Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

World’s best hitchhiker
Quote | Reply
Fascinating read. I love this stuff.

I’m a huge Paul Theroux fan so this was right up my alley.

https://www.nytimes.com/...test-hitchhiker.html
Quote Reply
Re: World’s best hitchhiker [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finished a 3 days hike in New Zealand and had an hour wait for a shuttle bus. The girl with amazing legs and short shorts got a ride from the first car that went by. The dorky guy who had followed the girl like a puppy on the trail never got a car to slow down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ford Prefect?
Quote Reply
Re: World’s best hitchhiker [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
Ford Prefect?

Always carry a towel.

Quote | Reply
Good stuff.

I consider myself a pretty hitchhiker. So many good stories. Neo-nazis ("You know why I picked you up, right? You look like a good white man - it's dangerous with the Mexicans around here"). A hippie dying of cancer heading out to for his last VW bus trip to Taos to die. Been picked up by desperately poor filthy migrant workers in barely-running cars and filthy rich couples in Cayenne Turbos.

I absolutely agree that a nice smile is key, particularly if you don't have female company.
Quote Reply
Re: World’s best hitchhiker [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Good stuff.

I consider myself a pretty hitchhiker. So many good stories. Neo-nazis ("You know why I picked you up, right? You look like a good white man - it's dangerous with the Mexicans around here"). A hippie dying of cancer heading out to for his last VW bus trip to Taos to die. Been picked up by desperately poor filthy migrant workers in barely-running cars and filthy rich couples in Cayenne Turbos.

I absolutely agree that a nice smile is key, particularly if you don't have female company.

I've always thought you were kinda pretty, too. :-)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: World’s best hitchhiker [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:

I've always thought you were kinda pretty, too. :-)

Oops. And I was almost going to mention how many gay sex propositions I've turned down in cars. A lot. But then I get a lot generally - not sure why.
Quote Reply
Re: World’s best hitchhiker [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Oops. And I was almost going to mention how many gay sex propositions I've turned down in cars. A lot. But then I get a lot generally - not sure why.

Do you do a lot of trail running in Poway?

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: World’s best hitchhiker [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
trail wrote:

Do you do a lot of trail running in Poway?

No, pretty rarely. Must be some other really attractive guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jack reacher could have told you all that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He hitchhiked across Afghanistan where a Canadian man & his American wife became 'hostages'. Interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: World’s best hitchhiker [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
He hitchhiked across Afghanistan where a Canadian man & his American wife became 'hostages'. Interesting.

Why is that interesting?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: World’s best hitchhiker [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because he managed to stay safe in one of the most dangerous places on the planet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who would have figured smiling and looking friendly/non-threatening would be a key point?

That being said, apparently most people. At least whenever I see hitchhikers they usually look surly and not the least bit like someone you'd want to give a ride to.
Quote Reply