Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Canada/Whistler - Road Bike v Tri Bike
Quote | Reply
I know this has been somewhat touched upon in the IM Canada bike thread, but I'd love to get more direct feedback from the community on this. I did this IM back in 2016 on the old course and found my tri bike with a compact useful, but considering the change in the course this year and the added over all elevation, at what point is it worth bringing the road bike and doing this the old fashioned way? I just can't see myself getting into a good rhythm on the new course and I'm finding myself wondering if a lighter bike and easier gear changes would equate to a better experience over the aero advantage.

I realize this is somewhat subjective, but I'm just looking for more data to drive my decision and would welcome any feedback.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler - Road Bike v Tri Bike [dadbodforlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, if you want data, nothing will beat bestbikesplit.com

The 2018 course is in there.

At my weight (170lbs) and FTP (320) riding at 70% (224 watts) using the same wheels, watts, helmet, tires, etc.

Tri bike: 5:44
Road bike (hoods): 5:51
Road bike (clip on aero bars): 5:46

Note that this difference is way, way lower than other courses like Texas, where the difference in calculation between bikes was nearly 20 minutes.

So if there's any course to ride a road bike, Whistler is one of them.

However, to summarize -- tri bike is faster.

Also note: this is about 25 minutes slower than last year's course.
Last edited by: randomtriguy: Mar 21, 18 15:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there for the 70.3 and I plan on using my road bike, however I made this decision knowing that BBS quoted me as 5 minutes slower on the road bike. For me it boils down to two things, one is knowing I am not as comfortable climbing on my tribike as my road bike, likely because of the added drop of the bull horns versus road hoods and two is much more important, I can comfortably fly down any descent tucked away on my road bike, mainly because in tuck, I can reach my brakes. On the tri bike, a comfortable tuck means not having fingers on my brakes and if I were to have my hands on brakes, I would not be as comfortable nor as in control. I may only save 30 seconds or so by descending more confidently on the road bike and still be 4+ minutes slower but I am less confident I would be able to run as well off the tri bike as I would off the road with as much climbing as this involves. Oh and I guess it helps that I also am not fast enough to be aiming for a podium so it doesn't really matter much anyway... If I were aiming for a podium, I'd stick with tri

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler - Road Bike v Tri Bike [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking the same way right now, I'm normally a 6 to 6:30 rider so I'm not chasing the podium any time soon. I'm comfortable descending on the tri-bike, but I just picture myself more comfortable sitting up in my climbing position, especially later in the race, on the road bike. Considering the course I'm thinking that treating the bike section cautiously and saving myself for the run will mean a better overall time then chasing the few minutes aero advantage from the tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here. I was 6:00 on the old course. Broke out the tri bike the last couple weekends, and noted that if not in aero there aren't that many comfortable positions to be in. Road bike gives me more options.

That said, we are going to spend a majority of time back and forth on 99, and as I recall there are lots of opportunities to be in aero. The Callaghan and Alta Lake Road out and backs appear to be sort (ALR about 9 miles total).

Joining in however as a completer, not a competitor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I am going to use my road bike and approach the ride like it’s a no drafting Gran Fondo.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler - Road Bike v Tri Bike [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25 minutes slower is MASSIVE!!!

I expected it to be a bit slower, but DAMN!!!

I might have to start doing some thinking.....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler - Road Bike v Tri Bike [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For my understanding, does Best Bike Split consider sitting upright when climbing above a certain percentage or is it always assuming TT position (or drops)? Also doing IM Canada and been wondering as well if this would be the one course where a road bike could be better due to faster descending, more comfortable climbing, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada/Whistler - Road Bike v Tri Bike [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
For my understanding, does Best Bike Split consider sitting upright when climbing above a certain percentage or is it always assuming TT position (or drops)? Also doing IM Canada and been wondering as well if this would be the one course where a road bike could be better due to faster descending, more comfortable climbing, etc.

In the advanced settings for each race you can specify the speed at which you would go upright but not the climbing grade (which would be a helpful option since speed can be affected by so many other factors). Outside of that, the general setting on position can be applied to each bike and I find that worked fairly well as I started out with mostly upright and then getting comfortable in aero.

I think we all need to remember that this is an individual choice. I think if I trained more outdoors & climbing on my tri bike, I would certainly use that because it will almost always be faster, even on this course and even if for a few minutes. Some people are just more comfortable period on their tri bikes and if so, great for them because it's going to be faster all else equal. I don't say this as some aero expert, I say this as an STer who has always read every thread on Road vs Tri in hilly courses because I always want an excuse to use my road! and in every single thread, an aero expert chimes in and explains that it is faster by absolute time which leads to the question of personal choice regarding comfort and ability to run off the bike.

Btw, the only issue i have had with BBS is that the descending speeds they estimate are always significantly less than real life. I don't know if it is just me being more confident but I'd be curious to know if anyone else thinks the same

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your goal is to be out on the course longer, then by all means use a road bike.
Otherwise, use a tri bike.
Quote Reply