Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The coming soybean war?
Quote | Reply
It looks to me like China has a plan in place should Trump decide to raise tariffs:

"China’s imports of soybeans from the United States in January fell 14 percent from the same month a year ago, customs data showed, as Brazil grabbed a larger slice of the world’s biggest market for the oilseed with higher-protein beans.

According to customs data released on Saturday, China imported 5.82 million tonnes of soybeans from the United States in January, equal to 67 percent of all imports. Last year, U.S. beans accounted for 88.5 percent of the January total.

The drop underlines concerns about a slide in U.S. sales to the world’s top soybean buyer because of declining protein levels in U.S. soybeans, allowing Brazil to lure customers with its own higher-protein crop."

Interestingly enough Soybeans could be targeted for another reason: "Eight of the biggest exporting states voted for Trump in 2016. A ninth, Minnesota, voted for Hillary Clinton by a razor-thin margin."

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: The coming soybean war? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what you are telling us is that China, a country that has traditionally taken the long view on all things, has a plan for a dealing guy who thus far has not demonstrated higher intellectual thought or comprehension of the most basic concepts of leadership of a country while simultaneously pulling tariff ideas out of his butt and straight to twitter?

Shocking.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fake news. Trump is winning.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Cui said Thursday that China will do what is necessary to defend its interests and “safeguard the open global trading system.” He suggested doing the latter would also be in the best interests of the U.S.

“Let me assure those people who intend to fight a trade war: We will certainly fight back. We will retaliate,” he said. “If people want to play tough, we will play tough with them and see who will last longer."
http://thehill.com/...fraid-of-a-trade-war

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup. Trump's tariffs will help CA tech companies and probably hurt red state farmers. #MAGA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always said it. The one thing Trump can do to start a recession and wreck the economy is start a trade war. This may go down as being even dumber than starting the Iraq war.
Quote Reply
Re: The coming soybean war? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
yup. Trump's tariffs will help CA tech companies and probably hurt red state farmers. #MAGA

Let's hope this is all bluster on Trump's part because the Chinese, besides being the largest T-Bill owner they have learned how to play hardball. NOw if I am a democrat I can see how this could potentially help the party in November:

Arthur Kroeber, managing director of Gavekal Dragonomics, said Beijing was sending a “carefully calibrated” message that it will stand up to Trump, while trying not to escalate the spat into a confrontation that could seriously threaten the global trading system.

“The larger part of China’s strategy, though, is to position itself as the good guy in the global economy, protecting the rules of the game from Trump’s lawless attacks,” he said.

Wei Jianguo, a former vice commerce minister, said China has different lists of possible tariffs ready depending on Trump’s next move. He said China would target states and industries that are important to Trump, such as autos, planes, IT and semiconductors, wheat, corn and soybeans.

“China’s response should follow the principle of a precision strike,” wrote Mei Xinyu, a researcher at a Commerce Ministry think-tank in an opinion piece for China Daily. “China should first take measures to deal a blow to the industries in U.S. states that helped Trump win the 2016 presidential election and those states whose political leaders are still backing him in this year’s midterm election.”

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, and it concurs with my comments in the other thread.

China is likely to have a far more subtle and ultimately successful strategy, but they may yet help Trump find a face-saving exit.
Quote Reply
Re: The coming soybean war? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USA has the biggest, strongest economy in the world. China is growing rapidly and with their population and resource base they will overtake the USA as the dominant economic entity on Earth.
Americans seem to be generally in favor of one of two diametrically opposed perspectives on how to deal with this.

A) Try to block them from becoming #1. This may mean some pain for the US economy as well, but we'd rather be a little poorer as long as we're #1
B) Work with them and find a way of getting a richer ourselves as they ride the elevator to a large, developed economy.

Generally Trump and his followers think "A"
Most economists and Democrats think "B"

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply