Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Traveling Fisherman of the Lavender Room...
Quote | Reply
What's your go to case/tackle checked bag for your rods & tackle?
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling Fisherman of the Lavender Room... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your rods of choice?
Mine is fly-fishing and I dig the fish pond cases.
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling Fisherman of the Lavender Room... [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surf rods, so it's a bit more complicated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhhhhhhh. Let me ask rideandfish. I surf fish but my travel with those rods doesn't involve air travel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Surf rods, so it's a bit more complicated.

Just christened my first surf rod on the Oregon coast over a few days last week. Had a blast (new to surf fishing).

Where are you off to?

To keep on point- have not flown with mine yet but was thinking that down the road a diy pvc tube setup should do the trick.
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling Fisherman of the Lavender Room... [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually just returned from Kona. I have a Rapala Baja 11 1/2' which I can and have carried on but I wouldn't mind getting a decent rod / tackle box instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many rods, reels and assorted tackle do you "usually" travel with?
My husband does a lot of fishing travel, and has a several different setups depending on location and quantity of gear he's bringing.
For travel to Mexico and Panama, he's been able to carry on his bag'o reels outbound, but not coming home. Reels can get pretty pricey, and nobody wants those to get "lost" in transit.
For domestic travel, he's had pretty good luck being able to carry on the reel bag.
Alaska Airlines has a good deal, they consider Rods+1 tackle box as one checked bag.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling Fisherman of the Lavender Room... [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now I travel with 2 rods & reels. A 11 1/2' surf pole and a 7' back pack spinning rod. I'm not happy with the surf pole, it's too brittle and I want to upgrade to a different one. I'm not having a lot of luck finding travel poles outside of Rapala Baja which is the one I'm not very happy with. My preferred pole would be an Ugly Stick just for the durability but they don't make a travel surf rod. That's why I'm searching for a decent checked bag solution, that way I can have what I want when I get there and not be compromising on the gear I'm using.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a couple st Croix 2 piece surf rods that are nice. That said I haven't looked at there nee stuff in a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling Fisherman of the Lavender Room... [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't get me wrong, St Croix makes some nice kit, but a 12' rod isn't going to cut it for the fish I'm hoping to target.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understandable. Like I said I'm at home with a fly rod in my hand. My surf fishing is usually chaising drum, blues or spec trout along the coast of NC. What are you chasing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Don't get me wrong, St Croix makes some nice kit, but a 12' rod isn't going to cut it for the fish I'm hoping to target.

Forgive my ignorance as I am a fly fisherman 99% of the time, but what will your 11'6" rod handle that a 12' won't? Oddly, one of the non-fly rods I have is a 10'6" St. Croix drift rod that I use for salmon and steelhead, but also use for shore casting spoons and spawn sacks.

-------------
"Life is fragile - we are all just a slip or a car crash away from being a very different person."
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling Fisherman of the Lavender Room... [drew_235] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want a 15’ rod so I can cast further. Btw for ulua.
Quote Reply