Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bikeflight -would definitely use again, but FedEx handling is pretty rough
Quote | Reply
The tl;dr version: bikeflight, good; FedEx, rough handling, Endurance House in Sarasota, they rock.

Lessons learned: would definitely use bikeflight agani, but will add 1-2 days to their estimate for transit time, and use tough/hard case instead of soft case.

Now the long version:

After a few times using the Ruster case and playing the "not a bike" game with United, I decided it's just not worth the hassle for the last trip. So I used Bikeflight instead to ship the bike to/pick up from the hotel.

I used a Biknd Helium v4 case to pack the bike and one set of wheels, inflated the airbladders, and everything is pretty much packed as instructed by Biknd's video. In addition to the standard insurance, I also bought some additional insurance to cover the value of the bike. It turns out to be about $35 each way. But given the value of the bike/wheel, I thought it's worth the peace of mind.

The bike was delivered half a day late: instead of the end of the day on Wed, it delivered at about 11am the next day. Since I needed the bike that afternoon, it wasn't a big deal and that's why I factored in the extra day. I was in contact with Bikeflight and they were very helpful in tracking down the bike and ensure FedEx deliver the bike in the morning.

After unpacking and during the process of putting the bike together, I noticed the derailleur hanger was bent - outward. Upon further inspection, it was actually broken. In addition, there were a few bunch of scrapes on the right side seatstay above the derailleur hanger. It was really surprising to me how FedEx managed to do that - the Biknd case protects the bike with airbladders and pads. The derailleur hanger and right side seatstay should be well protected inside. All I could think of is that the case hit something hard at an angle right at that corner of the case.

Needless to say, I spent the afternoon frantically trying to locate a derailleur hanger, and thanks to the good folks of Endurance House in Sarasota (Jim/Jen), they were willing to take a derailleur hanger off a brand new Cervelo in the store, and off we go. I also reported the issues with Bikeflight, and they were very responsive in telling me what to do in terms of the claim process, should I decide to file for one.

For the return leg, I decided to be safe and remove the entire derailleur with the hanger for shipping. The bike got back home ok, but the Biknd case, which was practically new before this trip, was pretty banged up. There are couple of rips, looking like someone at FedEx dragged it across some rough surface. For the claim process with Bikeflight, I had to send them some pictures of the damaged derailleur hanger as well as the scrapes to the bike frame, along with an estimated cost of repair. The processed the claim very quickly with no questions asked, the refund was paid within a week of the claim.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikeflight -would definitely use again, but FedEx handling is pretty rough [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad it worked out for you and I hope you have a good race. I always remove the rear DR when I travel with my bike. Another good practice is to travel with a spare DR hanger, spare seatpost clamp, and spare bolts. You never know when that precaution might save your race.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikeflight -would definitely use again, but FedEx handling is pretty rough [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed... that's another lesson learned, bring a spare derailleur hanger.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikeflight -would definitely use again, but FedEx handling is pretty rough [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does Bike Flights actually do? I looked into them for a race and it said "package the bike and drop it off at UPS or FedEx" and then it arrives at either your hotel where you put it together or at a bike shop that puts it together. They don't package it, ship it, or build it, so what do they do?
Quote Reply
Re: Bikeflight -would definitely use again, but FedEx handling is pretty rough [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They ship it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikeflight -would definitely use again, but FedEx handling is pretty rough [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They simply sell you a pre-paid FedEx label. If you don't have access to highly discounted FedEx rates, it's a pretty good deal. They basically negotiated the high volume rates that big companies can get and then send you the label in PDF form directly. It's a straight up FedEx label billed to their account that you pay for up front through BikeFlight's website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good info, thanks. Do you mind if I ask how much insurance you bought? I was once told that anything insured over about a grand would be treated with kid gloves because FedEx/ups didn't want to deal with claims and whatnot. Sounds like your story is putting that myth to bed.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikeflight -would definitely use again, but FedEx handling is pretty rough [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought insurance up to $3500. So yeah, that’s a myth. I don’t think fedex cared. Maybe a big fragile label next time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
I bought insurance up to $3500. So yeah, that’s a myth. I don’t think fedex cared. Maybe a big fragile label next time.
Agreed. They heavily damaged one of my bikes during shipping once and were a huge PITA to deal with concerning the claim. It was obvious the box had been run over by a forklift or something similar. I wouldn't use them again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any time I pack a bike in any case I always remove the rear derailleur, wrap it in a small towel and tape it to the chainstay. I expect the case to be dropped at every available opportunity.

I also put spacers between the rear drop-outs and fork legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikeflight -would definitely use again, but FedEx handling is pretty rough [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad it worked out in the end.

For those taking note.......Between here and Bikeradar forums............this is thread number bazillion without removing the RD and using a soft case that resulted in problems.

