Quote | Reply
FIP’s go home!

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
The Bay of Fundy is cold, but New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI have beaches with water warm enough to go Speedo for a workout. Can't speak to Newfoundland.

I've lived in Atlantic Canada all my life. Nova Scotia is beautiful, and a great place to train from mid-June to October. Not a lot of traffic, beautiful scenery, rolling hills, etc. Same for New Brunswick.

Newfoundland, beautiful place, awesome people, but the weather sucks. I grew up there, and I'd never go back on account of the weather. Great place to visit, if you can time it with the 2-3 weeks of summer they get.

https://trigeek1969.blogspot.ca
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [novaboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for almost anywhere in NH, VT or ME. I live in the lakes region of NH, and summers are perfect. Hottest days you will see are high 80s sometimes (like 5 times a year) hitting 90. Typical days are mid high 70s. Nights are 50s.

You can ride bikes on flats or climbs all the way to Canada without hitting a red light, I swim in a mountain lake that has water clarity to 35 feet, and you have awesome other choices such as hiking and MTBing. The drivers are really good with bikes. To me it is perfect. There are numerous tri club activities and group rides. We even have a local weekly TT series that alternates between a flat and a hillclimb.

The only negatives like there are everywhere is some roads can be pretty rough, and there are some bug periods that effect different activities.
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To echo all the other NH/VT votes. I live in the Upper Valley right on the border of the two states. White and Green Mountains are both great. Plenty of trail running if u prefer trails. Awesome climbs with few cars and most people aren’t accepting of bikes. And the lakes are gorgeous. As another poster said visibility is often to the bottom of then lake in 20-30 ft waters. Temps are very moderate too
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BRRRH

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
hodgey wrote:
If you were to spend 3-4 months living anywhere in North America each year for the Summer with a view to having a great training and outdoors environment, where would you choose and why?

What are you training for? I love Phoenix, it's hell on earth in the summer. However, if it's specifically for Kona...it's super hot and brutally humid. Perfect combo.

If you think Phoenix is humid, you’ve obviously never trained in Florida.
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
hodgey wrote:
If you were to spend 3-4 months living anywhere in North America each year for the Summer with a view to having a great training and outdoors environment, where would you choose and why?

What are you training for? I love Phoenix, it's hell on earth in the summer. However, if it's specifically for Kona...it's super hot and brutally humid. Perfect combo.

Georgia was the next best thing...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
hodgey wrote:

Actually. at 115-120 degrees and 50 or 60% humidity there is actually more moisture in the air than in Florida.

Also, if you think Florida is humid, you've obviously never trained in Louisiana in the summer.
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Skyline Chili wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
hodgey wrote:

Actually. at 115-120 degrees and 50 or 60% humidity there is actually more moisture in the air than in Florida.

Also, if you think Florida is humid, you've obviously never trained in Louisiana in the summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Skyline Chili wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
hodgey wrote:

Avg humidity in Phoenix year round is 37. It’s 76 in Miami.

And FL is the most humid state since it surrounded by the warm Gulf water and the Atlantic.
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [hodgey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Pacifc Coast... outer suburbs of Vancouver, Victoria, Nanaimo...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to throw what might seem like a strange one out there - Alaska. It's light all day. You have forever to train. I get done with work at 5 and can still get a 7-hour ride in if I feel like it. Tons of trails, not too many people. Lots of great races, some of which are pretty unique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:

Avg humidity in Phoenix year round is 37. It’s 76 in Miami.

And FL is the most humid state since it surrounded by the warm Gulf water and the Atlantic.

This is about the Summer, who cares about the average.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not that this is a contest in any way, but i grew up (and it's still my family's home) in the most humid city in the US. makes miami look like a joke.

the humidity in the summer in southern az during the monsoon season is for real. people who mock it or don't believe it get destroyed by it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
South Lake Tahoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Phoenix most of the year and 2-3 months in Nova Scotia on St Margaret's Bay. I have done this for many years. NS in the summer is very nice. I mostly do water sports and not triathlon training when I am there. Not a particularly good place for road cycling (narrow roads, no shoulder) but excellent gravel and mountain biking.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to vote Banff/Lake louise...very close second would be the North Van/Squamish corridor

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: North America Summer Living [SVxHR=CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SVxHR=CO wrote:
To echo all the other NH/VT votes. I live in the Upper Valley right on the border of the two states. White and Green Mountains are both great. Plenty of trail running if u prefer trails. Awesome climbs with few cars and most people aren’t accepting of bikes. And the lakes are gorgeous. As another poster said visibility is often to the bottom of then lake in 20-30 ft waters. Temps are very moderate too

My mom lives right by there. Agreed - tons of trail running, and also tons of runs on "roads" which can range from paved to gravel to "reallly? people drive cars on this." I imagine that it's great mountain biking too. There seem to be a places where you can do some form of open water swimming. And the cycling - as long as you don't need things to be flat - the cycling is amazing.

You just need to not really need to see people that often.
Also, for some of the trails to run on (or mtb), probably best to be sure to have someone with you. It gets pretty remote out there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next