Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any way to get an old classic spin bike to work on Zwift? Or broadcast ANT or Bluetooth at all?
Quote | Reply
A friend from work picked up a used spin bike from a gym and asked how she can get it to show distance and speed on her Garmin watch so she could record the workouts. She's a runner and has no bike. This is basically her first bike and she's realizing she loves it.

I told her maybe we could figure out a magnet speed sensor on that big wheel? And then she's at least got something. And then also she's now seen Zwift... So maybe the same method and tell Zwift it's a normal bike on a dumb trainer?

Any ideas? This is the same as what she's riding. https://www.amazon.com/...n-Bike/dp/B005BQQUZC

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get an old classic spin bike to work on Zwift? Or broadcast ANT or Bluetooth at all? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Putting on a pedal based PM an option?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get an old classic spin bike to work on Zwift? Or broadcast ANT or Bluetooth at all? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get separate speed and cadence sensors, about $15-20 for generic ones on eBay, or up to $80 for Wahoo. Make sure to get ANT+ and Bluetooth capable to work with any device.
Cadence could probably work with a magnet, but the magnetless ones are easier.
For speed, on that I think a magnet version would work. Probably just glue a magnet to the wheel. Then figure out the diameter for speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm familiar with that bike and the real problem she is going to have is that a speed/cadence sensor will provide meaningless data. You adjust resistance on the bike by turning the big red dial which forced friction pads against the wheel. Unless you know the force being applied by the pads to the wheel the wheel speed has no correlation to any real world speed or distance measure. In fact because it is a single speed (with a free wheel) cadence and wheel speed are always directly related unless you are spinning out so getting both is totally unnecessary.

I hate to say it but the only solution I can think of is a pedal based power meter. And for the cost I would never actually recommend a power meter over selling the spin bike and getting a cheap turbo and entry level bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a big investment but I'd tell her to get a pedal based power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for 69$ she can get the powercal, basically a heart rate belt that broadcasts (ant+, ble) both hr and "estimated" power; nowhere as accurate as vector pedals, but at least she can zwift without breaking the bank
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Mar 22, 18 9:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in a similar situation with my wife. Couldn’t make Zwift work so we did the Peloton app. I just bought a cadence sensor and subscribed her to the Peloton App. Just tell her to Google DIY Peloton Bike. Not Zwift but the cheapest option.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only really functional method I'm aware of here would be the PowerCal - https://www.powertap.com/...ct/powertap-powercal

Basically converts HR to power. It's not great by any means, but it is "functional." And the best part is that it doesn't actually require any parts *on the bike.*

If you wanted an option that would work on/with the bike itself, I think pedal-based powermeter would be your only option. I *believe* most of them use standard pedal threading.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get an old classic spin bike to work on Zwift? Or broadcast ANT or Bluetooth at all? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Putting on a pedal based PM an option?

That's right. I actually have this exact setup: Garmin Vectors on a cheap spinning bike.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of cranks are on there? There is a Stages version just for spin bikes that may or could work. That would work nicely with zwift actually. Otherwise the pedal base power option. Single side would probably be just fine to save money.
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get an old classic spin bike to work on Zwift? Or broadcast ANT or Bluetooth at all? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
What kind of cranks are on there? There is a Stages version just for spin bikes that may or could work. That would work nicely with zwift actually. Otherwise the pedal base power option. Single side would probably be just fine to save money.

Not sure at the moment. But anybody have a link to a Stages crank arm that would fit on that spin bike? That might be something she'd do.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know what, I'm not sure where you can buy one. I recall someone selling it on eBay as a stand alone left side crank arm only once.
Quote Reply