Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Conti 4000s II worn or good?
Quote | Reply
I have a 25C Conti 4000S II on my bike right now.
The wear indicators are still visible meaning I should have some time left on the tread.
However, the sidewalls have consistent marks (every inch or so?) on both sides that look like you can see the body underneath.
Also the white writing has turned into a big white smudge.
I've never seen sidewalls wear like this on a bike tire. It sort of looks like when you run a car tire with too low of pressure... the sidewalls get similar marks.
I've never ridden on this tire flat, so it's odd.
Is the tire toast?

Strangely, my front tire, which is a 23C looks pristine with only minor scuffing, but the wear indicators are almost gone. Will probably toss it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Conti 4000s II worn or good? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ride them unless it is an important race then use new tires.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden most of my GP4000's until the tube became visible........I think I holding onto them about a mile too long. Nothing a little duct tape didn't fix until I made it home to mount a new tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do they rub on the side of your stays? My previous model Cannondale Evo a 23mm Conti runs about 25mm on a wide rim and they rubbed if the rim was not perfectly true with the flex on hills or under power and wore the sides. I have the new evo and fits the 25 with clearance. I still ran them until they were fully worn with the rub on the side walls.`
Quote Reply
Re: Conti 4000s II worn or good? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Do they rub on the side of your stays? My previous model Cannondale Evo a 23mm Conti runs about 25mm on a wide rim and they rubbed if the rim was not perfectly true with the flex on hills or under power and wore the sides. I have the new evo and fits the 25 with clearance. I still ran them until they were fully worn with the rub on the side walls.`

Good point, my GP4000II 25's measure as 27's on the old and narrow style rim (Shimano C24's 7900 which I think are 17mm internal 21 external). On the new wider rims I'm guessing these could measure 28+.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you could have a tire that wasn't properly vulcanized. I am cheap, so as long as there is some rubber on the center of the tire and the casing doesn't have any strange bumps or bulges, which would indicate an internal structural failure, I would just keep using it as a training tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I decided to toss the 25C tire. The centre of the tire has that distinctive flat spot despite the wear indicator showing some life.
I was really thrown off how much the sides of both tires wear so you can see the internal weave.
I'm not sure if that makes the sidewalls much weaker or what.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every GP Conti 4000 I've owned does the same with the sidewall. As for the white writing smudging I attribute that to friction with the pave from cornering. I only say this as I had a new tire that had "smudging" of the white writing after a particularly tight/technical criterium. I've never experienced any problems with the 4000 series after years and years of running them in high heat as well...
Quote Reply
Re: Conti 4000s II worn or good? [woodys737] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woodys737 wrote:
Every GP Conti 4000 I've owned does the same with the sidewall. As for the white writing smudging I attribute that to friction with the pave from cornering. I only say this as I had a new tire that had "smudging" of the white writing after a particularly tight/technical criterium. I've never experienced any problems with the 4000 series after years and years of running them in high heat as well...

Good to know. I have raced a few crits on these tires, plus I'm a fairly aggressive in corners in regular riding.
I just wanted to be confident in the tires as I'm doing a fairly remote 175km ride next week that includes about 15km of very rough pavement.
With a new 25 on the back, and some decent life left in the front 23 I think I'll be fine.
Quote Reply