers to sprinters to pole-vaulters to weight lifters to wrestlers.

Not me...but then again, I do a very niche sport called triathlon...come on, I sure you remember it....You used to be pretty good ;^)

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Actually tylenol will kill you over a week or two of liver failure. And it would be a miserable way to die. Fortunately I have yet to see it happen in a patient. I guess my point is if there is some peptide in the bottle I'm not worried about my health but what if there is something else harmful in there. I had a patient on ventilator for over a week last year after smoking dope and they never did figure out what it was contaminated with.

Your patient on a ventilator after smoking dope sounds like fentanyl? Lots of overdoses in Vancouver, Canada from that. Labs lacing drugs with fentanyl and not cleaning up after. Then processing marijuana on the same surface and cross-contaminating ...

For me, that's the case for legalising/regulating drugs right there. Quality control, gets rid of the contaminants that cause all the ODs, cuts out the criminal black market, increase tax revenue, makes the issue one of public health rather than emergency services / courts/ jails

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Quote Reply
Re: "a raging river in a much larger doping ecosystem" [nbrowne1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nbrowne1 wrote:

For me, that's the case for legalising/regulating drugs right there. Quality control, gets rid of the contaminants that cause all the ODs, cuts out the criminal black market, increase tax revenue, makes the issue one of public health rather than emergency services / courts/ jails

Some of the ODs. Maybe most. But it's my understanding that plenty of the damage is caused by straight FDA-approved drugs, often legally acquired. Or "legally". Like crushed up OxyContin.

And to that point, opiates are legal and regulated. And there's still a black market. Because fentanyl from China or whatever will always undercut the price of the legal version.

And if you mean "legal" like making opiates off-the-shelf - I'm not Jeff Sessions, but that's straight nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: "a raging river in a much larger doping ecosystem" [Daydreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daydreamer wrote:

rruff wrote:
That's some weird sophistry. We don't "demand super human feats". It's the nature of sport that competitors wish to win, and the dope works. That's about it.

Sure we do. The faster someone rides or runs, the higher they jump, the more endurance they have, the more records that they break the more interest we collectively have in them and the more adulation they receive.

Sure we don't.

It's all about the word "demand". We are all interested in great performances. No one "demands" them. That's a cop-out. It's a backhanded an attempt to shift the blame from person doing the drugs to the fans.
Last edited by: JoeO: Mar 29, 18 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
at least something kind of positive I guess.
No, no! Don't say 'positive'! Try maybe, 'at least that's encouraging...'

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next