Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HOA - treasurer duties
Quote | Reply
This is the first time I've ever lived in a place with an HOA. There's been a history of dysfunctional boards and little getting done, there's also vendors who will no longer deal with our building. We've recently had elections and I am now on the board and we are all wanting to turn things around, get projects done and make the community a better place.

They asked me to act as treasurer since they never had one. One board member does most of the work for the financials but can't officially be treasurer because of her full time job. I guess her company would have to audit or look into what she's doing.

I made it clear that I know nothing about financials or being a treasurer. My wife does everything for the past 19 years. I don't pay bills, do taxes or even open mail. I just take care of the kids/house hold and ride my bike.

So, does anyone out there have any experience and can tell me whats expected? What do residents expect from their treasurer at each monthly board meeting? Who is responsible for the taxes, the CPA? How much should our management company be doing?
Quote Reply
Re: HOA - treasurer duties [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
There's been a history of dysfunctional boards

They asked me to act as treasurer since they never had one.

I made it clear that I know nothing about financials or being a treasurer. My wife does everything for the past 19 years. I don't pay bills, do taxes or even open mail.

Take those 3 statements together and the result is: Your fucked! No wonder there is dysfunction.
Quote Reply
Re: HOA - treasurer duties [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
damn lucky wrote:

I made it clear that I know nothing about financials or being a treasurer. My wife does everything for the past 19 years. I don't pay bills, do taxes or even open mail.

Take those 3 statements together and the result is: Your fucked! No wonder there is dysfunction.

Given this, let the dysfunction continue. Go to those suppliers and give them a second chance, for a fee. Call it your "widow & orphans fund" (sounds better than "kids college fund"). If there is no pay, then there is no play, which they will get quickly. Make sure you spread some of the wealth to the other board members. HOA's...such wonderful (in)competence.
Quote Reply
Re: HOA - treasurer duties [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
damn lucky wrote:

Given this, let the dysfunction continue. Go to those suppliers and give them a second chance, for a fee. Call it your "widow & orphans fund" (sounds better than "kids college fund"). If there is no pay, then there is no play, which they will get quickly. Make sure you spread some of the wealth to the other board members. HOA's...such wonderful (in)competence.
This. Get ready for the non-paying owners to blame you and everyone else on the board for EVERYTHING related to finances. If you keep the job, be assertive at all times and do not discuss anything over the phone, keep a record of all electronic exchanges and do not take the problems of others to bed with you. I was president of my HOA for a few years because most of the owners are incompetent. They would call and try to engage in circular conversations that were absolutely pointless then get pissed when I would hang up the phone. One went so far as to call from Canada to discuss some bullshit payment plan with me. I refused to call back and via email told him to pay or quit. He paid and still blames me for stuff that was out of my control. You know that people are funny and odd but the world of HOA will set it all in stone.

Quote | Reply
The internet has lots on hoa management....one that I bookmarked was this

https://www.buildium.com/...oa-property-manager/

Does not directly address treasurer duties but google and there must be rules out there.

I have done it for now 2d year, 37 residents. We use Quickbooks (not too difficult to learn). Basically you collect dues and in all likelihood pay typical expenses like landscaping, pool, utilities, cable, insurance, janitorial, repairs, etc. we are self managed so unless you have someone who is retired and has time the logistics of overseeing work and meeting contractors can be difficult. You may then need a property management company, but ours sucked so we do it ourselves. But many young families avoid serving like the plague.....work, kids school and athletics etc.

On taxes, if you had cpa as resident it is simple unless you have accumulated huge reserves and are making investments. Our local cpa does our simple ass tax return for $300, cheap and I can rest.

Since you will be handling money and just about all activities relate to money, then next thing they'll push your way is supervision. Homey don't play that...I have no mechanical aptitude and really don't relish working with trade folks. But that is just me.

Prepare financial reports and budget for annual meeting.

Set up web page for residents for general info on financials, insurance policies, covenants etc

We use emails to communicate amongst 3 officers on various issues and notify others of expenditures. QBs allows other officers to look At financials, but only you should make entries (2 many cooks).

If you have healthy reserves and inexperienced with accounting, get some early help.

Also, when late pay and violations occur you send invoice and people will bitch.

We have nothing but professionals in our development but trying to get someone to help on a subject like property insurance, everyone is all thumbs.

Good luck, find a good prez and secretary and you'll make it ok. If prez is pia, it will be long year.

But there are many hoa sites, just google to get feet wet.

Good luck. Put $$in your budget for better, smarter residents too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how other HOA's operate, but when I was on our board for 3 years the treasurer really just informed us of what the accountant would report, and keep track of the bank account. Treasurer could not even sign checks, only he president and the secretary (my position) could actually sign checks.

When everyone was figuring out which job would go to who I just said I didn't want to be president, no knowing at the time that secretary had the most work and responsibilities day to day. And like our US system, the no nothing, do nothing job was the Vice President, that's the job I really wanted...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: HOA - treasurer duties [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all that advice.

We're a high rise with 120 units, so we have a full time management company with an onsite manager and an on site live in maintenance man.

We have one resident who has over seen the financials for awhile and now a new board member that wants to be much more involved.

I'm stuck between these two people. As a resident, what would you want your treasurer to report at the monthly meetings. Our bills are paid, our reserves are fine, we don't have resident not paying their fees, so what am I to say? I feel like I'm just a figure head for these other two people and I'm looking for outside guides for what I should be looking after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want a professional handling the financials and the taxes. The company that manages our property also manages the financials. I highly suggest working on a long term budget. What legally constitutes fully funded for an HOA is very low and that can lead to special assessments which tend to piss people off. Ideally you'd like to know all your projected expenses for a good ten years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://blog.hignell.com/...-hoa-board-treasurer

As u stated...what would average joe want to know?

How are we doing financially.......since in high rise try to find out about reserve strength and future costs. We had a Capital Reserve Analysis prepared professionally. Any sPecial assessments on horizon.....shouldn't if you have GOOD MGMT co.

What are dues likely to do over next few years. Any big rebids on horizon like elevators or hvac

Avoid surprises if u can.....

Depending how often officers meet make like columbo(ask lots of questions first few times) until comfortable with management company.
Last edited by: tyrod1: Mar 20, 18 16:05
Quote Reply