Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Elites Turned Coaches...Get Educated, and Continue to Educate Yourselves
Quote | Reply
It has always been a concern of mine that the vast majority elites who become coaches pose a risk - especially to the new triathlete and the intermediate triathlete (which is to say, nearly every body in the sport). A risk that they speak over the head of their athletes or coach too narrowly to reach many different needs of athletes. This is probably true for all sports but let's stay with triathlon for a minute.

I was watching this clip of John Oliver being interview by Seth Meyers. They were talking about Oliver's recent piece on cryptocurrency, how he knew nothing going in, wanted to keep it basic even as his knowledge grew. John Oliver made this statement: "you have to remember what you were like before [you knew anything]...." and this is the crux of my concern. You can see it here if you like

I've been thinking about this more lately for 2 reasons...
1) Because Slowtwitch Coaching is doing two day clinic that gives coaches the skills to teach new and intermediate (and advanced) triathletes how to be better swimmers. We're doing in D.C. on May 18 & 19 (you can read more about there at http://www.slowtwitch.com/coaching/) and I'm hoping that more elites who are either retired, retiring, or trying to do both at the same time - race as an elite and coach, will attend this clinic.
2) Because I was leading coaching education three weeks ago and Michellie Jones was in the course. I have such respect for any coach who chases knowledge, yearns to be better, who stays on the never ending pursuit. AND even more from a former elite turned coach to keep on the path of improving themselves in this vain. Michellie is perhaps an extreme example of this because of the quality of her resume. Also, at the last Slowtwitch Swim Coaches Clinic (at Tri Business International in Tempe), USAT Level 3 coach Mike Ricci was in the room and that was just brilliant too because he's such a venerable, respected coach - and that's probably due in part to the fact that he keeps on with his education.

So, here's my shout out to elites who have turned to coaching...keep learning, stay open to other concepts/styles/systems. The path you walked to great success might not be the best path for the athletes you'll come to know.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Elites Turned Coaches...Get Educated, and Continue to Educate Yourselves [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
The path you walked to great success might not be the best path for the athletes you'll come to know.

Which is the general problem. Too many great athletes got to were they are at all taking different paths and are too often willing to lean on their own path as the "right" path. The best coaches keep an open-mind and understand there are many ways up that mountain and help guide their athletes up that mountain given their own unique circumstances/background/genetics/goals/timeline etc.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Elites Turned Coaches...Get Educated, and Continue to Educate Yourselves [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you and to put a finer point on just a few of the ways this plays out...

Elite was into major volume, was successful and needlessly pushes their athlete into as many training hours as they can while ignoring other key aspects that their unique athlete needs.

Elite thrived on intensity and guides their athlete into intensity too early and too often and is unable to see that the athlete needs more aerobic hours.

Elite had natural feel for water or perfect run form and doesn't realize the lack thereof in the athlete...gets frustrated at limited development and frequent injuries - all of which could have been avoided with more work on technique

Elite was a beginner at age 7, pro by 23 starts coaching at age 37 and cannot even imagine the fundamental issues that adult new athlete is contemplating.

Even for me - a coach who was not an elite triathlete - I raced BMX as a kid, mountain in my teens, road/tt/cross as an adult. When I work with a beginner rider I have to back up, empathize, discuss, and contemplate what they need at their point in their process. Education helps so much with this.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Elites Turned Coaches...Get Educated, and Continue to Educate Yourselves [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great stuff Ian. Hope to see you again soon, it has been way too long. Completely agree with what you have said. Our job is to educate our athletes, and to educate them we must constantly be educating ourselves while understanding that knowledge and science in our field is fluid.