Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Injury bug, ever experienced this? thankful for any tips/experiences
Quote | Reply
Tried to search for topic already about this as I know ITBS is a chronic issue posted about all the time. But, has anyone ever had IT band problems on the run that were caused from the bike (though you had minimal to no pain on the bike itself)?

More background if you want to read: started having some very low, lateral knee pain during a run 2 months ago. I have had issues with the IT band in the past and this was very similar. Went to PT and they confirmed IT band issue. Have taken time off, done extensive rehab (ice, anti inflammatory, hours of strengthening weekly, stretching, rolling) yet the pain has not resolved at all and is coming on sooner when I do try an experiment run.

During this rehab time, I have continued to push the bike because I never really had pain with it. I had a bike fit a year ago (though it was mostly just someone eyeballing at local bike shop) and have tinkered with the fit on my own since then. Could it be the bike that is causing the chronic issue on the run even if I don't have much of any symptom while biking?

Any help would be appreciated, IM Texas is sooner than I'd like for not being able to run more than 2 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Injury bug, ever experienced this? thankful for any tips/experiences [kwicks13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you do deep and heavy squats? Heavy deadlifts?
Quote Reply
Re: Injury bug, ever experienced this? thankful for any tips/experiences [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. Doing mostly body weight strengthening right now and a few light weight stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Injury bug, ever experienced this? thankful for any tips/experiences [kwicks13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed my left IT is prone to injury, and this year a fitter was videoing me from in front and noticed that my left knee kicks out when i pedal, not a ton like the wide leggers, as i call them but enough to convince me that is my problem. just throwing that out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Injury bug, ever experienced this? thankful for any tips/experiences [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did changing the bike position seem to help the problem from coming back when running related changes did not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the bike fit can contribute to lateral knee pain.. especially cleat orientation.

1) some folks present with increased lateral femoral and/or tibial rotation anatomically, adjusting your cleat accordingly can help (obviously have no idea if you present this way).

2) the ice, rolling, NSAIDS typically don't fix things...especially if there is a mechanical issue presenting.

3) Decreased soft tissue mobility of the lateral thigh/knee can play a role as well.

find someone who can determine the above....did your PT discuss some of these things with you?

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You aren’t entirely clear if you are having pain on the bike or immediately after you dismount. Is your pain coming on only with running or is your rehab routine provocative? If your pain is coming on sooner than it used to something is amiss- bike, rehab, running or something else.

Multiple diagnoses can present as lateral knee pain besides ITBS. Perhaps revisiting your PT again and ruling out a ROM loss of the knee and a possible internal derangement can be helpful. A new onset or aggravated symptoms may be signs of a different issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Injury bug, ever experienced this? thankful for any tips/experiences [PTinAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PT originally thought it was just caused from weakness in stabilizing muscles of hip and leg so have really been focusing on strength, but I’m curious as to if the bike can be the culprit of the pain while running even if it doesn’t hurt while biking? Pain has not come on sooner or changed in nature since initial onset. Just has not improved with very aggressive strength and resting. So a though I had was since I was still pushing hard on bike, maybe the fit is off and causing the running problem.
In Reply To:

I’m also fairly bow legged if that helps. I have laid off nsaids and rolling recently . Focus on my TFL and lateral quad release.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kwicks13 wrote:
PT originally thought it was just caused from weakness in stabilizing muscles of hip and leg so have really been focusing on strength, but I’m curious as to if the bike can be the culprit of the pain while running even if it doesn’t hurt while biking? Pain has not come on sooner or changed in nature since initial onset. Just has not improved with very aggressive strength and resting. So a though I had was since I was still pushing hard on bike, maybe the fit is off and causing the running problem.
In Reply To:

I’m also fairly bow legged if that helps. I have laid off nsaids and rolling recently . Focus on my TFL and lateral quad release.

Tough to say without a full workup and accurate bike fitting.

Yes, varus posture at the knees makes you a bit more prone to lateral knee pain. Another culprit can be too excessive medial posting in the running shoe, an orthotic that was poorly prescribed, or combo of both.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kwicks13 wrote:
Nope. Doing mostly body weight strengthening right now and a few light weight stuff.

Heavy deep squats and deadlifts are your cure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well any time I try to train both bike and run I get IT band pain at the left knee. I can just run with no problems or ride with no problems.

So I did the sensible thing and stopped running :)
Quote Reply