Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Flat earth rocketeer lives to tell about it [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Just stating the criteria to receive a Darwin Award.

Incorrectly stating the criteria.

From darwinawards.com:

The Actual Rules wrote:

And finally, the child who inherits an unlucky gene will have his own shot at notoriety one day. So the rules do not disqualify nominees who have already reproduced.

Emphasis mine.
Yeah, but it’s more disappointing to know that they have.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat earth rocketeer lives to tell about it [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
Culley22 wrote:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. A “homemade steam powered rocket on a shoestring budget”...what could go wrong?

You forgot, the rocket was built using math and science that he was trying to prove was wrong...

Yeah, the only question with him was when, not if, he would die in a stupid way.

And how long he knew it was coming. The whole flight was about 20 seconds long. I wonder if he knew the parachute had deployed at take off or if he found out something was wrong when he went to deploy it. Then about 10 seconds as he nose dived into the earth.

No kidding. That's what went through my mind as well--wondering if he even knew the chute failed. Either way, just one of the many things that could have led to a fatal accident. That chute needed to be 100% fail-proof and it obviously wasn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat earth rocketeer lives to tell about it [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The article says he had back up parachutes that never deployed -- maybe he was unconscious? -- and that the flat earth stuff was a PR stunt. That being said, he built a homemade rocket to get up to 5,000 feet. Other than as a lamebrained daredevil stunt, it was a completely pointless enterprise.

I guess it was better than taking a bunch of pills and dying in your own bathtub.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat earth rocketeer lives to tell about it [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
I guess it was better than taking a bunch of pills and dying in your own bathtub.

Quote Reply
Re: Flat earth rocketeer lives to tell about it [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Hughes was local, and his reputation was well known in many circles here..

Not only was he a flat-earther, he also claimed to be a sovereign citizen. In his mind, however, this meant that while he was not subject to any jurisdiction, he was still free to use the legal system to frivolously harass anyone for any perceived slight, real or imagined. I'm not sure if he had ever been declared a vexatious litigant, be he was as close to one as one could be.

Still, it's sad to see something like this happen. As odd as he may have been, I think the world benefits from unique individuals like him, even though I would never characterize his form of uniqueness as harmless.

Still, the Science Channel should be ashamed of giving him a platform. In a way, I believe they share some responsibility for his death.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
The article says he had back up parachutes that never deployed -- maybe he was unconscious? -- and that the flat earth stuff was a PR stunt. That being said, he built a homemade rocket to get up to 5,000 feet. Other than as a lamebrained daredevil stunt, it was a completely pointless enterprise.

When the parachute deployed the deviation of the rocket didn't look very severe, but I have know idea what kind of forces are going through the guy when something is accelerating that fast or what kind of safety gear he had. I guess both lucky and unlucky if it knocked him out.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat earth rocketeer lives to tell about it [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Mike Hughes was local, and his reputation was well known in many circles here.

you are local to apple valley? i was just there yesterday.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not local to Apple Valley, but I have work up there every so often. I live down the hill.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat earth rocketeer lives to tell about it [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Not local to Apple Valley, but I have work up there every so often. I live down the hill.

ah. man. i was hoping for a neighbor.

guys like this one are quite common up our way. when i first moved here, 18 years ago, i decided i wanted to run a particular loop. but it went thru this one guy's property, he lived in a delapidated, not close being permitted or in the grid, unfinished shack/house, all sorts of skull & crossbones, crossed rifles, signs and warnings, barbed wire, you'll die if you cross this line.

so i ran into his compound, he walked out of his house, guy who lived there alone, i signaled i wanted to come up, he waived me in, i told him what my purpose was, intent to run across his property, he invited me inside, we talked for awhile. he was an economic professor at cal state northridge. he erected all that stuff to scare people off. including his meth lab neighbors a mile or two away, whom he didn't much like.

he was a regular guy, but, then you have to ask yourself who lives like that. we have a lot of people like that around where i live. most are not notorious. but most are very handy, like the rocketeer obviously was. where i live, my neighbors, it gives you a bit of a look back at what it might have been like to live when this whole area was homesteaded a century and more ago. it's a sociological - and manskills - experience living in a place like this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
and that the flat earth stuff was a PR stunt...

has to be a troll, it's just not understandable any other way. Moon landings or JFK maybe, but not a flat Earth.

Last night my 7yo son and I drew a diagram of the Sun and the Earth's orbit so I could explain seasons and why it's getting lighter later. After that we walked the dog and he saw Venus to the west. He came back in and correctly placed Venus on its orbit in relation to Earth based on what he saw outside. I had to check it on a website. He's just an average kid, it was intuitive I guess.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

guys like this one are quite common up our way. when i first moved here, 18 years ago
Apple Valley! Ms. Tostig and I lived there for about six months when George AFB was still active. That was about 40 years ago, so things may have changed, but we thought it was a great place.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re: locals living in the high desert. Long ago, fresh out of college with wifer and newborn son, we moved to one bock from downtown Apple Valley for my first teaching job at Apple Valley Junior High. Our neighbor, had a great big hydraulic press in his garage. He would go down to Roy Roger's place across the highway from the Apple Valley Inn and he would collect "used alfalfa" from Trigger the horse. He would process the used shit, put it in his press, make salad bowls out of it, and sell them at the Inn for 5 buck each. . Ah, yes, Apple Valley, what a place.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat earth rocketeer lives to tell about it [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Used Alfalfa" I literally lol'd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General flat earth question:

Do FES people think that all the other planets are also flat?

Or are they spheres?

Or are they round plates like earth that are all perfectly perpendicular with earth so that they look like spheres?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Flat earth rocketeer lives to tell about it [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Slowman wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

guys like this one are quite common up our way. when i first moved here, 18 years ago
Apple Valley! Ms. Tostig and I lived there for about six months when George AFB was still active. That was about 40 years ago, so things may have changed, but we thought it was a great place.

It’s the Beverly Hills of the High Desert.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat earth rocketeer lives to tell about it [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next