Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Etap tuning tips
Quote | Reply
I am a new etap guy (and sram road in general) and have just a handful of rides on the road setup. No blips and I won't use them.

I had about 30,000 miles on DA9000 mech previously. I had one chain drop ever and it was a operator error at a high wattage big to small shift. I've thrown the chain over the big ring 3-4 times now on the etap. I assume I've got setup issues, but have watch the vid and everything lines up nicely. Rear shifting isn't lightening fast either, but I know I have a slight indexing adjustment to make yet. I'm running the red crank but just a rival cassette for now. I've heard rumors that Shimano cassettes might shift better / faster with the etap.

I also notice the etap seems slightly slower than DA9000 mech? Does that seem right. It almost seems that I MUST be patient with small to big front shifts or the chain will skip. I can't afford that in hilly crit races. Looking for any tips there on what guys do. Maybe that's why so few pros run etap...haha.

My reason for the switch was easy. No cables. I was ready to be done with cables forever period. That includes Shimano electric cables. I have zero issues with Shimano as it's always performed for me, but I just don't want to deal with cabling.

Thanks.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Etap tuning tips [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eTap will be slower due to wireless signal/shift compared to a cabled transmission. Just let off the gas a bit for any shift and you wont run into problems.

Here is a setup from GCN on eTap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PSYcHrWGww

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist , Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Etap tuning tips [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did two upgrades: tri bike from Ultegra mechanical to Ultegra Di2, and road bike from 105/DA mix to eTap. My eTap bike is SRAM Red (eTap) RD, RD, Crankset, and chain with a Force cassette.

Both shift crazy fast, and much faster than mechanical. I think Di2 may be slightly faster than eTap, but the difference is not that significant. I love them both and think they are perfectly matched to my respective applications.

I have only had a couple rides with my eTap, but it has been perfect. eTap's FD adjustment instructions are much better than Di2. I would re-do their instructions. If you have dumped your chain, that has to be a limit screw problem. The lines on the FD for alignment to the chaining are super clear, so give that and then the limit screw a double-check. I have shifted both under load while climbing some ugly hills. RD goes both directions very well. FD I have only gone big to small under load, but it was quick and smooth.
Quote Reply
Re: Etap tuning tips [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say that overshifting is quite common with E-tap. There is a thin line between not having chain rub when on the smallest sprocket and not having chain going off of the ring.
How sensitive it can be, probably depends on the crank-chainrings setup.
As much as I like E-tap, front derailleur is the weakest point of this system, imo. Having said this, maybe my rings are very demanding for E-tap (Rotor QXL and Osymetric...).
@ OP, try to play with limit screw making very small adjustments at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Etap tuning tips [1415chris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The FD eTap adjustment seems crazy-simple and basically identical to a mechnical FD. If even in the ballpark, it seems almost impossible to throw a chain over the big cog into the crank arms (if that is what I was understanding the OP to be saying). The outer plate of the FD cage should only be 0.5mm away from the chain when on the big chainring and smallest cog. If that adjustment is correct, overshifting would be virtually impossible. I could see how this might be affected by the angle of the cage, but again, eTap has guide lines etched into the top of the cage to make the angle very easy to sight against the chainring.

SRAM's installation and adjustment guide is explicit. I would not advocate playing with the limit screws in small adjustments. It is simply 0.5mm in the big-small chainring & cog combo and 0.5mm - 1.0mm in the small-big combo
cmscat50 wrote:
Rear shifting isn't lightening fast either, but I know I have a slight indexing adjustment to make yet. I'm running the red crank but just a rival cassette for now.
Back to the OP on RD shift speed... the microshift adjustment is definitely a factor here. I did all of my initial adjustments on the stand, but it was a little off during my first ride. I could sense it in the speed it took the chain to catch in the shifts, and I could hear a little chain noise. I did two microadjustment clicks during that initial ride, and it perfected it. One of the eTap beauties is the ease of doing RD microadjustments on the fly. (You can do it with Di2 also, but it is more difficult.)
Last edited by: exxxviii: Mar 21, 18 3:50
Quote Reply