-Hard case
-Still remove parts like RD and hanger
-For extra security, add a threaded rod with nuts/wing nuts between the fork legs and the rear of the bike to support those areas from flex/impacts

I do say, even with a hard case the shipping option seems better than airlines because at the airport the bungling idiots of TSA/handling will probably have to take a peek.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikeflight -would definitely use again, but FedEx handling is pretty rough [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Any time I pack a bike in any case I always remove the rear derailleur, wrap it in a small towel and tape it to the chainstay. I expect the case to be dropped at every available opportunity.

This.... when I raced in Omaha and used Bikeflights my derailleur was bent/cracked on the way in. Thankfully Omaha has two Trek Factory stores... new hanger bought and installed AND completely broken off on the trip home. Was using a hard sided clam shell type bike case at the time.

Since then I remove the whole derailleur and put a spacer in the fork and rear drop out. Otherwise I really dislike shipping my bike even though Bikeflights is a a great service... I've put "Fragile" stickers on the box and that doesn't seem to help.

Not a fan of all of these different ways of shipping my bike and other people handling my $$$ bike. Most frustrating part of travel/races IME.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rear derailleur was removed and in its own pouch, but the derailleur hanger was not. But now I know and I will take the whole hanger off as well. If you know how secure and well protected the frame is with the Bikend Helium case, it really take some effort to do what they managed to do.

I think I will go with a hardshell case next time. I will post another thread to seek some opinions on which one to get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I worked for FedEx for 20 years and shipped bike cases and just about everything with them. One item that is very important is the acceptable packaging guidelines in the FedEx Service Guide. The problematic issue for a customer is that the shipment may be received by a FedEx person even though it isn't 'packaged properly.' I think FedEx would probably say that it wasn't properly packaged and make a decision based on that.

They do have an executive support team that is easy to find contact info online. They may be more considerate of your individual case.

I shipped hard bike cases domestically and internationally many times without an issue (other than trying to get Austria to let me swim up to the dock to get my bike during the Danube flood in 2004. I told them that we drop in by helicopter in the States to make things happen! (the flood did recede enough to get the bike in time)

I'm a fanatic about customer service and listening to the customer and helping in any way I can. I hope you can find someone who will at least hear what you have to say and your experience shipping with them. I always use the 'attract bees with honey, not vinegar' approach.

Good luck!

Mark

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also had issues with FedEx regarding a trip to Sarasota in which I dropped off my bike on 3/11. I'm guessing you were down there for the ITU Continental Cup as well.

Similarly, BikeFlights was great. No problem there.

FedEx delivered my bike at home in Kentucky almost 24 hours late. The case (Trico Iron Case) was strapped up quite loosely when it was delivered even though I had cranked it down very tight when I dropped it off. I also had a lot of clothing items in the box that are now missing, as if they were dropped out or discarded when the box was opened (and presumably inspected...is that even a thing?). I've got a claim in with FedEx now.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikeflight -would definitely use again, but FedEx handling is pretty rough [TransyTriCoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TransyTriCoach wrote:

FedEx delivered my bike at home in Kentucky almost 24 hours late. The case (Trico Iron Case) was strapped up quite loosely when it was delivered even though I had cranked it down very tight when I dropped it off. I also had a lot of clothing items in the box that are now missing, as if they were dropped out or discarded when the box was opened (and presumably inspected...is that even a thing?). I've got a claim in with FedEx now.
Had that happen too... seemingly like the case had been opened and I was missing some tools. I know they were there because I'd used them at the race and then packed them back in the case for the return trip. I never pursued because it seemed like a lost cause.

Your mention just reminded me of that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
After a few times using the Ruster case and playing the "not a bike" game with United

Did you run into this regularly? I've flown with my Ruster three times (six total legs). Around half the time the counter agent recognized it as a bicycle. Never a discussion on excess fees though given the size and weight of the bag. None of those flights were United though.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of BikeFlights, it's basically a numbers game with shipping your bike, eventually something will happen. In the one instance that I had to deal with a claim through BikeFlights, they were attentive and quick in making sure it was resolved.

Also, internationally, if you ever need to ship something, their rates are good... but they handle all of the customs forms, etc. which is a big plus.

*I don't work for them ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Bikeflight -would definitely use again, but FedEx handling is pretty rough [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
dalava wrote:
After a few times using the Ruster case and playing the "not a bike" game with United

Did you run into this regularly? I've flown with my Ruster three times (six total legs). Around half the time the counter agent recognized it as a bicycle. Never a discussion on excess fees though given the size and weight of the bag. None of those flights were United though.

It's literally luck of the draw for me... agents of United in Seattle dinged me pretty much every time - not as a bike but as oversized luggage. I think curbside check in may also have better chance of not having to deal with the questioning. But I am just sick of playing the game. And in addition, airlines don't offer any kind of insurance at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikeflight -would definitely use again, but FedEx handling is pretty rough [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UPS has a seperate handling procedure for the packages insured for $5k and up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

This.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply