Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

upgrade Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 with Di2?
Quote | Reply
The only big differences between the Speedmax CF 7.0 and the 8.0 Di2 are 1) the electronic shifting and 2) the wheelset. Those differences cost $2,500 as the former retails for $2,500 and the latter for $5,000. All else appears to be identical.

Since I don't need wheels, but I want electronic shifting, would it be reasonable to just buy the 7.0 and have a Di2 system installed? I'm guessing that all in I'd still be under $4,000...

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: upgrade Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 with Di2? [simplymax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was exactly my thinking, just had a CF7 delivered. Already having a wheelset it didn't seem worth trying to have to sell the new one.

I'm not quite sure when i'll do the di2 conversion but i'm contemplating a diy. Figured i should at least put some mileage on with the mechanicals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
simplymax wrote:
The only big differences between the Speedmax CF 7.0 and the 8.0 Di2 are 1) the electronic shifting and 2) the wheelset. Those differences cost $2,500 as the former retails for $2,500 and the latter for $5,000. All else appears to be identical.

Since I don't need wheels, but I want electronic shifting, would it be reasonable to just buy the 7.0 and have a Di2 system installed? I'm guessing that all in I'd still be under $4,000...

Thoughts?

A Full Road Ultegra Di2 kit thru Merlin Cycles is like $1,400 (not sure how much the TT version would be but would assume just a bit less).....plus whatever you could get for selling off the 105 parts you don't need. In the end could end up saving you close to $1,000 since you don't need the wheels. More if your selling the stock wheels as well.
Quote Reply
Re: upgrade Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 with Di2? [Yobroski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you like the bike overall so far?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just upgraded my bike with an Ultegra R8050 TT Di2 shift kit for around $1,500 from a US bike store. I splurged a little on Dura Ace TT brake levers & shifters. And, I installed the bar-end Junction A, so it is a little cleaner and different from a typical TT installation. It is pretty easy and straight forward work. So yes, if you got the CF 7.0 and the R8050 upgrade parts, you could do it for $4K. But, if you had to pay someone else to install it, that would probably be a little more than $4K.

Just an FYI, the CF 7.0 would also have 105 brakes and crankset, which are inferior to the same on the 8.0. And, those are big cash to upgrade. And, the cassette is 105, but Ultegra cassettes are not huge money. The net to get true like-for-like components on both is probably around $4,400.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Mar 22, 18 15:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll let you know as soon as we stop getting snowstorms ;_;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it possible or not? The problem seem to be the fixation of DI2 stick battery. Please help
Quote Reply
Re: upgrade Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 with Di2? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi exxxviii I saw you upgraded your Speedmax with a Ultegra R8050 TT Di2 shift kit. Could you share whre you installed the battery? Would be appreciated, Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: upgrade Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 with Di2? [YogY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my bike upgrade to a Felt IA, so I cannot help on the Speedmax battery location. (I was mainly responding to the part about upgrade costs and differences for Di2, and not the Speedmax installation details.)

I found the Speedmax owners manual, and it says the Di2 battery should be attached to the bottom of the seatpost.
https://media.canyon.com/...n_Speedmax_CF_ja.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: upgrade Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 with Di2? [Leratz06210] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leratz06210 wrote:
Is it possible or not? The problem seem to be the fixation of DI2 stick battery. Please help

Once place to put it is inside the aerobar extension. That is what I did on my Tri bike when upgrading to Di2 (older Felt B12) and the battery fit in there nicely along with an internal 4 port Junction B to get everything connected properly. For reference I have the stock Felt basebar but use 3T extensions (because I prefer J-Bends as opposed to the Felt f-bends that came with the bike). Otherwise you could do external battery and mount it on the bottle cage area too. I have that setup on my road bike and it works just fine.

Also, to the OP, the stack/reach of the CF7.0 vs the CF8.0 is different. Do a search on this forum and you'll find a few threads about the fit differences. Might or might not make a difference to you.
Quote Reply
Re: upgrade Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 with Di2? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction! Now that I know where the specific search terms I can find more...

[EDIT]
I spoke to Canyon and they said that the Di2 battery is mounted in the downtube (from al least the 2018 models and up). They said the frames are the same and all you need is a battery mount so you can place it in the downtube and some grommets to fit the Di2 wires where they exit instead of the mechanical ones. They said they can send me some. I sent them the request. Waiting on reply.

[UPDATE]
Have received reply and placed an order with Canyon for:
- Battery holder for in the downtube €3,95
- Bottom bracket Di2 plate €2,95
- Di2 grommet for RD €2,95

Quote:
Your order details

PCYC Assembly Battery Holder GP0042-01
Qty 1 3,95 €

CAYN BB Plug EL E403-16
Qty 1 2,95 €

PC E161-13 Di2 GROMMET