Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mavic Wintech Cycle computer
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried the new Mavic Wintech Cycle computer? It uses the skewar for a sensor. Where can you get one?
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Wintech Cycle computer [bryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been checking pretty regularly with my LBS, and they have several on backorder. They're now being told end of January for delivery. Yet another vaporware item for the time being.
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Wintech Cycle computer [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got one from my LBS (Houston) right after Christmas. He had ordered 6 got only 2. Was in there this week end still had one left. Another LBS had 6 in stock about 2 weeks back.

fal7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will be in short supply throughout the season but dealers who ordered 20 will be allocated about 4-6 depending on the status of their accoutn according to a meeting I had with our Mavic rep last week.

We tried his prototype or sales sample briefly and were able to get it to work breifly. Only time will tell if this is plagued by the typical issues with wireless computers.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought one for Samantha. I got the cadence unit, as well. I really can't try it out until I get my all-in-one bar painted.

The only negative that I see is that it is not meant for switching between two bikes as you have to re-calibrate the sensor. This is a step that makes sure that your mavic computer does not talk to any other wireless computer. To move the computer, you would either: a) use the same front wheel on all of your bikes, b) recalibrate your computers sensors and still move the skewer, or c) remove the entire works and mount it onto the other bike. I plan on another one for my road bike, as well. Those magnets are strong. I have never seen such strong magnets on a computer.

The nice thing is that your magnet is pretty close to the centre of the wheel, which I like better. I would only see this as a disadvantage on a wheel like the Lightweight or ADA, as they integrate a magnet into the rim across from the valve to balance their front wheel. I am sure if you are paying that much coin for a wheel, Lightweight or ADA could implant a magnet into the hub. You can also use it with any fork, as the sensor is not zip-tied onto the fork. The cadence unit is very clean, as well. I could see an "aero" advantage with the whole package, and $100 is not too steep for a such clean unit.

I also like how it mounts to the stem, making it perfect for cleaning up the bar tops. This makes it seem almost tailor-made for those of us who hate trying to mount a computer on one of those silly Cronometro computer knobs that don't hold up well and STILL cost $9.00. I don't mind paying $9.00 if it works, but replacing a $9.00 unit adds up when it's over and over again ($9 three times one year for those stupid mounts- that could buy a tubular tyre if you shop at the right places and the right times). I never could get the other computer mounts meant for aerobars to work terribly well. I even tried to EPOXY the Cronometro mount with little success (as the plastic it is manufactured from repels epoxy). This is a heads and shoulders improvement, and makes the argument I had against even having a computer on Samantha moot.

The cadence unit is both good and bad. The bad fact is that it's held on by zip ties. The good fact is that it's held on by zip ties, as if it were a clamp unit, I would not have gotten it onto the massive, 4-6" x 1.5" seat tube that is on Samantha. I will probably secure it with clear duct tape (yes, they make that stuff). It looks aerodynamically unobtrusive. The magnet has double-sided adhesive for the crank, and it the strength of the magnet just held itself onto my Sweet Wings crank (as the crank is steel).

It looks pretty clean, and it is clear how much thought went into this unit. It looks like maybe Mavic took everything they learned from their ill-fated attempts at electronics and may have come up with something usable from all of the money they had poured into both the Mektronic and Zap programmes.

I will report later about how well it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would like to make an addenda to my previous post more related to the perfomance than supply issues.
Unit works fine with my Hed Aero Jet front wheel. However also have H3's and cannot get the sensor to pick up the magnet on the H3 front. There appears to be too much distance between the magnet and sensor due to the configuration of the tri spoke. This is frustrating.
Quote Reply