Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Raceday compact warm-up trainers: Minoura FG VS Blackburn Raceday VS Feedback Sports Omnium....what do you think?
Quote | Reply
When considering compact portable trainers for raceday warm-up, here are my basic criteria:
  • It must be compact and light as possible (a standard trainer takes up too much room in a sedan or crossover SUV, the compact unit must be able to fit on the floor behind a front seat, so it can't damage a bike in the cargo area while on the road).
  • Should be quiet as possible (no need to tick off other racers in the parking lot, or spouses or neighbors when riding indoors at home).
  • Must be easy and quick to set up and take down (so you can get your warm-up done and get to the start without cooling down or stressing).
  • Must be reasonably affordable (this is relative, but so far, the price you pay for compact is not trivial).
  • Should have a decent ride quality and enough resistance available to get a solid warm-up.

I've found 3+ candidates so far:
  • Minoura FG-540 and 220
  • Blackburn Raceday
  • Feedback Sports Omnium

If you've had firsthand experience with one or all of these, please chime in with your likes and dislikes.

Much appreciated, thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Raceday compact warm-up trainers: Minoura FG VS Blackburn Raceday VS Feedback Sports Omnium....what do you think? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are using Aluminum rims, and there is nothing in the rim that lets a strong magnet stick, you could use the StackZero. Folds pretty much flat, and only sound it makes is the drive train.
Quote Reply
Re: Raceday compact warm-up trainers: Minoura FG VS Blackburn Raceday VS Feedback Sports Omnium....what do you think? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I had a sedan, I still used a normal KK fluid trainer. It doesn't take up that much room unless you have two people and two bikes. Is your front seat not available?

Seems like quite an investment for something you're only going to use to warm up on a handful of times a year. I can't imagine all the races you're going to (assuming road races or TTs) don't have an area you can't warm up on simply by riding your bike on the road. Keep in mind also that while these trainers/rollers are very compact, the drums are a lot smaller than they should be, so there is a little more vibration that tends to come with them compared to full sized drums. Probably not an issue while warming up...but if you intended to use these a lot at home for indoor training then it might get annoying...especially given the price you're paying.
Quote Reply
Re: Raceday compact warm-up trainers: Minoura FG VS Blackburn Raceday VS Feedback Sports Omnium....what do you think? [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyme wrote:
If you are using Aluminum rims, and there is nothing in the rim that lets a strong magnet stick, you could use the StackZero. Folds pretty much flat, and only sound it makes is the drive train.

Very cool! Hadn't seen that before. I don't see Hed Jet Plus wheels listed on their site in the yes or no compatibility lists, so submitted a question to their support to find out.
Quote Reply
Re: Raceday compact warm-up trainers: Minoura FG VS Blackburn Raceday VS Feedback Sports Omnium....what do you think? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
When I had a sedan, I still used a normal KK fluid trainer. It doesn't take up that much room unless you have two people and two bikes. Is your front seat not available?

Seems like quite an investment for something you're only going to use to warm up on a handful of times a year. I can't imagine all the races you're going to (assuming road races or TTs) don't have an area you can't warm up on simply by riding your bike on the road. Keep in mind also that while these trainers/rollers are very compact, the drums are a lot smaller than they should be, so there is a little more vibration that tends to come with them compared to full sized drums. Probably not an issue while warming up...but if you intended to use these a lot at home for indoor training then it might get annoying...especially given the price you're paying.

Front seat isn't available, and for safety, it's best to have heavy objects on the floor secured behind a seat, so I won't put a trainer up there. I'm silly like that. :D

I'd definitely want to use the trainer for more than just warm-ups; ideally, I'd like to use it for every trainer need if it can work.

I'm kind of concerned about running race-specific tires through broken glass and other unpredictable stuff on the roads near a race venue. I've done it plenty of times, but would really rather eliminate that variable and just keep the race tires on the race course....but first thing is to actually get to the race course with everything intact. When something distracts or concerns me, I try to either change it or change the way I think about it. I can't seem to change the way I think about running semi-fragile race tires over sketchy roads right before the start of a race, feels dumb doing it if it can be avoided. My goal is to be less dumb before a race, or rather, to appear smarter. Even though it's questionable whether that's realistic. :)

Also, doing high effort warm-ups on the road amongst other distracted, nervous riders on aero bikes right before the start seems like asking for trouble. Sure, I'll do it if there is no other option, just trying to get an option for a change.
Last edited by: Super D: Mar 23, 18 20:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get a set of rollers
Quote Reply
Re: Raceday compact warm-up trainers: Minoura FG VS Blackburn Raceday VS Feedback Sports Omnium....what do you think? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:

Not sure a set of rollers will fit, seems like that'd take up more car space than a trainer. Plus, riding in the aero position on rollers safely seems like something which would take quite a while to develop adeptness with. Not that it couldn't be done, but I'd like to be able to avoid mishaps before race start. Riding rollers in training at home, all good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.triathlete.com/...te-among-pros_298392

Good enough for Gwen, good enough for you?

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Raceday compact warm-up trainers: Minoura FG VS Blackburn Raceday VS Feedback Sports Omnium....what do you think? [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
http://www.triathlete.com/...te-among-pros_298392

Good enough for Gwen, good enough for you?

More than good enough! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If its going to be your only trainer keep in mind that the feedback maxes out around 600 watts at 100 rpm (53x11).

Not an issue if you're only doing endurance work.
Quote Reply
Re: Raceday compact warm-up trainers: Minoura FG VS Blackburn Raceday VS Feedback Sports Omnium....what do you think? [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
If its going to be your only trainer keep in mind that the feedback maxes out around 600 watts at 100 rpm (53x11).

Not an issue if you're only doing endurance work.

That s a good point to consider. I don’t really like doIng high power intervals inside, so not a big issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. I'm thinking about picking one up to haul to cx races. With only a 42T chainring I can (theoretically) get to threshold, but no further.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: gabbiev: Mar 24, 18 11:42
Re: Raceday compact warm-up trainers: Minoura FG VS Blackburn Raceday VS Feedback Sports Omnium....what do you think? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
The Stac trainer works well with Hed Jet wheels--used this combo last season. Very silent and simple to use. I just plop my bike on it and go--I don't use the optional weights on the rear wheel, either.

Very nice. Great that it's quiet, too! That makes it much more usable for home, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
Karl.n wrote:

Not sure a set of rollers will fit, seems like that'd take up more car space than a trainer. Plus, riding in the aero position on rollers safely seems like something which would take quite a while to develop adeptness with. Not that it couldn't be done, but I'd like to be able to avoid mishaps before race start. Riding rollers in training at home, all good.

A good set folds up and is lighter than a trainer. I don't know how much room your back seat has.

As far as riding them, you'd know better for yourself. I regularly ride mine in aero and for a race warm up you shouldn't need to spend a long time out on the skis.
Quote Reply
Re: Raceday compact warm-up trainers: Minoura FG VS Blackburn Raceday VS Feedback Sports Omnium....what do you think? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
Super D wrote:
Karl.n wrote:

A good set folds up and is lighter than a trainer. I don't know how much room your back seat has.

As far as riding them, you'd know better for yourself. I regularly ride mine in aero and for a race warm up you shouldn't need to spend a long time out on the skis.

I’ve never ridden rollers, and definitely want to try it. But seeing as I would be a roller beginner, there’s probably a pretty good chance that I would crash before the race even begins! :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not tried the Minoura or the Blackburn but I feel like it would be hard to beat the performance of the Feedback Sports Omnium.

I am a professional triathlete and travel all around the world with my Omnium. It fits into my roll aboard luggage and I exclusively ride the Feedback in the week leading up to the race. It pops up and is rideable within seconds and provides enough resistance for me to do some pretty significant workouts. The Omnium has become one of the most important pieces of equipment in my closet and one that I constantly trust and rely on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been on my Feedback omnium for a year and it’s the perfect all round trainer. Easy to pack and comes with carry case to travel and weighs 14lbs. Quick to set up and works with any wheels. I also like that there is a little bit of float when riding (rear wheel and bike moves) this is more like riding outdoors. I also find it reduces some of the muscle tension and potential for injury from being locked in a single position like a locked rear wheel trainer does. Plenty of resistance for most workouts even if you want to do sprints it will provide over 1000watts of resistance till you spin it up to speed. It’s very stable to ride on as well and easy to mount any bike. It’s a winner, but be careful because everyone at races will want to borrow it. 🙄
Quote Reply