Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Down goes the last male white rhino
Quote | Reply
https://www.nytimes.com/...o-sudan-extinct.html

And then there were 2, both females. The last male northern white rhino was euthanized due to health problems. They have some sperm and the technology for IVF. A major obstacle is that the last 2 females are unable to carry to term meaning that they'll need a surrogate from a related species if there's any hope to avoid extinction. To complicate matters more, they've never been successful at IFV in a rhino before. They also have a few embryos frozen that could be used as a stem cell source.

Poaching and habitat loss have already extincted other species of rhino, ready to take out another, and threatening the rest. Just another example of humans' destructive power.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Down goes the last male white rhino [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trump kids don't get to bag a white one, poor kids
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sad story. Killed so Chinese people can take sex potions and middle eastern types can have cool knife handles.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Down goes the last male white rhino [ruby1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ruby1 wrote:
Trump kids don't get to bag a white one, poor kids

It’s got to be a hell of a rough life to have Trump running through your head all day. I don’t understand big game hunting, but it’s not like they’re going around hunting endangered species.

It’s remarkably annoying that some people have to bring them up in every single thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Down goes the last male white rhino [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Sad story. Killed so Chinese people can take sex potions and middle eastern types can have cool knife handles.

And because of this, the horn of any white rhino is literally worth its weight in gold. How stupid is that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose with technology perhaps anything is possible, but with such little genetic diversity remaining wouldn't this species be a goner no matter what we do at this point?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pffft, at least he won't be lording his white privilege over the others now.
Quote Reply
Re: Down goes the last male white rhino [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
I suppose with technology perhaps anything is possible, but with such little genetic diversity remaining wouldn't this species be a goner no matter what we do at this point?

Lack of genetic diversity may increase disease rate. No idea if that is an issue in Rhinos though. Unless it’s a major issue that inhibits them making it to mating age or ability to mate it’d be fine. There may be an increase in death rate until it becomes less common though. It really depends.

The bigger issue is getting enough to naturally mate and to protect them so they can. Since they haven’t been able to protect the ones they have I don’t see why we should put much effort into it until they can fix that issue. Unless you can get them to a reserve in the US or something that would make it significantly harder for poaching.
Quote Reply