Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Make USA Triathlon Snorkeless Again [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
My coffee is still too hot to drink and the morning is going well, but this is otherwise word-for-word what I would have said. I'm a fairly competitive guy now, but it was only 9 years ago I had a DNS at the first open water tri I was signed up for and both cried and threw up during the swim of the first actual open water sprint I finally did.

Probably not a bad thing that you weren't using a snorkel.
Quote Reply
Re: Make USA Triathlon Snorkeless Again [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
dangle wrote:

My coffee is still too hot to drink and the morning is going well, but this is otherwise word-for-word what I would have said. I'm a fairly competitive guy now, but it was only 9 years ago I had a DNS at the first open water tri I was signed up for and both cried and threw up during the swim of the first actual open water sprint I finally did.

Probably not a bad thing that you weren't using a snorkel.

That's an excellent point. Unless it looked like this!

Quote Reply
Re: Make USA Triathlon Snorkeless Again [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
For the past three years I have swum with a ocean swimming group.

The group swims every day of the year in all weather conditions, attracting between 60 and 600 swimmers depending on conditions, time of year, weekends/holiday vs weekday, etc. Most swimmers will swim 1.5km, but there are always swimmers who go further; 2.5, 3.5, 6, even up to 10km.

The group encourages participation and new members, and the use of wetsuits, fins, snorkels or anything else that makes swimmers feel more comfortable is both permissible and encouraged. There's no judgement as to what "toys" people choose.

This morning I was even passed by a guy with a pull buoy between his thighs. Would have been interesting to see how he managed swimming out and back in through the surf break.

In my time with the group, I have never heard of someone having a safety issue with a snorkel or heard of any talk or reasons to prohibit their use. The group has been swimming daily for 7 or 8 years, apparently without issue or incident to warrant a snorkel ban.

JOOC, where does your group swim??? And i wonder why pull buoy guy just didn't wear a wetsuit rather than use the buoy, which as you suggest, could easily be lost in going out through the surf. I just think it's really weird to use a buoy in OW but apparently the swimrun events allow buoys, paddles, wetsuits, etc. Those guys look pretty weird coming across the finish line though, carrying their buoy and paddles. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Make USA Triathlon Snorkeless Again [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just give them their own swim wave with the other "need some extra help" swimmers, and let them have at it with some extra kayak help watching them.

We need more people racing, not less.
Quote Reply
Re: Make USA Triathlon Snorkeless Again [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with @elf6c

Brilliant WIN-WIN-WIN

That will solve all problems stated above, satisfy every pro/con listed and GROW the sport.

An existing rule in place for over a decade and most people did were not aware.

IMO - In the latest push to grow the sport with the new "USA Triathlon and IRONMAN Team Up to Launch Time to Tri Initiative" covering rules and having more of a welcoming attitude will help you hard core TRI athletes race more, race for less $$ and help ensure the longevity of the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Make USA Triathlon Snorkeless Again [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
tttiltheend wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:
That is the question. Are they actually helpful? I don't think we have enough information, but I tentatively lean towards snorkels being sufficiently safe.

In the other thread on this topic, a fellow who claims he has 15 years of lifesaving and paramedic experience makes a convincing case that they are very dangerous for an inexperienced user.

That would be me, and I definitely stand by that statement. They're dangerous in Open Water where there is an increased chance of water getting sloshed in versus a pool which is very calm and you are not having people crawling all over you.

Aren't 99% of snorkels used in open water?

Quote:
Someone else pointed out what, quite correctly, that it dramatically increases the physiological Dead Space. Instead of just blowing air from your lungs through a few inches of your larynx and mouth, you have to blow an additional 8 to 10 inches of dead space, so you're getting getting less oxygen turnover, which will ultimately lead to you being slower, and closer to panicking in any given time.

Not that everyone knows this, but if you're exhaling back through a swim snorkel, you're doing it wrong. You should be exhaling through your nose to prevent the dead air in the snorkel.

Quote:
Something that I really like about Koz Enterprises races down here in San Diego is that they provide "swim buddies" for people who are little bit anxious when it comes to Open Water Swimming. Basically, these are volunteers who are very strong swimmers who will swim along next to you offer encouragement, if you need it, Etc. Imo, US AT should be advocating for that kind of stuff at races if they really want to encourage new participation by people who are a bit scared off by the swim

The 3rd triathlon I did was a Koz event and they pulled 3 people out of the breakers on backboards before my wave started. The problem there was the people wearing wetsuits were getting flipped by the breakers, so maybe we should ban wetsuits too. (BTW, I'm all for that)

The people who are getting flipped by the 'breakers' weren't getting flipped because they were wearing wetsuits. They were getting flipped because they didn't dive under the waves, which is what an experienced open water or ocean swimmer would do.

They did it wrong, and they got hurt.

Kind of proves my point about inexperienced people in open water getting hurt, right?

As far as 99% of snorkels being used in open water, you are correct. They're used by people with fins on, a mask, and in calm conditions where water isn't coming over the top them, nor are they getting tusseled by dozens if not hundreds other swimmers

Add a little bit of wind chop, and suddenly there is water coming over the top of the snorkelers, into the snorkels, and you have snorkelers panicking, inhaling water, Etc. Again this is the lifeguard in me talking.

I've seen experienced freedivers get dropped in on a kelp Paddy 30 miles offshore in snotty conditions freak out because ehitecaps were slopping over the top of their snorkel.

Now imagine someone who is using a snorkel because they are inexperienced and already scared of open water swimming. Imagine them with that snorkel locked in their mouth during the scrum. That's hardly calm, relaxing water.

I didn't know that you were supposed to exhale through your nose with a swimming snorkel. I wonder how many people actually do that.

Even so, they still restrict airflow. That's always a huge trade-off with snorkels. The larger bore snorkel you go, the easier it is to breathe, but the more likely you are to get water in your lungs.

Like I said, I just see it as a safety issue in a mass start or even wave start swim. There are so many other things you could do to make it safe for weaker swimmers, and more user-friendly: Swim Buddies, pull buoys, paddles, fins, a separate wave for self-identified weak swimmers. All those things improve your ability to breathe, sight, and complete the swim without issue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next