Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting argument to be had:
Is it more demanding to do ten sprint swims or ten of the “brutal” ones like 400 IM. I really don’t know and can see it either way. It seems to me like you’d have more chance recovering from more aerobic events, but I’m not sure. (There’s a reason I’m an endurance swimmer)
Tall swimmer? What say you?

monty wrote:
I doubt we'll see him in 11 events in Tokyo, but I'm confident he'll be in at least 7 and maybe as many as 9. And he'll have plenty of stamina. He swam 8 events at the 2017 LC Worlds, and still crushed the field with his fly split on the 4x100 medley relay on the last day of the meet. //

Point taken about the difference in schedules between NCAA and the games. But we did get to see that there is a bottom to his endurance, whether he chooses to bump up against that at the games will be a hairline calculation. He can win some events like Phelps did without being 100%, and he has the ability to sandbag a little more( I dont think he did enough in this past meet in his individual events)

I hope he at least goes for 9 events, I think that would be a minimum for him thinking about what he should be able to do. The next two, well maybe try something out at worlds or trials to see where he would be at...
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, I would want to know the exact order of events, I think every once in awhile the move one or two around. Certainly they have to integrate two more relays this games, so the schedule will not be like any other.

I think Caleb's program might be just a tad bit easier because he can concentrate on sprinting alone. Michael had to do both when he had the 400IM and individual 200 free. Not sure I would call going 4;03 in the 400IM aerobic..(-;

It is going to be a really fun, but really complicated puzzle for a coach having Caleb on your team. I mean, does he swim fly, or free on the medley relay? For sure he should not be swimming any relay prelims, we certainly should have enough horse power to slot him to the finals. But it makes me wonder if the mixed relays will have the same rules, can you sub out in the prelims as long as you have 2 from each sex? And of course those relays will be the most complicated, trying to figure out what splits from what sex, gets you the fastest time. Do you sacrifice a tiny bit of time to be out front and ahead of the wave?

Its gonna be fun to be a fan when this gets closer and we know who is going good..
Quote Reply
Re: Dressel's Coronation - Men's NCAA Champs Chatter [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
Interesting argument to be had:
Is it more demanding to do ten sprint swims or ten of the “brutal” ones like 400 IM. I really don’t know and can see it either way. It seems to me like you’d have more chance recovering from more aerobic events, but I’m not sure. (There’s a reason I’m an endurance swimmer)

I think that at the Olympic level, the distance events take a little more out the swimmers than the sprints. Then again, the sprinters have to swim more times. The individual 50, 100s, and 200's are 3 rounds (prelims morning, semis that evening, finals the next evening), while the 400's, 800, and 1500 are only two rounds; the 400s are prelims morning, finals that same evening, while the 800 & 1500 are prelims morning, finals the next evening. Also, a top sprinter is going to be on 3, maybe 4 relays, while the distance swimmer might be on the 4x200, if any relay at all. Phelps was a rare exception who swam the 400 IM and all 3 relays. (4th relay opportunity will be new in 2020).

For me, personally, I have the most difficulty recovering from a 200 free. If I actually had the stamina to "race" a 400 IM, it might be that event, but, when I do it, it's more like a 100 yards/meters of butterfly where I try to go easy, then 300 yards/meters of multi-stroke recovery from the 100 fly that crushed me even though I tried to go easy.

monty wrote:
Ya, I would want to know the exact order of events, I think every once in awhile the move one or two around. Certainly they have to integrate two more relays this games, so the schedule will not be like any other. .

Yeah, the order of events will be key. They have to accommodate one more relay (mixed free relay, only; no mixed medley at the Olympics) as well as two more distance events (mens 800, women's 1500). I think we can safely say it's a metaphysical certitude that Dressel will be in the 50 free, 100 free, and 100 fly, as well as the three 400M relays. I'd like to think he's in the 800M free relay, too, but there's a LOT of young talent in the 200 free so I'm far from certain. I think his prospects outside of that are best in the 200 IM. (Interestingly, he says he trained IM all college season, and didn't work on sprints until taper). In 2016, however, the 200 IM finals were in the same session as the 50 free and 100 fly semifinals. I don't know if he goes for the 200 IM if that's the case again; especially if the IM is the third of those three swims. On the other hand, the 100 breast was is no conflict with any of his 3 base events in 2016. Maybe that's why he gave that a stab late in the NCAA season.

Its going to be very interesting to see how this all develops.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 26, 18 18:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next