Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How many walk the run [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Out of interest-how many of you have ended up walking some of the run leg in a full/half Ironman race? And was it due to lack of preparation, nutrition or just mentally giving up?

I’ve walked the aid stations in an olympic after overbiking in the heat.
Quote Reply
Re: How many walk the run [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I walk and plan to walk on the full distance, it is a brutal day and I am a horrible runner.

I generally shoot to walk through the aid stations and run between them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've walked the back half of 3-4 70.3's and mile 14-22 of my first Ironman. The half irons were effort related with heat, I went too hard on the bike and lost it on the run, plus in all cases it was hot and humid. For the full, I felt strong but my body decided 1/4 the way into the run that nothing was good and any flavor other than water would be returned to sender as puke. By mile 14 I was cooked, finally got some food and drink down around mile 20 and continued my deadman shuffle until around mile 22 when I got a jog together. Ran the chute like I won the race of course :)

Power meter + HR monitor has been the best luxury investments I have made into this sport.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I've walked parts of the run for both full and half distances. I don't think it's about lack of preparation, nutrition, or mentally giving up. It was just part of the plan in the first place. I'm not super-human and that's a long distance to race. Strategically walking the aid stations or walking steep inclines is none of those items you mentioned. Not sure why walking has to be viewed as some type of failure. For example, I was walking up the hill coming into Lake Placid faster that the athlete next to me who was running. For some people is like a badge to have not walked any portion of the course or it's some fault.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Out of interest-how many of you have ended up walking some of the run leg in a full/half Ironman race? And was it due to lack of preparation, nutrition or just mentally giving up?

I walked plenty in my first two half IM distance races, mostly due to the heat & humidity on race day. I walked only the water stops during my first full IM because I was better trained.
Quote Reply
Re: How many walk the run [FFigawi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I walked about 100m at Tempe Lifetime Tri on the second lap right before crossing the bridge, was embarrassing to myself because I knew then how bad my training was versus my time. I hadn't doing enough volume for the run leg of the race. I was shot...but hell, my training for Cactus Man has been better.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: How many walk the run [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
I'm more interested in who has never walked in an IM (aside from pros)

I do walking breaks of 30 seconds every 10 minutes following the Galloway method: but only until 30 km, then I just run. I guess these walking breaks (or the ones frodeno did at the aid stations) are not meant when the Threadowner asked how many walk the run.

So apart from these Galloway-brakes I never had to walk a marathon in an IM. But I do not think they are the reason I never HAVE to walk. I guess most of the people who can't run anymore are bonking. I is not mental. My theory is breakdowns in sport are in the end always physical, and are only supposed to be mentally caused.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had to walk a 70.3. In my first and only IM I had a plan of walking each aid station for 10 seconds then start running again. Best thing I could've done, the last 10k of my run was the quickest 10k of the marathon. Only by about 20 seconds, but still an awesome feeling finishing the marathon strong in your first IM and flying past people struggling!
Quote Reply
Re: How many walk the run [RJSuperfreaky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RJSuperfreaky wrote:

Just depends on your perspective. My first 70.3 I did the usual rookie mistake, overbiked, and blew up on the run after mile 2, eventually alternating walk/run every 0.2 miles. I definitely felt defeated then, even though I actually beat my goal time cutoff.

Subsequent 70.3's I've run the whole thing and felt great, but I was smarter and better trained.

For my (as of now) only full, I planned a run/walk strategy from the beginning, with the goal being for me to run longer and better for the whole race. Basically after every mile I walked for 1 minute, then ran again at my usual pace. Repeated this for the whole race, never had an issue, and had a much better run than many sloggers who ran a slower pace the whole way, or (worse yet) ran until they bonked and had a 10 mile hike. I definitely did not feel defeated, because I followed my plan, and it worked.

Then again, I knew I wasn't "racing" it. This is my hobby, not my job. Even being a competitive guy, I never felt this was a race against anyone but myself. How fast you finish a race is up to you and your training, but how you process that race is solely on you.

THis was me in a nutshell for my first. I did 4 min to 1 min run/walk as the plan (and the walks were not leisurely, would drop to about 15-16min/mi pace). This was the plan going in, and I knew that it would yield an acceptable time for me. Finished within about 30 min of standalone marathon time.

For my second, I walked from mile 18 in. The whole day was a mess. Left my bike SN bag at the room (luckily I had my juice, and just made my wife hand it off to me at the 1/2 way point). Wore the wrong shoes, and was a bit undertrained. Tried to just run it out without walking to boot and crashed and mailed it in at 18. Walking 8 miles is tough too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I walked the marathon at IM Florida this year because:
1. Got stung by some jelly-fish on both laps of the swim. Inhaled a bunch of water when it happened and spent the entire swim puking. Sorry whoever was behind me.
2. Three flats in the last 10 miles of the bike. Crap from road construction and debris on the last stretch of road. I was well on my way to a 30 minute bike split PR while staying well within my goal power and HR numbers, despite the jelly stings and vomiting.
3. Cramps/puking caught up with me and mentally I was just done by the first 10k, but I wanted to finish so I just walked the rest.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: How many walk the run [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some friends recently adopted the approach of 4KM run and 1min walk. They've managed to put a very impressive Marathon using this "method" running below 03h40min. Their coach suggests this 1min walk to proper eat and drink.

