Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anybody go to March for Our Lives today? [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
Well crap. I saw your politico poll and thought the same thing as the CNN poll...fake news...SAD. Then I googled the conservative equivalent of politico/cnn, fauxnews, for a "fox news gun poll".

Turns out I was wrong and you were right. Similar results.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/25/fox-news-poll-voters-favor-gun-measures-doubt-congress-will-act.html

This is quite surprising to me (the results, not that I was wrong)

Um, this is the LR and "I was wrong" is not allowed. ;-)

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go to March for Our Lives today? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
stal wrote:
Well crap. I saw your politico poll and thought the same thing as the CNN poll...fake news...SAD. Then I googled the conservative equivalent of politico/cnn, fauxnews, for a "fox news gun poll".

Turns out I was wrong and you were right. Similar results.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/25/fox-news-poll-voters-favor-gun-measures-doubt-congress-will-act.html

This is quite surprising to me (the results, not that I was wrong)

Um, this is the LR and "I was wrong" is not allowed. ;-)

NEVER show weakness.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go to March for Our Lives today? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BarryP wrote:
You win. There are no safety regulations for cars and you can drive anything you want on the road.

Glad we had this discussion.

Certainly you understand the difference between regulating which cars can be driven on public roads, and regulating which guns are legal or illegal to own.

And certainly you can see the similarities.

I love how much this place hates an analogy. If I had an Oprah style list of my favorite things it would certainly be on it.

Wow. I was in a legitimate and meaningful discussion with Barry about this point (among others). He had used the term "scary looking." I asked for an example, because I cannot think of one. He gave me the example of removing the (legally required) bumper and installing spikes. I said that was not a good analogy and replied with the "scary looking" HMMV designed "for war."

He then responded like a bitch, rather than continuing the discussion. That's on him. Not me. Not slowguy.

His analogy - removing the bumper and installing spikes - is akin to removing the hammer from a semi-auto AR and installing a full auto sear. It's an illegal modification, not a banning of a specific type or category of vehicles.

You know damn good and well his was a shitty analogy and get the fuck off my front lawn!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Mar 29, 18 12:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BarryP wrote:
You win. There are no safety regulations for cars and you can drive anything you want on the road.

Certainly you understand the difference between regulating which cars can be driven on public roads, and regulating which guns are legal or illegal to own.

I love how much this place hates an analogy. If I had an Oprah style list of my favorite things it would certainly be on it.

Of course there are vague similarities. But there are not enough similarities to create a meaningful analogy that would be useful in a gun control discussion.

There are not cars that are illegal to own because they look scary.
There are not, that I'm aware of, vehicles that are illegal to own because they are dangerous.
Car ownership is not a specifically protected right under the Constitution.
The ability to legally operate a care on a public road is not the same as the right to OWN a car.

The differences between Barry's car example and the issue of gun control proposals are extensive in both quality and quantity, such that the analogy is simply not a useful one.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go to March for Our Lives today? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Wow. I was in a legitimate and meaningful discussion with Barry about this point (among others). He had used the term "scary looking." I asked for an example, because I cannot think of one. He gave me the example of removing the (legally required) bumper and installing spikes. I said that was not a good analogy and replied with the "scary looking" HMMV designed "for war."

He then responded like a bitch, rather than continuing the discussion. That's on him. Not me. Not slowguy.

His analogy - removing the bumper and installing spikes - is akin to removing the hammer from a semi-auto AR and installing a full auto sear. It's an illegal modification, not a banning of a specific type or category of vehicles.

You know damn good and well his was a shitty analogy and get the fuck off my front lawn!

You forgot the 'just wow'.

I cannot think of a single analogy that this place has been able to understand. It is always so fun.And it never fails to make me laugh.

It is like watching my dog try to figure out his reflection.

It is this dog trying to figure out how to play with this ball:

No matter how many times he fails, he is still funny.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Mar 29, 18 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go to March for Our Lives today? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
Some people think there should be restrictions on firearms.

Others think teachers need to carry guns.

One of these thoughts makes sense (depending on which side you are on).

I'm pretty sure reality isn't limited to only those two options.
These are two options that were presented after, as you said,

"So, because some parents and kids are grieving, we should should ignore the facts and humor the false narrative that kids are in constant danger of imminent school death?"

One of these options makes sense. Other options are also worth pursuing. But one of these two options, while having support among certain groups, is a bad idea.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go to March for Our Lives today? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Ban on Semi-Automatic Rifles
The semi-automatic rifle was the kind of rifle used in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, as well as the mass shooting in Las Vegas in October. Fifty-three percent of respondents agreed that all semi-automatic rifle sales should be banned. On Wednesday, Dick's Sporting Goods nodded to that trending sentiment and announced that it was going to halt the sales of military-style semi-automatic rifles in all of its stores.

Aren't virtually all rifles semi-automatic these days?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

I cannot think of a single analogy that this place has been able to understand. It is always so fun.And it never fails to make me laugh.

From Barry? I agree. I have said this many times. In the history of the LR, Barry has never been able to come up with a coherent, logical analogy. Ever.

But, I tried to throw him a bone. He wanted to talk "scary vehicles." So, I stuck with it. I used the "scary" and "built for war" HMMV, which is an appropriate analogy. He used the asinine example of removing a bumper and installing spikes. In the end, I stuck with his vehicle analogy and used it to rebut the point he was trying to make. But, I certainly did not lack any understanding of the analogy.

So, there you go - there is a time where the analogy has been understood.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go to March for Our Lives today? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
Some people think there should be restrictions on firearms.

Others think teachers need to carry guns.

One of these thoughts makes sense (depending on which side you are on).

I'm pretty sure reality isn't limited to only those two options.

These are two options that were presented after, as you said,

"So, because some parents and kids are grieving, we should should ignore the facts and humor the false narrative that kids are in constant danger of imminent school death?"

One of these options makes sense. Other options are also worth pursuing. But one of these two options, while having support among certain groups, is a bad idea.

Ok whatever. I've expressed my objections to arming teachers previously. As far as I can tell, you're just rambling about tangential nonsense.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go to March for Our Lives today? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
sphere wrote:

Ban on Semi-Automatic Rifles
The semi-automatic rifle was the kind of rifle used in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, as well as the mass shooting in Las Vegas in October. Fifty-three percent of respondents agreed that all semi-automatic rifle sales should be banned. On Wednesday, Dick's Sporting Goods nodded to that trending sentiment and announced that it was going to halt the sales of military-style semi-automatic rifles in all of its stores.

Aren't virtually all rifles semi-automatic these days?

Most shotguns are not semi-auto. There are a shit-ton of bolt action rifles. Many hunting rifles are bolt action. Then, there are a few break action rifles.

When used in that survey, "semi-auto" means "AR."

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go to March for Our Lives today? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:

From Barry? I agree. I have said this many times. In the history of the LR, Barry has never been able to come up with a coherent, logical analogy. Ever.

But, I tried to throw him a bone. He wanted to talk "scary vehicles." So, I stuck with it. I used the "scary" and "built for war" HMMV, which is an appropriate analogy. He used the asinine example of removing a bumper and installing spikes. In the end, I stuck with his vehicle analogy and used it to rebut the point he was trying to make. But, I certainly did not lack any understanding of the analogy.

Hummers are nothing like guns. You can't even shoot them.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

If it is done right and for long enough - you do shoot at the end, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:

Well, if there is no shot at the end, then you need to work on your technique.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go to March for Our Lives today? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I missed the point of your argument with all the with all the hyperbole and generaliazations that were wrapped around it. Maybe I don’t disagree with everything you said and only commented on that which I found ridiculous. Consider that possibility.

I don’t disagree that some conservatives have taken up poor positions with regard to this discussion. I’m not sure I can get my head around any justification for an adult to belittle or insult a child, even if that child is saying things thye disagree with. Certainly Ingram is dead wrong in how she handled Hogg. It seems to me that any adult addressing a child in the way that some have chosen to only serves to empower the child’s position. Clearly that’s not strategically smart.

So to your point, do I think that some of things that some “hard core conservatives” are disingenuous or spiteful or wrong? Absolutely. Does that mean that that all conservatives are used car salesmen and everything they is a lie? No. No more at least than any other politician and that was my point and the point I was addressing.

Perhaps if you expressed yourself with a bit more a moderate tone, your point could be understood. Instead you seem to come across as someone who’s not open to discussion but rather rant in hyperbole and generalizations.

But we already knew that.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go to March for Our Lives today? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

I don’t disagree that some conservatives have taken up poor positions with regard to this discussion. I’m not sure I can get my head around any justification for an adult to belittle or insult a child, even if that child is saying things thye disagree with. Certainly Ingram is dead wrong in how she handled Hogg. It seems to me that any adult addressing a child in the way that some have chosen to only serves to empower the child’s position. Clearly that’s not strategically smart.

I have already expressed my disgust with Ingraham's tweet, so I am not defending her conduct. But, David Hogg was born in 2000 and, by most reports, is 18 years old. He is old enough to grab a rifle and be sent off to some foreign land to fight and potentially die for his country. So, let us please stop the narrative that this is some poor defenseless little kid or "a child."

Quote Reply

Prev Next