So 10min walk... Haven't tried, but looks interesting to avoid forgetting to eat/drink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Walked at some point on all 4 IM.
Due to cramps, GI distress (nutrition screw ups - too much, wrong type), dehydration at different levels at different points.

Hot shot takes care of the cramps now.
Focused on water intake on the bike.
Focused on the right nutrition during the run = less volume, better quality, better pacing at the start of the run to allow absorption.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: How many walk the run [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rotosound:
"I walked the marathon at IM Florida this year because:
1. Got stung by some jelly-fish on both laps of the swim. Inhaled a bunch of water when it happened and spent the entire swim puking. Sorry whoever was behind me.
2. Three flats in the last 10 miles of the bike. Crap from road construction and debris on the last stretch of road. I was well on my way to a 30 minute bike split PR while staying well within my goal power and HR numbers, despite the jelly stings and vomiting."

Ok, that is just a horrible race experience and you hadn't even gotten to the run! Good for you for gutting it out. I have a feeling some people wouldn't have left T2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Last edited by: IL2tri: Mar 22, 18 8:24
Quote Reply
Re: How many walk the run [IL2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I've walked in all my 1/2 & full IM. Usually get to the 5-6 mile mark then walk the aid station and run in between.
Quote Reply
Re: How many walk the run [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I’ve walked the aid stations in an olympic after overbiking in the heat.

I've walked in 2 Oly's. One was after a bike crash. made it 3 miles and walk ran the rest. Second was 90 degrees at the end of the summer when I had really started to slack on training. If I hadn't signed up months in advance I'd have never done it.

My one half was also a walk run. NOLA cancelled last fall and did Austin the next weekend instead. So a bit overtapered, definitely undertrained, not ready for a much hillier course (burned matches on hills), plus wife had a miscarriage right before. Really bad couple weeks and did the race just to cash in on the months of training and get my mind off of other things. Really enjoyed the experience, but there was no way I was getting through that without walking.

First full is IMTX in about a month. Going in with the intention to not walk, but I'm also not going to blow up and walk half the run leg just because I'm too proud to walk run.
Quote Reply
Re: How many walk the run [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow thanks for the responses so far everyone! As someone who is yet to race in a half or full I was under the impression that everyone pretty much run the whole way. Now it seems quite normal for periods of walking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's IM St. George 70.3 you WILL walk at least once. Guaranteed!

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most people walk at least some of the aid stations, so if your question is ' did you walk even a little bit' then most people do and can put up some fantastic times - even if you're just talking about the run.

If your question is did you walk a big portion of the run - there are a wide range of reasons ranging from strategy to weather to the reasons you posed in your question.

I've walked portions of two IM's outside of aid stations.
  • At IM St George the run had a LOT of vertical ( I think over 4,000 ft iirc ) and once I realized my time/ race goals were a miss, I walked the uphills which must have accounted for several miles.
  • At IM Boulder in 2015 the reservoir was a petri dish of e-coli from the surrounding cow pastures @ a blooming 75'. By halfway through bike I couldn't keep anything down and reached T2 with an upset GI and a calorie deficit. This was my home court ( I lived in Boulder then) and was very well prepared the weather and course... but I ended up walking much of the first 5 miles. After an hour of getting some calories and a few trips to the porta-johns ( sorry to the passing crowds - it was noisy!) I felt better and had a decent run for the last 15-18 miles.

At any IM race, there are racers and finishers. For the 30-40% just finishing, many are walking as soon as they calculate they will get across the line ahead of the cut. On multi-loop courses, you can spot the waves. Sub-10 hour racers are striding strong and may walk a couple aid stations - 10-12 hour racers are walking the aid stations and may take stroll here and there... once the 14 hour+ racers are on the course, the majority are walking most of the time.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: How many walk the run [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More than will admit it.
Quote Reply
Re: How many walk the run [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my first olympic tri coming up in a few weeks. I don't plan to walk during the run but if I have to, I will.

I only started running this year, prior to which I haven't run for over a decade. When I started running this year I couldn't go longer than 30 seconds at a time without a lot of pain. So I would love to run the 10km but if things don't go to plan on race day I already know I have come a long way in a few months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i do a planned run/walk...did not at earlier ims, but find that i recover quicker that way..usually 2:00/:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once shuffled a marathon after a 112 mile bike in which I crashed at mile 59 and tore a ligament in my knee. "running" a marathon while bleeding from 7 different spots on your body is not recommended. yet, im signed up for another full for 2018.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Wow thanks for the responses so far everyone! As someone who is yet to race in a half or full I was under the impression that everyone pretty much run the whole way. Now it seems quite normal for periods of walking.

I've done 5. Was carrying a knee injury into one. I ran the whole way in that. Was scared if I stopped I wouldn't be able to go again. That's my run pb by 8min and my only kq
Last edited by: Brett runs: Mar 24, 18 16:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, and on Olympics, too...for myself, it was all mental. Got in my head each time and couldn't dig out. It happens. :)

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have almost always undercooked the bike but that has led to some very satisfactory IM runs.

The one exception was IMTahoe...... it was really hard to go easy enough on the bike. No matter how much I tried to hold back, I still had to get up those hills. I knew with 30 miles left on the bike that the run was going to suck. I still ran-walked a 3:48 but it was very disappointing to feel like my legs just wouldn't do what I wanted them to do.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next